Wishlist

For the discussion of existing Arion Games sets as well as from other manufacturers, and wishlists for future sets

Moderator: bottg

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Agathos wrote:
RabidFox wrote:
Agathos wrote:I think this is a choice that Arion Games must take on their own, because only they can estimate the costs and revenues.
"their"?
"they"?
Arion is just Graham, Graham and Graham Agathos.
And he tries to do everything we ask for because he works on the principle if one, two or maybe even five vocal people are asking for a set, most likely, there are a good number of folks just not willing to do the asking who want it too.
This just makes it all the more impressive :).
Agathos, what makes it truly impressive is that he has a real job and a sheep herd AND a family besides Arion.
To add on top of all that, he is a gamer too.

That is why I am thankful that he listens to all of us as to what we need from him and then plugs it into his business plan.
Agathos. Graham does NOT just forge ahead and do whatever he feels like.
He wants, no, he desires and needs our input as to what he will produce.
This way he feels he can stay on track as to what Arion can and will sell.

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:45 pm

Minotaure wrote:
RabidFox wrote: Just look at all of the sci-fi sets and then ask that question.
... do you think that is a bit much?
No, I do not. In fact I bought most of them.

What I meant is that this underwater stuff is pretty special. Every SF-campaign needs tons of different miniatures but only a few will need underwater minis. Same for Fantasy, Steam Punk or modern campains.

If you do an underwater campaign though you'll need a variety of minis irrespective of the genre you're playing in: sharks, mantas, a carnivorous plant or two, native folks, etc. so the segregation in multiple genre specific sets may be less reasonable than a themed set for multiple genres.

Just my 2 cents.
Actually, it reads like you have spent and put in far more than two cents Minotaure and good for you.
In my not so humble opinion, Graham makes the best paper miniatures in the business . . . ever!
I have been gaming for over 35 years so I have seen them come and I have seen too many go, but Graham's efforts beat all the competition in this sector of the industry.

Actually, if you look at the sets you bought you will see an interesting fact.
The quantity of content drives the price.
Some sets are really small like Orientals, Science Fiction Soldiers I and Robots so they have a smaller price; while others are huge like King Arthur, Dragonlords and WWII Germans which Graham has graciously let us have at a reduced price.
Minotaure, people may be more willing to pay a smaller price for just the figures they want instead of buying a set like the huge ones at Graham's highest price which may have a considerable number of figures they have no need for.

For some of us, like myself, it does not really matter; I buy just about every set Graham produces.
Granted, I did not buy the Victorians or YOTZ - O.K. Diner, but those are the only sets I will not buy he has made so far.

As far as the marine sets, in my opinion, Graham and Arion would be better off with four small 3-4 sheet sets.

Agathos

Post by Agathos » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:36 pm

RabidFox wrote: He wants, no, he desires and needs our input as to what he will produce.
This way he feels he can stay on track as to what Arion can and will sell.
It was never my intention to say we shouldn't tell him what we would like to see in the future (and obviously I have done that a lot myself) neither was it my intention to suggest that he shouldn't listen to our suggestions, I only pointed out that when it comes to the economic part, Arion Games knows best what to do because only the company have the full picture of costs and income.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:49 pm

I will say that i want to keep hearing what people want.

Some suggestions don't really have enough "sales potential" to really justify. An example would be the Aztecs set. If i had unlimited time and money i would do an aztec set, an incan set, a mayan set etc etc
However, 99% of gamers buying this sort of set are using a fantasy homologue of the aztecs, and want something aztec-y.

On the other hand, more generic areas such as "sci-fi" or "fantasy" are great for me, in that i can produce another set of fantasy heroes, and people who have bought all three will still buy it to have more variety, but a new customer may just buy that if they like the selection.

The other consideration is (computer) model availability. There are loads of fantasy marine models, and loads of real-world fish etc. There are some modern and victorian style models, but nowehere near as many. For this idea i think i may do a fantasy set, and then put some modern and victorian divers in the bonus area. I would also try and get the "fish" on one page and the mermaids etc on another page. Then everyone is happy.

As far as the we/me/i etc bit goes, i do often refer to the company as us or we, even though i do 95% of the work. My friends are part of it, but in a mainly advisory role.

I will admit i have a lot going on, hence my occasional tardiness in replying to pasts or emails, with paper miniatures, custom illustrations, two separate RPG book projects, another big RPG project in development, a board game collaboration, a sheep far, a day job and a family, but i also have to say i LOVE it all! :D

So keep the thoughts, suggestions and discussion going, because i like to produce stuff that people want. And the other day i was looking at some figures and realised i have had more than 4,000 customers since i started. And then i though about all the games worldwide with my products featuring in them.......and then i had to lie down in a darkened room!

Lastly, check out the latest (off-schedule) set, a bit of fun, but i like it!

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Phew. Bit of an essay that!

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:59 am

But an essay all Arion customer can and should appreciate Graham.
Thank you for your efforts.

