Pictures of Minis

For the discussion of existing Arion Games sets as well as from other manufacturers, and wishlists for future sets

Moderator: bottg

mozi470

35 mm Flat Pirates

Postby mozi470 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:49 pm

My kids and I have been enjoying Sid Meier's Pirates this week. I thought I'd try my hand at resizing and cutting out some flats from Pirate sets 1, 2, and 3--plus a duelist from one of the fantasy packs. It's a bit of work, but by combining them with some free paper hex bases I found online, I like how they turned out, and they look especially nice in the paper village I've been creating. I love the triagonals, but the flats are a bit more portable. I may have to try this with some of the fantasy sets.

Image[/img]
RabidFox
Knight

Postby RabidFox » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 am

Pic looks great Mozi.
You did a great job on the figures.

You also did a great job on the terrain from the looks of it.
The buildings and road Mozi, are they:
1) Tom Tullis of FDG's Dragonshire;
2) Denny Unger of WWG's Himmelveil;
3) Dave Graffam of DGM's Medieval Buildings
terrain?
Just curious.
mozi470

Postby mozi470 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:23 am

The buildings and roads are all from FDG's Dragonshire Deluxe set. I'm still growing my paper modeling skills, but they are nice to work with. Supportive community, too.
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Very very nice indeed!

I have a Desert Fortress from papermodels.at that i made up some time ago (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=20640&it=1) that i should dig out and photograph with some of the Desert Warriors set.
FASAfan

Re: 35 mm Flat Pirates

Postby FASAfan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:51 am

mozi470 wrote:My kids and I have been enjoying Sid Meier's Pirates this week. I thought I'd try my hand at resizing and cutting out some flats from Pirate sets 1, 2, and 3--plus a duelist from one of the fantasy packs. It's a bit of work, but by combining them with some free paper hex bases I found online, I like how they turned out, and they look especially nice in the paper village I've been creating. I love the triagonals, but the flats are a bit more portable. I may have to try this with some of the fantasy sets.

Image[/img]

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!
"Alright, we don't understand the R2D2 crap. We're going to use the Star Trek system. One blink for yes, two blinks for no." ~ John Crichton, Farscape
FASAfan

Postby FASAfan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:30 am

Agathos wrote:Here are a few pictures from a game I did today with my wife. We were testing out some rules for a new miniature game I am designing.

Great pictures! I have to admit I've got the urge to do a little wargaming now after seeing those!!
"Alright, we don't understand the R2D2 crap. We're going to use the Star Trek system. One blink for yes, two blinks for no." ~ John Crichton, Farscape
FASAfan

Postby FASAfan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:37 am

I mount cropped Arion Games images onto 1" diameter wooden discs/counters available at hobby stores (for instance, in bags of 7 or 8 ).

I use a label making program (available from WorldLabel.com) that allows me to print up to 63 one-inch diameter images. The software also allows me to print anywhere on the page, so I could theoretically have 63 different images, all of which would fit on a 1 inch disc. I can also place text and a numerical counter. You'll see that on the images.

After the image is printed, I use a 1" diameter hole punch (also available at hobby/craft stores) and punch the images out. I used to use 1" circular label paper with adhesive backing to print on. That saved a couple of steps (punching and mounting with either glue or double-sided tape), but my printer is contrary and often doesn't print "between the lines" as it were...

This scale works well with 1 inch = 5 feet (or 1.5 meters) scale common in roleplaying games. The 5 feet represents the area a person would occupy - his/her "personal space" as it were.

Want to use a larger figure, such as the Jotnar from the Vikings set? No problem! Scale it up and put it on a 2" diameter disc to represent 10 feet! Works great for horses, too: mount a horse image on a 2" counter and you can place any other counter right on top to denote that it is riding the hose.

I could go on and on about this process; it has revolutionized how I game. If you want to know more, just e-mail me at FASAfan (@) hotmail.com.

Here are some I've done: Saxons (ARG017) versus Celts (ARG028)!!

CTW = Celtic Warrior
SXT = Saxon Thegn
SXF = Saxon Fyrdsman

You may notice that I modified one of the Celtic Warrior images to make a Pict out of him (blue paint on his face). I've done some others, but they aren't mounted yet.

If it weren't for the .ppt files, I couldn't get a good enough resolution to do this. So, thanks Graham!!

mozi470

Postby mozi470 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:54 pm

These are really nicely done! Very cool.
FASAfan

Postby FASAfan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:14 am

mozi470 wrote:These are really nicely done! Very cool.

Thanks! I enjoy making them - very relaxing.

Hope you don't mind, but I saved the images of your halfling and rogue modifications. They will be nice additions to my collected artwork =) I really like the halfling.

Do you have any more modifications?

Lee
JohnK

Re: Pictures of Minis

Postby JohnK » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Two elves and a beorning for my Middle Earth game, printed on cardboard and with paper binderclips as bases 19mm.
The battle mat used is a milliemeter page on which I drew a few trees and some rocks (top view).
Maybe you might recognise the beorning which is included in one of the Arion Games sets!!!
Attachments
photo minis.jpg
photo minis.jpg (102.61 KiB) Viewed 734 times
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Return to “Paper Miniatures”