Free RPG product good for AFF

Dupont
Knight

Re: Free RPG product good for AFF

Postby Dupont » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Theres also stuff here, I don't think anyone else has linked this, sorry if they have... Its nearly the weekend is all I know right now...

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/01/sw ... ckoff.html
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Dupont wrote:Its good stuff isn't it? Old school but thats not a bad thing at all, like you say they're very approachable to drop into play.
Yeah you could say "dungeons" are a bit old school generally, even nice ones. But the other thing with his are a lot are quite small. So rather than making the dungeon the adventure you can make it a lair or side adventure in a wider setting. But of course he has the mega-dungeons too for people that want that!
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Dupont wrote:Theres also stuff here, I don't think anyone else has linked this, sorry if they have...
I haven't seen that one before, thanks.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:56 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Dupont wrote:Its good stuff isn't it? Old school but thats not a bad thing at all, like you say they're very approachable to drop into play.
Yeah you could say "dungeons" are a bit old school generally, even nice ones. But the other thing with his are a lot are quite small. So rather than making the dungeon the adventure you can make it a lair or side adventure in a wider setting. But of course he has the mega-dungeons too for people that want that!

Exactly, I really like that too. It leaves you free to pop these into play when you like and have as much or as little story behind it as you like. I am going to try one after Firetop Mountain more than likely, after they have wandered off shopping or what ever they decide to do ( If they are alive!)

Theres also Raging Swan Press on Drivethru, not always free but they are cheap and you can get free versions of a lot of his stuff thats definitely worth looking at. They're very cleanly put together and well done too. Theres some really interesting backdrop ideas he does that can be mined for ideas, and he does a GM's miscellany fulls of really colourful tidbits to use in play, whether its unusual things to find in specific types of locations - Marshes, Tombs etc or not quite encounters, discriptive elements to colour those types of regions. He also does adventures and his website is full of freebies. I think he is working on a megadungeon at the moment too.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Dupont wrote:
SkinnyOrc wrote:Just looking through Dyson's unstocked maps can give you ideas for adventures. I also like the way he often mixes the usual grid layout with sections of natural caverns or avoids it completely.

Its good stuff isn't it? Old school but thats not a bad thing at all, like you say they're very approachable to drop into play.

I used his Goblin gully short adventure, the group were working as fixers for a merchant in Blacksand, and goblin bandits were attacking his transports near Stonebridge, it turned out they were hold up in an ancient Dorgar outpost that was wiped out by the the Dwarfs in their war, it's a nice little side adventure, and was a good way for me to get the group to Stonebridge :lol:
Ruffnut
Knight

Postby Ruffnut » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:05 pm

My players love to have maps to look at
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Dupont wrote:Theres also Raging Swan Press on Drivethru, not always free but they are cheap and you can get free versions of a lot of his stuff thats definitely worth looking at.
Yep I went through his stuff a few months back and grabbed all the free bits, and even bought a couple for a few dollars. Short but nicely done. Here's a link for them.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:45 am

The Ruined Hamlet Terror in the Gloaming is a perfect candidate for Trapvain conversion, I gave it a quick skim, it looks very good with a lot of Wilderness locations and nice maps, I will have a go at it after I finish my college reports :x

I will have to download the others
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Nice, they all look good :P
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 pm

I will have a look later, think we are going for a walk to some Barrows in a minute ( My other half might be trying to get rid of me - call the police if you dont see my ramblings on here again :lol: ) .

Its crazy how much free stuff is out there really.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:34 pm

shintokamikaze wrote:The Ruined Hamlet Terror in the Gloaming is a perfect candidate for Trapvain conversion, I gave it a quick skim, it looks very good with a lot of Wilderness locations and nice maps
That one's big as well, although from the name it was originally two adventures. it mentions somewhere that there'd be a follow up, BL3 Mountain Redoubt of the Hobgoblin Legion. But it seems like the guy pulled the plug on publishing his work.

This must've been pointed out already somewhere on here, but Dragonsfoot has fan made adventures for download at http://www.dragonsfoot.org/ad/index.shtml. The quality is a bit up and down but there's plenty to choose from.

Dupont wrote:think we are going for a walk to some Barrows in a minute ( My other half might be trying to get rid of me - call the police if you dont see my ramblings on here again
Good luck ;)
Ruffnut
Knight

Postby Ruffnut » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

I love freebies!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:56 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
shintokamikaze wrote:The Ruined Hamlet Terror in the Gloaming is a perfect candidate for Trapvain conversion, I gave it a quick skim, it looks very good with a lot of Wilderness locations and nice maps
That one's big as well, although from the name it was originally two adventures. it mentions somewhere that there'd be a follow up, BL3 Mountain Redoubt of the Hobgoblin Legion. But it seems like the guy pulled the plug on publishing his work.

This must've been pointed out already somewhere on here, but Dragonsfoot has fan made adventures for download at http://www.dragonsfoot.org/ad/index.shtml. The quality is a bit up and down but there's plenty to choose from.

Dupont wrote:think we are going for a walk to some Barrows in a minute ( My other half might be trying to get rid of me - call the police if you dont see my ramblings on here again
Good luck ;)

Something light I can work on converting

Rakoss was a great Wizard of ages past who served the Dynasty of Swords, tales tell of his prowess as a military strategist, but they also tell of his fall. It is said that although he won campaign after campaign for King Coros, just one failure brought about his doom. Defeated by the forces of Chaos at Trolltooth Pass, Rakoss was chased to his place solitude where he and his generals and bodyguard were entombed alive. Somewhere in the Icefinger mountains they remain sealed in by powerful chaos magic.
Who knows what treasure was buried with Rakoss, or what horrors remain to test the Skill and Stamina of any who might enter the tomb. Certainly only brave Heroes would dare to seek out the final resting place of Rakoss, and survive the terrors of the tomb of Rakoss the undying!
From the Recollections of Ithak

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”