Question about mix-and-matching

For the discussion of existing Arion Games sets as well as from other manufacturers, and wishlists for future sets

Moderator: bottg

derfinsterling

Question about mix-and-matching

Post by derfinsterling » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I have several sets and of course my players never choose their characters from one set, but from like 7 different ones. Plus, I also do mix the monsters and so on as well.

So I create custom sheets using OpenOffice's Impress (like Powerpoint, for those not familiar with OO)

I always cut the figures sans the grey area that's supposed to be glued below the standees in the flat setup and *then* size them to 9,2 cm length.

Since I do this for all minis, it all evens out in the end - but I was wondering today if this was actually the intention. Or would you have said to size them to 9,2cm including the grey field, making the figure itself a little smaller?

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:35 pm

Graham, I think this fellow is asking for a service like Precis Intermedia Games (PIG) does with their customization feature they have for their figure sets.
Instead of paying 3.95/4.95USD, you pay 6.95/7.95 USD and you can custom up what you wish to print among the sets you have purchased from them.

From my point of view, it would be a cool feature, but the increased costs (an additional ~85%) may make it prohibitive for any and/or all concerned.
I do not know.
What say you Graham?

derfinsterling

Post by derfinsterling » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:02 am

Well, not really. ;-)

TripleAceGames has such a feature for their minis as well, and while awesome if you want to print, let's say, 20 of the same figure from one set, you can't do this over three sets - ie, 4 times the knight in red from Heroes2 and 7 justiciars from Heroes3 and so on.

Meanwhile I looked at some of the Powerpoint freebies that are available in the bonus area - there the figures are set to 9,2 cm length *including* the shaded grey box.
So that answers that question.

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 am

derfinsterling wrote:... .

... you can't do this over three sets - ie, 4 times the knight in red from Heroes2 and 7 justiciars from Heroes3 and so on.

With PIG you can do the above.
That is why I agreed that it would be wonderful to have this on-line feature from Arion.
I like Arion figures much more than anyone else's I have tried and this feature would be an added plus.+++++

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:27 am

You think that a PIG-style download system might be worthwhile?

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:42 pm

It is much easier for those of us that do not think MS Office is king!
Having the .ppt is pretty worthless if you do not have that primitive piece of software junk from MS.

The question is though, having all of their Disposable Heroes sets in a database that buyers can manipulate for their gaming needs, costs PIG how much?
It may simply not be feasible for Arion even if you go back and charge the prior purchasers a fee to use the database with the sets they have already purchased.
Plus, will you in your retroactive charges have to be to the level of +$3USD of PIG or because they would be retroactive. will the charges be less expensive?
You could not afford not charging the ones like me that have 40+ easy of the Arion sets at least something to help defer the costs of the database.

Personally. I will have to be circumspect in deciding which sets to pay to have access to first.
I would eventually transfer all of mine over to the database access because that maximises the utility of all my sets for me, but it would take 3-5 years to do it in a fashion where catching my prior sets up to database access standard would not detract my funds wrongfully from keeping up with releases with database acccess for each of those as I acquire them.

Overall, I would love to have Arion possess the database access for its customers like PIG does; it would enhance the value of the sets I buy.
It could even encourage me to buy sets faster that I may only want 3-5 of the figures out of it.
I am just concerned about the costs of getting my already purchased sets' access to the database.

mozi470

PPT is not king

Post by mozi470 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:11 am

If you want to take advantage of the ppt file without using Microsoft's material, you might try OpenOffice's "Impress" presentation program. It's free, it's not Microsoft, and it let's you do pretty much everything you'd want as far as customization goes.

You can download the OpenOffice suite here: http://download.openoffice.org/

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:59 am

Mozi470, welcome aboard!

Thank you for the referral for OpenOffice.
I have had OpenOffice for a while now; use it on those stubborn MS docs that flat out refuse to open in Corel.
The OpenOffice piece of software that is .ppt-similar does not quite work as well as true .ppt, but it works with the Arion figure files.
It still takes a good bit of work to work with the figures .ppts.

I take it you have no customizable sets with PIG mozi470.
Let me tell you the honest truth; it is far easier the PIG way, than doing the .ppt path.
FAR easier!
Just input what you want from the PIG sets you have bought and "Voila!", what you wanted is there in a .pdf you can use for as long as you have the .pdf.

If Graham decides to go PIG's customizable way with the on-line service; I cannot see him losing money at all.
I will transition all of the sets I have purchased to the new customizable PIG-style format and pay for my future sets to be in that style.
The ease is just so much greater than using the .ppt figures.

Granted mozi470, there may be some sort of really odd assortment someone may want from their customizable figure sets that the PIG-style system cannot do, but I cannot see it as a common problem.
I have not ran into one in the years I have had the PIG figure sets I do.

mozi470

Post by mozi470 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:57 am

Thanks for the welcome, Rabid.

I actually have some PIG miniatures. Bought them because of their number and price when I was first looking into the paper miniature thing. I also bought a set of Arion miniatures to compare the two. I see what you're saying about the customization capabilities of the PIG setup, but once Graham started doing the ppt versions, I had way more fun playing with them and haven't been to PIG to check on my sets since. Btw, can you change the names on individual minis with PIG's setup? I can't remember.

I hear what you're saying--it is nice to run down the list and essentially check off what you want, but I'm ambivalent as to which is actually better since I like not needing to worry about internet access when creating customized sets.

Alex

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:40 am

mozi470 wrote:... .

I actually have some PIG miniatures. Bought them because of their number and price when I was first looking into the paper miniature thing. I also bought a set of Arion miniatures to compare the two.
There is no comparison, right?
Arion's are much better!
I am not really into the cartoon style figures myself.
mozi470 wrote:I see what you're saying about the customization capabilities of the PIG setup, but once Graham started doing the ppt versions, I had way more fun playing with them and haven't been to PIG to check on my sets since. Btw, can you change the names on individual minis with PIG's setup? I can't remember.
Yes, but it must be something sequential last time I tried naming any figures, which was over a year ago at least, maybe even two or more.
Stopped with the labels because so very few folks go through life with a name tag on so I thought it was too unreal for my figures.
Heard that PIG had upgraded the labelling capacity of their system so that it did not need to be something sequential, but have not personally checked on it.
mozi470 wrote:I hear what you're saying--it is nice to run down the list and essentially check off what you want, but I'm ambivalent as to which is actually better since I like not needing to worry about internet access when creating customized sets.

Alex
I do not worry about my internet connection; I would have to lose my landline phone service to lose my broadband internet connection and that is highly unlikely.
So I have extreme reliability in that regards.
Being on-line after that is not a problem in any way.
After you make the set on-line, you have a .pdf that you can continuously use on your own computer off-line so that is not a worry either.

I just feel the PIG-style on-line customizable figure selection capacity would be a wonderful asset to the Arion Games Figure line.

mozi470

A weakness

Post by mozi470 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 pm

I have discovered one powerpoint weakness since we last chatted--saving my custom powerpoint sheets results in image degradation. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to change how powerpoint treats and saves these images (I think it defaults to 96 dpi), but I haven't had much luck with my Office 2007 suite yet. I also haven't tested OpenOffice to see if it runs into the same issues--too busy with work these days to devote the proper time to that possible solution.