Large figures and triagonal shape

For the discussion of existing Arion Games sets as well as from other manufacturers, and wishlists for future sets

Moderator: bottg

Rastl

Large figures and triagonal shape

Post by Rastl » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Here's something that came up during my most recent use of the standees.

The Large characters (anything over a single square) don't actually touch all the squares they cover when they're built. The triangle shape doesn't allow for that.

So when my folks were fighting the Ogre it was difficult to see what squares he occupied (lots) and what squares he threatened (lots more).

I know it would take more work to make anything that's larger than a single square into a rectangle than a triangle (one more image, more space on the page) but it really would cover the right amount of squares on the board.

Discuss.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:50 pm

I think this came about because i have never played D&D 3 onwards, and although i use the miniatures a lot, we don't use a "squared" battlemat.

It would take more work, but not a massive amount more.

What i will do is a trial when i release the Monsters II set in a week or so, and we can see what people think.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm

The Monsters II set is nearly done, and i will create an extra box-shaped version of one of the large creatures. I will post that here for comments.

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 pm

Looking forward to it!

Photoner Hawkwind

Post by Photoner Hawkwind » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:40 am

I've found that when I want to have my larger creatures take up their equivalent amount of space, I will glue them to a foam core base cut to the size necessary. my reguler size figures are glued to a 1 inch square foam core base and the base does help a lot with added stability.
"Political correctness is just being polite to anyone who is not exactly the same as you, which is everybody." - Me

"People who quote themselves are a little wierd." - Me

Rastl

Post by Rastl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 pm

parkusuk wrote:The Monsters II set is nearly done, and i will create an extra box-shaped version of one of the large creatures. I will post that here for comments.
Did I miss the posting? Is there a four sided monster lurking in the forum snickering to itself because I flubbed my Spot role?
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Just getting to it!

get it here: squareblooddemon.ppt

and let me know what you think