Damage Modifier: None
Habitat: Forest,Hills,Plains
Number Encountered: 1-3
Type: Animal
Reaction: Unfriendly
Intelligence: Low

Many strange animals roam the forests and plains of Titan, and the Entelodon
is no exception, sometimes know as Hell Pig in parts of Allansia, although many
people have described Entelodonts as being ugly looking animals, ‭one thing that
cannot be denied is that they were built for power. Their box like bodies and robust
heavy skulls are surrounded by solid muscle, perfect for
ramming their prey,‭ ‬and for their size they are probably one of the heaviest types of mammal
on the landscape. ‬Most importantly this makes the largest Entelodonts a match for most other type
of herbivore and predator they were likely to come into contact with.

Entelodonts are dedicated predators of other animals.‭ they lurk around dense growths of vegetation
and/or watering holes where they ambush unwary herbivores.‭ ‬They either use their bulk to knock their
target off their feet or close their massive jaws around a critical area like the neck.

‭Entelodonts will charge their target, ramming with their heavy skulls, a dodge test must be passed
to avoid being knocked back prone.
Last edited by shintokamikaze on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.

LordArioch
Adventurer

Re: Entelodon (Hell Pig)

Post by LordArioch » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Great write-up! 8)
It's a bit odd to see such a powerful porcine without large tusks, a la the wild boar (sus scrofa).

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Re: Entelodont (Hell Pig)

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:07 am

The size justifies the two attacks but even with those it'd be good to have the option to meet more than one. When I searched on the name a lot of the pics show a few of them so maybe 1-3?

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:12 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:The size justifies the two attacks but even with those it'd be good to have the option to meet more than one. When I searched on the name a lot of the pics show a few of them so maybe 1-3?
I did have it 1-3 but I can change it back , The idea with the two attacks is it can butt and if successful, then bite the same target in the first round only, Not sure if I made that clear in the post. I changed that now:P

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:07 pm

thanks for the creature, thanks for the video too.
"you want bacon? come at me bro!"
that thing looked terrifying

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Epic! Iwill post my own if i have time
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Just a general note for designing creatures that might not be obvious. Based on the pit books, number of attacks isn't a count of the number of appendages with pointy bits on them like in a lot of games. So while in other games a Jaguar might get two claws and a bite in AFF it gets one attack, but a giant that in other games gets one attack in AFF gets two or even three.

It's a count of how many opponents can be attacked in one round. The giants club or sword or whatever is so big that one sweep can hit multiple enemies. The Jaguar on the other hand can pounce on an opponent and will be attacking with all it's claws and teeth but only on that one. But a bigger cat might have the reach and speed to swipe first one opponent and then another.

A charge from something as big as the Hell Pig should be able to hurt two opponents and you see that in the pit books. Even when standing still it could bite one and trample or kick another at the same time. So it seems about right.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:25 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:Just a general note for designing creatures that might not be obvious. Based on the pit books, number of attacks isn't a count of the number of appendages with pointy bits on them like in a lot of games. So while in other games a Jaguar might get two claws and a bite in AFF it gets one attack, but a giant that in other games gets one attack in AFF gets two or even three.

It's a count of how many opponents can be attacked in one round. The giants club or sword or whatever is so big that one sweep can hit multiple enemies. The Jaguar on the other hand can pounce on an opponent and will be attacking with all it's claws and teeth but only on that one. But a bigger cat might have the reach and speed to swipe first one opponent and then another.

A charge from something as big as the Hell Pig should be able to hurt two opponents and you see that in the pit books. Even when standing still it could bite one and trample or kick another at the same time. So it seems about right.
Got it, makes sense when you think about it

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:32 pm

For my money it's another example of AFF getting it right, but does sort of go against RPG convention.

dcpchamber

Post by dcpchamber » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 am

Wow, I really liked it. I'd argue that it might be a very rare creature to find, and finding a pack would be even more difficult. Such a size must be maitained by large consumption of food, and a wandering pack could devastate farms and livestock foraging and hunting. Maybe in the areas where it is found, seasonal migration of these beasts could be the worst nightmare of farm people, and especial kind of hunter heroes would be well paid to take care of such monsters. Even though i'd love to see bestial tusks, its nice to not follow trends!

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:47 pm

In general I like the idea of picking Earth very ancient animals that aren't too well known (such as dynosaurs).
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:53 pm

in terms of rarity of packs, this gives us a good reason why the teeming hordes of evil haven't wiped out the world so far!
sure they also fight amongst themselves, but if packs of these guys are running around they don't get as much of a chance to pacify their surroundings and increase their numbers so much.

dcpchamber

Post by dcpchamber » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:19 am

Eddie wrote:in terms of rarity of packs, this gives us a good reason why the teeming hordes of evil haven't wiped out the world so far!
sure they also fight amongst themselves, but if packs of these guys are running around they don't get as much of a chance to pacify their surroundings and increase their numbers so much.
O really like thinking about this kind of interaction between creatures. It helps giving a more natural and credible feel for the game.