Pictures of Minis

For the discussion of existing Arion Games sets as well as from other manufacturers, and wishlists for future sets

Moderator: bottg

bottg
Site Admin

Pictures of Minis

Post by bottg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:41 pm

I think it would be good to have some pictures of our minis, as opposed to the images from the minis.

Due to time constraints, these first few are very old and from the instructions sheet:

A-FRAME

INVERTED T

TRIAGONAL

More to follow soon from us, but feel free to post images of your own[/b]

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:44 pm

And here are a couple of pictures of "Xombies attack" using our figures:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/220135

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/220138

Agathos

Post by Agathos » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Here are a few pictures from a game I did today with my wife. We were testing out some rules for a new miniature game I am designing.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Very Nice. I especially like the ronded tops

Agathos

Post by Agathos » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 am

parkusuk wrote:Very Nice. I especially like the ronded tops
I prefer to remove as much of the blank paper as possible. It takes a little time, and I have to be careful since the front and back doesn't always match perfectly, but I think the miniatures look a little better then.

derfinsterling

Post by derfinsterling » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Agathos wrote:
parkusuk wrote:Very Nice. I especially like the ronded tops
I prefer to remove as much of the blank paper as possible. It takes a little time, and I have to be careful since the front and back doesn't always match perfectly, but I think the miniatures look a little better then.

Agreed. I first did this for our Sundered Skies game, I'll do it for all my games in the future. ;-)

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:44 pm

How much cutting I do depends on two factors:
1) How long is this figure expected to be used?
Longer justifies more work.
2) Who am I using the figure with?
Is the gamer going to not have a good time because he is constantly distracted by the amount of white around the figure?

Seriously, I rarely cut back the white here.
Most gamers here can handle the white border.
The ones that cannot usually have other problems with the core of the group here so they do not come back on their own volition or more often, do not get invited back.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:00 pm

I have included some pictures of the free lizardmen with some of the battlemats here:

http://arion-games.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=150

Photoner Hawkwind

Post by Photoner Hawkwind » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:59 am

I reall like the rounded tops too. I may have try some of that.

Right now I have been adding 1" foam coreboard to the bases to give a little more stability and the Inverted T style seems to work best for these too.
"Political correctness is just being polite to anyone who is not exactly the same as you, which is everybody." - Me

"People who quote themselves are a little wierd." - Me

mozi470

Some altered images

Post by mozi470 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:03 pm

After doing some experimentation, I decided it might be fun to customize some of my minis. I pray I am not offending the artist by messing with his work or by posting them here (If I am, I will happily cease and desist), but I thought that I'd share a couple of altered images.

A halfling without her helmet

An altered rogue with a longsword and a bit more armor:

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue May 12, 2009 6:46 pm

These look excellent! As far as i am concerned, tweak them to your hearts content. One of my own group is an inverterate doodler, and as soon as you hand him his paper miniature, he will draw on a different hat, add a cloak etc etc.
Maybe not quite in the same league, but one of the reasons for releasing the ppt version is so that images can be copied into a graphics programme and altered (change cloak colours etc) and so that the text at the bottom can be altered.

dusser

Post by dusser » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:30 am

I'm new to Arion games, but like what I have purchased thus far. I primarily play table top miniature games, but don't have the time or funds to play all the periods I am interested in. With that in mind I purchased some Arion figure sets to make paper armies. Here are some Crusaders scaled at 15mm and arranged into stands per the rules I am using. The process of grouping them was easy and pretty fun to do, so I am experimenting with making larger Fantasy armies too. Here are some pictures of my project prototypes.

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:38 am

Welcome from a fellow affectionado of Graham's work.

I like the unit bases you came up with.
A real workable solution.

dusser

Post by dusser » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:04 am

Thanks Rabid,
The bases are made from plastic "For Sale" signs you can pick up in grocery stores or hardware stores. They are roughly 20mm by 40mm, though the Cavalry are a bit wider.

Having fun with these and will definitely get more.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:04 pm

They are nice!

I did some "Roman Unit" figures for an issue of Targum a while ago along these lines.

This is actually one of the reasons i supply a powerpoint version. It is an easy way to extract the base images. These can be used in homebrew handouts, character illustrations, unit figures, flat counters, online (Fantasy Grounds etc) tokens etc.