Proposed Revised Social Standing Table

LordArioch
Adventurer

Proposed Revised Social Standing Table

Post by LordArioch » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:58 pm

I like the concept of social standing in the game. However, I sought to devise a more granular table with more options, esp. from Knight upward. I don't know how terribly accurate this may be in light of historical European nobilities, but I am open to suggestions. Furthermore, I'm not sure where to place merchant. I assume this is more of a range, depending upon what is being bought and/or sold by said merchant. E.g. those who deal in exotic spices/herbs/silks will be higher than those who deal in ordinary goods. Any other ideas?

REVISED SOCIAL STANDING TABLE
0.....beggar, mercenary, criminal
1.....peasant, soldier
2.....farmer, watchman
3.....craftsman, sergeant
4.....clerk, witch
5.....master craftsman, physician
6.....town mayor, captain, priest
7.....Knight; Senior Priest
8.....Baronet/Hereditary Knight
9.....Baron; Lord; High Priest
10...Viscount
11...Earl/Count
12...Marquis/Margrave
13...Duke
14...Archduke
15...Grand Duke
16...Viceroy; Prince
17...King
18...Emperor

Ruffnut
Hero

Re: Proposed Revised Social Standing Table

Post by Ruffnut » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:59 am

#AMAZING!!!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:05 am

Nice job

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:24 pm

Will use
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Are you planning to use this for campaigns based on Titan?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:22 pm

1000%
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:49 am

Hullalla wrote:Are you planning to use this for campaigns based on Titan?
Maybe. Too early to tell. I don't know how much I'll need to have the Heroes interacting with all manner of blue-bloods in my future AFF2e campaign(s), but it was more of a thought-experiment. If the PCs have high-status personages as patrons that would be of greater utility.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:20 am

LordArioch wrote:If the PCs have high-status personages as patrons that would be of greater utility.
Yep or maybe eventually some get titles of their own. It'll come in handy sooner or later.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:29 pm

I have the impression that in Titan there are not enough layers of nobility, but noblemen are too sparse.
Having Emperors, Kings, Marquises, Dukes, Counts etc. seems best fit to a setting with a very well organized and centralized Empire.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:58 pm

That might be right for a lot of regions, including probably north west Allansia. Maybe in the more civilised parts of the Old World?

LordArioch
Adventurer

Post by LordArioch » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:41 pm

Hullalla wrote:I have the impression that in Titan there are not enough layers of nobility, but noblemen are too sparse.
Having Emperors, Kings, Marquises, Dukes, Counts etc. seems best fit to a setting with a very well organized and centralized Empire.
So would it be more a situation of tribal chieftains, at most, in many regions?

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:10 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:That might be right for a lot of regions, including probably north west Allansia. Maybe in the more civilised parts of the Old World?
You're right: probably in northern and western Old World it would be more suitable!

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:18 pm

LordArioch wrote:
Hullalla wrote:I have the impression that in Titan there are not enough layers of nobility, but noblemen are too sparse.
So would it be more a situation of tribal chieftains, at most, in many regions?
Probably yes. If you think about it, in most Titan you have islands of *almost* civilizations in a sea of chaos. You have the king of Salamonis, but he is in fact the king of a city and not much more around it. You have the king of Chalice that has an even smaller area under control. You have the king of dwarves at Stonebridge that is fundamentally at the head of a small town and can't even control the neighbouring dwarves of Mirewater. The Queen of Vymorna is at the head of a sieged town of 6,000 or so. Then you have Baron Sukhumvit, but he doesn't hail to any king, you have Baron Bluestone in Kallamehr that similarly doesn't have any king above him. In Silverton you have a mayor and no noble.
I don't see in Allansia any civilization with proper "layers" of command / control. Khul is probably worse, while I can see this more suitable for some part of the Old World, such as Gallantaria and others.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:29 pm

this is the issue with taking historical titles which meant things in the real world and "cutting and pasting" them into a fantasy world without any of the background that led to the creation of those titles in the first place.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:14 am

Hullalla wrote:I don't see in Allansia any civilization with proper "layers" of command / control.
Blacksand is another example. So yeah lots of independent city states and petty kingdoms.
Eddie wrote:this is the issue with taking historical titles which meant things in the real world and "cutting and pasting" them
True and it's going to change depending which period too, there's a lot of history to choose from. But one of the nice things about Titan is we have a whole planet of regions with some detail about them and most things are there somewhere.