Best solo book authors to convert to AFF adventures

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Best solo book authors to convert to AFF adventures

Post by Slloyd14 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:41 am

So someone on Facebook was asking which FF books were easiest to convert. I was going down the list of books before realizing that I was including every book by Keith Martin. His books are mainly hubs/sandbox explorations so the only thing to change would be the encounters. Here are the Keith Martin books:

Stealer of Souls
Vault of the Vampire
Master of Chaos
Tower of Destruction
Island of the Undead
Night Dragon
Legend of Zagor
Revenge of the Vampire

Other books I suggested were Scorpion Swamp (sandbox already!) and Forest of Doom (almost sandbox. Ian Livingstone doesn't allow the character to go back but that's easily solved) and Keep of the Lich Lord (has a very Fabled Lands feel to it because it is by the Fabled Lands authors).

City of Thieves would be easier to convert because there is a source book on Blacksand.

Also, thinking about it, Demons of the Deep wouldn't be too bad to convert. That is by US Steve Jackson who also did Scorpion Swamp. His books were very sandbox like. His other book was Robot Commando which would be an easy book to convert to Stellar Adventures.

Will it be possible to get permission to do stuff to other authors' work b sides SJUK and IL?
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: Best solo book authors to convert to AFF adventures

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:29 pm

Lots (if not all) of Jon Green's gamebooks would be very suitable, starting from Curse of the Mummy and Bloodbones.
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:37 pm

I like the practical and respectful way that Deathtrap Dungeon was fan-converted from gamebook to RPG adventure for AFF without impacting any IP or copyright: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=452
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:01 pm

Nuvole! wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:37 pm
I like the practical and respectful way that Deathtrap Dungeon was fan-converted from gamebook to RPG adventure for AFF without impacting any IP or copyright: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=452
That looks awesome!

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:16 pm

I run that adventure at least 30 times in my life, so far... and I still find people interested in playing it again and again... 8)

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:02 pm

Official conversions of almost all of them are possible, and a few may be in the works already!

The only ones off limits are:
Dead of Night
Legend of the Shadow Warriors
Moonrunner

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:51 pm

It would be great to have the conversions made following the logic adventure progression (Caverns of Snow Witch, Forest of Doom, Temple of Terror, etc.)

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 am

Slloyd14 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:41 am
So someone on Facebook was asking which FF books were easiest to convert. I was going down the list of books before realizing that I was including every book by Keith Martin. His books are mainly hubs/sandbox explorations so the only thing to change would be the encounters.
I don't think I've played any of the Keith Martin books, but I'm trying to think how hubs/sandbox would work in a FF gamebook. Surely that would mean you could come back to locations you'd done before and it'd be like you hadn't already been there, with monsters back alive again and that sort of thing? Just wondering how it worked.

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:16 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 am
Slloyd14 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:41 am
So someone on Facebook was asking which FF books were easiest to convert. I was going down the list of books before realizing that I was including every book by Keith Martin. His books are mainly hubs/sandbox explorations so the only thing to change would be the encounters.
I don't think I've played any of the Keith Martin books, but I'm trying to think how hubs/sandbox would work in a FF gamebook. Surely that would mean you could come back to locations you'd done before and it'd be like you hadn't already been there, with monsters back alive again and that sort of thing? Just wondering how it worked.
Off the top of my head, I think he just forbade you from going to the same place twice or he wrote it in a way that meant it was pointless to return (you had to kill the monster or you found the treasure no matter what) and he told you when you couldn't go back in case you weren't ready. So the work in the AFF version would just have to be more flexible.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:26 pm

I think that there may be some adventures that will prove better as RPG modules than as gamebooks, as written by the original author.