Clarification requested: Concentrate Spell

LordArioch
Adventurer

Clarification requested: Concentrate Spell

Post by LordArioch » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:28 pm

AFF2e, p. 75 wrote:Concentrate (+2)
If this spell is cast on the round before any other spell, the second spell will be re-cast immediately its duration expires without requiring a new spellcasting test or indeed any time. Magic points will be expended again at the time of recasting, and the recast spell will be recast in exactly the same form as the original casting.
Perhaps I'm being dense, but something seems to be missing, or poorly explained. Can someone clarify this spell and give and example of its use? Thanks.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Re: Clarification requested: Concentrate Spell

Post by shintokamikaze » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:20 pm

LordArioch wrote:
AFF2e, p. 75 wrote:Concentrate (+2)
If this spell is cast on the round before any other spell, the second spell will be re-cast immediately its duration expires without requiring a new spellcasting test or indeed any time. Magic points will be expended again at the time of recasting, and the recast spell will be recast in exactly the same form as the original casting.
Perhaps I'm being dense, but something seems to be missing, or poorly explained. Can someone clarify this spell and give and example of its use? Thanks.
Sounds like, if you cast Concentrate, you don't have to roll for the next spell you cast :?:

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:51 pm

cast concentrate and mirror self in the same round, when mirror self's duration expires you automatically cast it without rolling and without using up an action.

a great use for a defensive spell or, maybe even better, a movement spell if it suddenly stopping would be dangerous (say flying over molten lava, sure you won't take falling damage, but the whole "i'm sitting on lava" is still gonna be a problem!)

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Eddie wrote:cast concentrate and mirror self in the same round, when mirror self's duration expires you automatically cast it without rolling and without using up an action.

a great use for a defensive spell or, maybe even better, a movement spell if it suddenly stopping would be dangerous (say flying over molten lava, sure you won't take falling damage, but the whole "i'm sitting on lava" is still gonna be a problem!)
Ah ok