Post by Slloyd14 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Statistics

Starting characters have the following characteristics:

SKILL: 3
STAMINA: 6
LUCK: 8
MAGIC: 0
MAGIC POINTS: 0

Those starting characteristics can be increased from a pool of 6 points with the following caveats:

SKILL: A maximum of 2 points may be added.
STAMINA: A maximum of 3 points may be added – each point increases the hero’s initial STAMINA by 2.
LUCK: A maximum of 3 points may be added.
MAGIC: A maximum of 2 points may be added.

Social Scale
Social scale is determine by rolling 1d6 and subtracting 1 from the number rolled (0-5).

Race
Racial modifiers then apply as normal.

Special Skills

Some special skills are not available to “0 level” characters, so there is a limited list of skills that they can pick from. Here is the list:
Combat special skills: Armour, Axes, Brawling, Clubs, Polearms, Staves, Strength, Thrown
Movement special skills: All skills.
Stealth special skills: All skills.
Knowledge special skills: All skills.
Magical Special skills: Magic- Minor, Magic Lore, Second Sight.

Talents

There are only a limited number of talents available to “0 level” characters. They are: Strongarm, Packhorse, Survivor, Silvertongued, Natural Leader, Learned, Natural Linguist, Hawkeye, Familiar, Dark Veil, Clearsight, Entrepeneur, Natural Physician, Master Craft (+2 to all craft skill rolls), Fast Healer, Robust, Light Sleeper, Lucky.

Weapons
Regular characters will not be able to find well made weapons in general, so they will have to simple, cheap weapons and peasant tools. This means that they can only have the following weapons: Club, quarterstaff, dagger, sling, pitchfork, hatchet, pick, shovel and scythe.
Pitchforks and scythes can be treated as polarms, hatchets, shoevels and picks can be treated as axes.

Weapon Damage roll

1 2 3 4 5 6 7+

Pitchfork 2 2 2 3 3 4 5

Hatchet 2 2 2 2 3 3 4

Pick 1 2 2 3 3 4 5

Shovel 1 2 2 2 3 3 4

Scythe 2 3 3 3 3 4 5

Thrown rock 1 1 1 1 2 2 3

Armour

Characters are not able to buy proper armour – they best they can manage is to patch together whatever bits of leather, animal hide and metal they can find. All of these armours require a Skill + Armour skill score of 7 or more.

Armour Armour roll

1 2 3 4 5 6 7+

Quilted armour 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

Patchwork leather 0 0 0 0 1 1 1

Hide armour 0 0 0 1 1 1 1

Leather and metal 0 0 1 1 1 1 1

Starting equipment

Here is a list of items available to heroes and their prices. Starting heroes have 10gp to spend +2gp for every point of social scale that they have.

Weapons Armour

Item Cost Item Cost

Pitchfork 3gp Quilted 3gp
Hatchet 5gp Patchwork leather 7gp
Pick 7gp Hide 12gp
Shovel 7gp leather and metal 15gp
Scythe 3gp
Dagger 1gp
Club 1gp
Quarterstaff 1gp
Sling 2gp

Equipment Equipment
Item Cost Item Cost
Backpack 1gp Sack 2sp

Blanket, Large 2gp Tent 3gp

Candles (12) 1sp Tinderbox 2gp

Food/day 14sp Torch 1sp

Gridnstone 8sp Waterskin 18sp

Herbs, cooking 1sp Rope, per metre 6sp

Lantern 2gp Quill, ink + paper 1gp

Oil, Pint 5sp
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Ruffnut
Hero

Re: Updated "0 level" character creation and also equipment for poor people

Post by Ruffnut » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 pm

AMAZING!!!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Cool...
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:29 pm

It would be great to start like that, but my players would never go for it :roll:

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:34 pm

I like to tailor the starting mechanics to suit the players back story...
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:17 pm

I think we came to very similar conclusions: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=849&p=5051&hilit=i ... nced#p5051
Lately I've been playtesting even simpler solutions, were you can start only as peasant. I would like to wrap it up together with a few introductory adventures in "Step by step towards adventure", but it takes really a lot to me to run playtesting, as I have very few opportunities to run games.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:26 am

Very well done. 8)

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:29 am

Yeah nicely done and Hullalla's version was good too. Probably wasn't the intention but zero level implies there's only one step you can have below a standard AFF character. Of course there's a whole range of places you could start characters between a "normal man" (doesn't mean no skills, just none relevant to adventuring) and a standard starting AFF character. If you compare a character with SKILL 7 and 2 points in a weapon special skill to an orc the character's obviously already had a fair bit of training of some sort before starting their adventuring career. Maybe they grew up in a border region or a rough part of a city where everyone learnt how to fight, or maybe they were in a town and chose to join the militia, or maybe their family could afford to pay for tuition. Same for magic, standard starting characters aren't apprentices who can cast one spell a day.

This is one of the things I like about AFF, that you don't have characters with minimal training putting themselves in danger and mysteriously only meeting appropriately wimpy opponents. Which isn't to say that starting off with less training isn't a fun campaign option but it maybe needs a bit of extra thought about how characters who wouldn't feel ready to go exploring somewhere dangerous are getting into danger.
Slloyd14 wrote:Characters are not able to buy proper armour – they best they can manage is to patch together whatever bits of leather, animal hide and metal they can find.
I like the idea of quilted armour below leather although the 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 needed to fit under it in the table makes it pretty ineffective. The other types are very similar to each other and existing types and might be better covered by some sort of armour quality/condition rule?

It might be more in the tradition of AFF armour names for the quilted armour to be a Gambeson (with using terms like cuirass and hauberk), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambeson. Also interesting is this about historical leather armour, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine, it shows how much ground this category is covering.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:05 am

Actually I like games where the protagonist is a normal person, such as a young farmer or an apprentice smith. Of course you need to taylor properly the opponents, giving more focus to investigation aspects, but I think they are sometimes easier to relate for the players.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:32 am

I think so, especially if the players don't have much previous RPG experience. The events of those early scenarios also gives you a quality back story for how they started adventuring. Better than the usual "you all meet in a tavern and decide you'd like to go kill things together" ;)

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:08 pm

This would be cool to use as basis for a militia force in a small farming village 8)

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Stuart Check (N)PC Knowledge I know you will like because you always assign special skills.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.