Wishlist: Cyberpunk/Shadowrun

For the discussion of existing Arion Games sets as well as from other manufacturers, and wishlists for future sets

Moderator: bottg

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

Wishlist: Cyberpunk/Shadowrun

Post by Lord Abaddon of Wormwood » Sun May 07, 2006 11:13 am

Here my Santa wishlist:
Decker
Male + Female
Elven
Orcish
Dwarven
Other

Solo
Male + Female
Elven
Orcish
Dwarven
Other

Fixer
Male + Female
Elven
Orcish
Dwarven
Other

Street Mage
Male + Female
Elven
Orcish
Dwarven
Other

Street Shaman
Male + Female
Elven
Orcish
Dwarven
Other

Rent a Cops
Male + Female
Elven
Orcish
Dwarven
Other

... etc.

You get the picture. I'm also very interested to see a set done in the same vain at Rezolution. For those that don't know it it is a fantastic fast pace game. I personally have the time or money to commit to buying metal that I know I will never paint. The reason I bring this up here is that Rez is very Blade runner/cyberpunk wiht a touch of ShadowRun.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun May 07, 2006 3:53 pm

Shadowrun is a definite possibility for (several??) set, although i would have to contact FanPro LLC who currently publish it on RPGNow. However, they may be really keen to see these. I will let you know when i hear.

If not, a cyberpunk set would be a reasonable replacement.

Graham

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

Post by Lord Abaddon of Wormwood » Sun May 07, 2006 11:30 pm

For a ShadowRun style pack you don't need to label it "Shadowrun" thus negate the whole need to get permission. The owners of Shadowrun don't own the rights to that style of fantasy they own brand names and exact IP. I'm not trying to throw you a curved ball here just pointing out that there are many products that use very similar ideas but they all coexist. D20 Future is very Shadowrun and I don't think the big boys asked/bothered to seek permission.

I just thought since you are doing a pose you may as well do the body morf to make Elves, Orcs, Dwarfs etc. I know doing the whole male female thing is a whole different kettle of fish (different outfits and all).

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Sun May 07, 2006 11:45 pm

The problem Lord Abaddon of Wormwood (LAofW), is that most companies and their lawyers do not see the situation the way you are trying to describe; they are far more protective of their images than you describe.
If we were dealing with GW rather than FP LLC, I would definitely predict visits from the lawyers if Graham did a set of Space Marines even if he called them Space Troopers or some other name.
Even though it is FP LLC involved not GW, I see no need to chance legal hassles for Graham and his little giant of a company.
Having worked in the gaming industry, I would definitely council Graham to not walk the path that you are encouraging him to do LAofW.

Please Graham, go ahead and ask FanPro about the Shadowrun figs.
While you are at it, could you please ask about Classic BattleTech Infantry BattleArmor in this scale?
I know they only have the license for Classic BattleTech and Topps has the IP, but FanPro may have enough authority to give you the go-ahead to do such a product.
I would really love to have a couple or even four or five sets of the various BattleArmors that CBT has within it.
They just might be a real winning group of sets.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

Post by Lord Abaddon of Wormwood » Mon May 08, 2006 12:05 am

Sorry I didn't want to sound that bad - I just feel that FP will ask for a licening fee rather than just saying "Yes please go ahead". With out getting into a forum war I still feel that dressing an Ork in heavy combat gear does not mean that FP have the IP rights to it - Fifth Element used Orc like creatures, so did StarWars in Return of the Jedi. I'm just saying capture the flavor not the true IP.

Any how I'm not telling Graham what to do but giving ideas. The more ideas he has the more fun he con product.

Rabid Fox what area did you work in the industry? It cool to find the brains behind the products.

Again sorry if what I said was bad or ill-advised. It was not intended.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

RabidFox
Knight

Post by RabidFox » Fri May 12, 2006 9:30 pm

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood wrote:Sorry I didn't want to sound that bad - I just feel that FP will ask for a licening fee rather than just saying "Yes please go ahead". With out getting into a forum war I still feel that dressing an Ork in heavy combat gear does not mean that FP have the IP rights to it - Fifth Element used Orc like creatures, so did StarWars in Return of the Jedi. I'm just saying capture the flavor not the true IP.
I have found it is always better to play it safe rather than sorry.

Yes, Gamorrean Guards look like orcs a bit, but I also cannot see Games Workshop sueing Lucas over it.
Even the most fantatical of GW lawyers are going to hesitate before even considering taking on that behemoth.
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood wrote:Any how I'm not telling Graham what to do but giving ideas. The more ideas he has the more fun he con product.
I came on strong; I am sorry for that.
I just do not want to see Graham & Arion get in any trouble.
I am sure you do not either, but it felt you were pushing in a bad direction.
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood wrote:Rabid Fox what area did you work in the industry? It cool to find the brains behind the products.
I have worked at three separate game stores plus for the "Evil Empire".
Additionally, I have consulted, playtested and written in the industry, mostly about the BattleTech Universe during the FASA era but for other game systems as well.
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood wrote:Again sorry if what I said was bad or ill-advised. It was not intended.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
I have a habit of looking at medium-to-long term impacts rather than immediate fun issues when it comes to gaming company actions.
I have seen companies in the gaming industry suffer from infringements and poor decisions and rather that Arion does not join that group of companies which are now only gaming history.
I hope you can understand.