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:36 am

parkusuk wrote:... .
The other consideration is (computer) model availability. There are loads of fantasy marine models, and loads of real-world fish etc. There are some modern and victorian style models, but nowehere near as many. For this idea i think i may do a fantasy set, and then put some modern and victorian divers in the bonus area. I would also try and get the "fish" on one page and the mermaids etc on another page. Then everyone is happy.

... .
Graham, we seem to have two distinct needs here in this thread so two sets, instead of just one and some freebees, might actually be better.
Agathos as he has said a couple of times wants just fantasy aquatic figures.
On the other hand, Minotaure was very specific earlier on some modern aquatic needs; he actually presented his specific needs in list form earlier in this thread; needs that cannot possibly be addressed in a fantasy set really.

Graham, could you possibly do:
A fantasy underwater set for those gamers like Agathos (4-6 pager);
A modern underwater set for those gamers like Minotaure.
Quite honestly Graham, I have nil-to-little use personally for the fantasy set, but a good bit more of a use for the modern one, especially if you included a couple pages of Victorian (Nemo) & Vintage (1940s) underwater figures in it. (4-8 pager)

Agathos

Post by Agathos » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 am

RabidFox wrote: Agathos as he has said a couple of times wants just fantasy aquatic figures.
Well, I've said once that I prefer Fantasy, if a choice was to be made, but if its possible to create more aquatic sets then certainly I would not mind that. I'll buy every single set anyway.

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:08 am

Your "preference" appeared to simply be a way to politely indicate no interest whatsoever in a "modern" set Agathos.
You never indicated in any way that you would be interested in a modern one.
Pardon me for simply taking what you posted to be your stand on the issue.

I am glad that you enjoy Graham's work enough to "... buy every single set ...".
You are one of many loyal customers of Graham's.
I myself, must be considered a little less loyal because I have not and have no intention in the future of picking up either the Victorian or the YOTZ: O.K. Diner sets.
I simply have no use for them at all.

Anyway, I hope there will be no problem to have two Underwater sets produced for the reasons stated in prior postings.
We will see what Graham cranks out.

Minotaure

Post by Minotaure » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:45 pm

RabidFox wrote:Actually, it reads like you have spent and put in far more than two cents Minotaure and good for you.
Well that Down Below thing keeps floating up in my mind every year or so since I read the aforementiones Fathom - and that's many tides ago.

So it had some time growing.
parkusk wrote:For this idea i think i may do a fantasy set, and then put some modern and victorian divers in the bonus area. I would also try and get the "fish" on one page and the mermaids etc on another page. Then everyone is happy.
That'll suite me fine. Thanks a lot.

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:40 am

After a little investigating Graham, let me hand you some links that would explain Minotaure's not quite fantasy underwater point:
1)
http://www.amazon.com/Fathom-Definitive ... 240&sr=1-1
2)
http://www.amazon.com/Fathom-Killians-M ... 240&sr=1-6
There far more here and at comics sites.
Talked to some gaming comic nuts I know, and they would be interested in a set of figures similar to the Fathom background.
Told them that the figures would not be identical to the characters, but similar, and that they could play game rules of their choosing with the figures.
There was some enthusiasm; it was not effusive by any definition; it was present though.

The pure fantasy set just would not be a good fit for this or similar settings Graham.
This setting Minotaure enjoys takes real history and walks under the surface with it into a slightly fey world.

FASAfan

Post by FASAfan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:59 am

Just reviving this thread a bit... =)
parkusuk wrote:I will say that i want to keep hearing what people want.

Some suggestions don't really have enough "sales potential" to really justify. An example would be the Aztecs set. If i had unlimited time and money i would do an aztec set, an incan set, a mayan set etc etc
However, 99% of gamers buying this sort of set are using a fantasy homologue of the aztecs, and want something aztec-y.
1.) I'd personally love an "Aztec-y" set. If geared towards fantasy, a mix of Incan, Mayan, and Aztec models all in one set would be fine. Two poses each of a male and female for the three cultures would result in 12 figures (2 x males, 2 x females for Aztecs; 2 x m, 2 x f for Mayans, etc.). Just food for thought. I'd buy it!

2.) Always looking for British/European civilians circa 1500 to 1800. Upper, Lower, Middle Class and Clergy. Any "Gothic" (in the broadest sense) are nice, too. These would work great for Gothic Horror!

3.) American Civil War. I may be the only one interested, but I'd love to see those!

4.) And last, but certainly not least: LIVESTOCK!! I know there is a mix of livestock across the various sets (horses, cows, even an ox). I'd love to see more for set pieces: chickens, goats, sheep, dog, cat, milk maid... you get the picture! The nice thing about livestock is that they don't change over the millennia! A cow's a cow; a sheep's a sheep! This set could be used in conjunction with EVERY existing set! Nice marketing appeal... ;-)

Lastly, just a note of thanks, Graham! I don't post here often, but I'm a vocal fan of yours and steer as many folks as I can to your fine work!

Best,

Lee
"Alright, we don't understand the R2D2 crap. We're going to use the Star Trek system. One blink for yes, two blinks for no." ~ John Crichton, Farscape