Borrowings from The Dark Crystal movie?

LordArioch

Borrowings from The Dark Crystal movie?

Postby LordArioch » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:25 pm

I noticed that the Hamakei description is eerily like that of the Skeksis in The Dark Crystal, and the Jib-jib is like the furry Fizgig. However is there a FF version for the Mystics, and indeed any of the other creatures of Thra like the Striders or Pod People?
LordArioch

Re: Borrowings from The Dark Crystal movie?

Postby LordArioch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:49 am

bump.

Has anyone here seen The Dark Crystal? Is there an AFF2e version of the Mystics?
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:58 pm

how about Elvins for Gelflings?
Jay_NOLA

Postby Jay_NOLA » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:23 pm

I've seen the movie and have it at home will rewatch it again this weekend.

Also of note TokyoPop did a Dark Crystal manga a few years back which had a new story and an ew Dark Crystal series is in the works for Netflix.

I do know that one of the concept artist did stuff for White Dwarf. Read an article about that awhile back on a blog. So I can see how the film would have been an influence

One older Jim Henson creation influenced gaming a good bit and was an influence on Dark Crystal was the Land of Gorch.

The Land of Gorch also influenced one of the depiction of I'd say the most common fantasy monster/race seen in RPGs. (I would love to have a stuffed King Ploobis to use as a prop at games.)

A good over iew documentary that shows a lot of scenes from Gorch, talks about it, etc. can be seen here if you're not famialr with it.

https://vimeo.com/98510775
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:44 am

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the movie was the inspiration for those FF creatures, the dates work. The Dark Crystal was released in 82, the same year as the WoFTM gamebook, and the other books were obviously after that.

It's been a long time since I've watched the movie, but from memory the Skeksis might look like Hamakei but are far more evil in nature. I guess the difference could be put down to events in their history though.
LordArioch

Postby LordArioch » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:33 pm

I've got the novel and will reread it, and I had seen the movie in the theatre when it came out (FWIR, the theatre was virtually empty -- it didn't fare all that well with audiences and critics, tragically). I would like to make a setting reference document that ties in the game-mechanics of AFF2e, provided that someone else hasn't beaten me to the punch.
Jay_NOLA

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 pm

I found this article while trying to find the Skeksis and White Dwarf magazine art one I read months ago. Would be interesting to know when the White Dwarf image that has dwarfs and a Mystic in was done that is in the artcle.

http://realmofzhu.blogspot.com/2013/07/ ... lings.html
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Its a great film, I have very fond memories of this along with other similar ones from this time.

Elvins as stated above for the Gelflings is perfect, I mean you could even have a sub-culture of Elvins called something very much like Gelfling in a personal campaign, or living in a region with a similar name: Gelfland Gelfling Wood etc.

I think adventures using these creatures, or based on the film could fit really nicely in the Old World somewhere, although you could use Khul too?
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Jay_NOLA wrote:I found this article while trying to find the Skeksis and White Dwarf magazine art one I read months ago.
Ah yeah they do look a lot like Fimir too, the nose is more like a long snout than a beak.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”