Suggestion/Request: 18th Century England

For the discussion of existing Arion Games sets as well as from other manufacturers, and wishlists for future sets

Moderator: bottg

Dr Magister

Suggestion/Request: 18th Century England

Post by Dr Magister » Sat May 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi there, I have a suggestion for a set of figures. (Mostly because I would absolutely love such a set!)

How about a set of 18th century figures, representing the Britain of Daniel Defoe, Jonathan Swift and Henry Fielding? It would tie into the Pirate sets (which I own all of) beautifully. The world of Moll Flanders, Dick Turpin, Doctor Syn, Tom Jones, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Treasure Island, Rob Roy, Kidnapped, Last of the Mohicans and Moonfleet offers massive (and sadly unexplored) potential for roleplay games.

I've been thinking of the possibilities and it seems like it could be quite an interesting set.

Possible figures could be:

Gentleman; Lady; Fop; Clergyman; Rake; Highwayman; Pickpocket; Footpad; Prostitute; Bow Street Runner; Street Urchin; Sailor; Militia-man; Customs Officer(s); Smuggler(s); Beggar(s); Spy; Doctor; Army/Naval Officer, Duellist; Pugilist; Country Squire (Suitably stout!); Jacobite/Highlander; French Revolutionary.

And for the American market, you could always throw in some Minute-Men, Woodsmen Colonial Milita etc.

Obviously I appreciate that you have yourself a punishing schedule anyway, but what do you think? A possibility for the future?

Thanks very much!

Dr. Magister

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Sat May 22, 2010 6:42 pm

You want a Seven Years War set?
Or is it just a generic 18th Century that is full-size ($5-30 figures and additional items) or extra large set ($10-Rolemaster Rome quantity) you want?

Dr Magister

Post by Dr Magister » Sat May 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Just a generic 18th century set really. A Seven Years War set would be too militarily orientated I think.

I suppose just a standard size set (the 30 figure one I think). Would that be 15 in flat and Triagonal, or 30 characters in both? If you could think of enough different characters to create an extra-large set, I'd certainly want that instead/as well.

Cheers!

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sat May 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I actually thought of this when the tv programme "City of Sin" was on last year. This was set at the birth of the british police force, and fits almost exactly with your suggestion.

Consider it added to the production list!

Dr Magister

Post by Dr Magister » Sat May 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Was that City of Vice, about the Fieldings and the Bow Street Runners? It was a really good series.

Fantastic! I very much look forward to it.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sat May 22, 2010 10:40 pm

Dr Magister wrote:Was that City of Vice, about the Fieldings and the Bow Street Runners? It was a really good series.

Fantastic! I very much look forward to it.
Damn my defective memory!! It was indeed city of vice. I thought that was an excellent series, but much too short. WIth any luck they will make another one.

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Sat May 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Dr Magister wrote:... .

I suppose just a standard size set (the 30 figure one I think). Would that be 15 in flat and Triagonal, or 30 characters in both? If you could think of enough different characters to create an extra-large set, I'd certainly want that instead/as well.
... .
Graham generally works in these increments when it comes to his sets:
Small set 15 figures $3USD
Standard set 30 figures $5USD
Extra Large set 60+ figures $10USD
There was only one of the extra large sets (so far).
Additionally, there have been a few smaller small sets that have ranged from $0.50USD to $2.50USD.

To answer the one question you asked, Graham always does a figure in both flat and triagonal within each of his sets.
He would probably catch all sorts of ... if he did not. :D

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Sat May 22, 2010 11:04 pm

parkusuk wrote:... .

Consider it added to the production list!
Dear, dear, dear Graham, we flood him with good ideas, then we have to wait until he has the time.
Meanwhile, we all pine away until a relevant set finally comes out 6-18 months down the line, and usually it is not quite the set we thought we asked for.
Why?
Because other people were also giving him what they wanted in this particular set as well.
Additionally, Graham is trying to come out with wider ranging, but relevant figures and not just the variations on a theme that we sometimes ask for.

If Graham did do everything everyone asked for, in my opinion, there would only be about six sets released every year, they would be very large and probably go for $20USD each, and biz would be terribly slow for Arion because the waiting list for what we would want would be ten years long.
Instead, Graham tries to give us all a taste of what we have asked for with the hope that there will be another set of that style/genre/whatever farther down the line.
Look at us Pulp players - four sets (2 Reg & 2 Sm) and we still bug Graham about what we do not have yet.
Granted, we do not have the number of sets that the Sci-Fi player has or especially the Fantasy player does; it just seems like more because Graham keeps it simple for us Pulp gamers - set I, set II, set III and set IV.
Here's looking at set V hopefully in no more than a year. :) :cry: :lol: :cry: 8) :!:

Thank you Graham for all of your skills at making these great paper figures, and for all of the patience you must have to exercise regularly with all of us customers telling you what we want and that we want it now.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Mon May 24, 2010 8:35 pm

I have to say i am always open to requests, as usually that kick-starts the creative part of my brain! I also know i try and take on too many projects at once, usually slowing things down, but i should still be releasing 15+ sets of paper minis per year.

The philosophy behind the 15-figure sets is that they take me a few weeks to make, but are also low cost. That way, people can cherry pick the sets they need. The bundles then give people the chance to buy a whole genre-spanning set more cheaply.

Some genres, particularly the military ones, need a bigger set to fit everything in, thus the 30-figure sets. The Rolemaster Rome one was so huge because most of those electronic models were created for the book illustrations and it seemed a shame not to turn them into figures.

I know i won't please everyone every time, but hopefully people will get what they want. I do know that i have the widest range of figures out there, covering many genres that no-one else would do!