Paper Miniature Format Poll

For the discussion of existing Arion Games sets as well as from other manufacturers, and wishlists for future sets

Moderator: bottg

Which style do you prefer for your Paper Miniatures?

Flat (Inverted T-shape)
30%
A-Frame
15%
Triagonal
35%
Counters (2D)
10%
Depends on the game/situation
10%

Total votes: 20

bottg
Site Admin

Paper Miniature Format Poll

Post by bottg » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:01 pm

Which style do you prefer for your Paper Miniatures?

locke1520

Post by locke1520 » Sat May 06, 2006 4:59 pm

I answered for triangle format because that is my most frequent choice (everyone at the table can see what or who the mini represents regardless of angle). I have a small qualification to than answer, however: In the case of prop pieces such as tents or shop stalls the shape of the item in question seems to dictate the shape of the mini...Tents are "A" shaped so why change it?

Again since my distinction fell to less than say 2% of the time I use paper-minis I felt that my triangle answer best reflected my opinion so long as I posted this quick bit of explanation.

FASAfan

Post by FASAfan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:45 pm

I voted for the triangular mini, although I also really liked 2-D counters in the past.

I really enjoyed the 2-D counters that came with the 3rd edition D&D boxed set (introductory game) about 8 years back and I've actually made my own 2-D counters using 1" round label paper, a label making program, and 1" wooden disks.

Lee
"Alright, we don't understand the R2D2 crap. We're going to use the Star Trek system. One blink for yes, two blinks for no." ~ John Crichton, Farscape

Photoner Hawkwind

Post by Photoner Hawkwind » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:59 am

I use the triagonal for larger than human figures and place the inverted T figure inside to show if someone is riding the large creature. Otherwise I use the inverted T because I can glue them to a 1" foam core base for better stability.
"Political correctness is just being polite to anyone who is not exactly the same as you, which is everybody." - Me

"People who quote themselves are a little wierd." - Me

baez

Post by baez » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:46 pm

I chose the inverted T. But I don't actually build them into inverted Ts. I bought a bunch of these card stands:

http://store.mrchips.net/index.php/cPath/27_59

So I just fold them in half ... no gluing at all. Now if I could just figure out how to get rid of the cutting step. ;-)

-joe

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:06 am

Those bases look really interesting. I will have to track down a UK supplier and get some of those to try.

baez

Post by baez » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:12 am

Funny you should say that. When looking for stands, the first success I found was in the UK:

http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/Ma ... _1356.html

Scroll down to "Plastic Card Stand type CS2 (pack of 10)"

There is also a "type CS1" above that, but I can't vouch for those as I never found them for sale in the US.

Take care,

-joe

Rastl

Post by Rastl » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:02 am

I prefer the triagonal because it gives a better sense of where things are. The only issue I have is when the creatures take up more than a single square. Then they don't quite fit as I would like. But then again they wouldn't be triangles at that point either.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Photoner Hawkwind

Post by Photoner Hawkwind » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:08 am

I have really been enjoying the boxed shaped vehicles from some of the modern and SciFi military sets. They have a more realistic feel than triagonal. I hope there cwill be alot more of these in the future.
"Political correctness is just being polite to anyone who is not exactly the same as you, which is everybody." - Me

"People who quote themselves are a little wierd." - Me

heathd666

Post by heathd666 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:57 pm

i use em the same as baez except for big things and vehicles etc then i use the tri fold ones i bought a bunch of the bases from mr chips site as well. the majority of what i run is savage worlds so i really enjoy the t base/aframe build i have at times ran out of the pack of 100 bases i bought so now i also carry a box of paper clips and fold em if i need to.

heathd666

Post by heathd666 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:00 pm

i use em the same as baez except for big things and vehicles etc then i use the tri fold ones i bought a bunch of the bases from mr chips site as well. the majority of what i run is savage worlds so i really enjoy the t base/aframe build i have at times ran out of the pack of 100 bases i bought so now i also carry a box of paper clips and fold em if i need to. i should reitterate i dont use the flats provided as i can get more bang for my buck by using em in a 81/2x11 odp form i made with open office :)

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:03 am

If I'm going to use minatures for say, important antagonists/NPCs instead of just coins, then yes I use the inverted T with a stand.

For grunts/minions I tend to use coins to save money (lol), especially if they're all one type/race.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 am

MountainPeak11 wrote:If I'm going to use minatures for say, important antagonists/NPCs instead of just coins, then yes I use the inverted T with a stand.

For grunts/minions I tend to use coins to save money (lol), especially if they're all one type/race.
You can of course use the powerpoint version of a paper mini set, extract the front image, resize if necessary and then print as flat counters. You get an awful lot of those to a page.

MountainPeak11
Adventurer

Post by MountainPeak11 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:57 pm

parkusuk wrote:
MountainPeak11 wrote:If I'm going to use minatures for say, important antagonists/NPCs instead of just coins, then yes I use the inverted T with a stand.

You can of course use the powerpoint version of a paper mini set, extract the front image, resize if necessary and then print as flat counters. You get an awful lot of those to a page.
Yeah but for some reason I don't like flat counters with a picture on them. I don't know why... :P