Module Conversion

shintokamikaze
Knight

Re: Module Conversion

Postby shintokamikaze » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:11 am

What do you think of the Ravenloft modules, I think some of them could fit easy in Mortvania with Count Strahd von Zarovich becoming Count Heydrich, lots of of juicy Gothic horror elements to work with like House of Strahd & Night of the walking dead. I also remember one called Howls in the night, it reminded me of The Hounds of Baskerville, but the hounds were clay golems coming out of a bog. I am getting very excited thinking about converting some of this stuff, I love this kind of horror elements in my RPGs :lol:
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:48 am

Skinnyorc, Greame Davis blogged about this Warhammer conversion for Night's Dark Terrors yesterday. I don't know if it is of use to you but here it is.

https://awesomeliesblog.wordpress.com/2 ... rk-terror/

I want to play through this a lot if you can have it ready in say a week that would be great 8)

If you need help with the maps or anything give me a shout
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:49 am

shintokamikaze wrote:What do you think of the Ravenloft modules, I think some of them could fit easy in Mortvania with Count Strahd von Zarovich becoming Count Heydrich, lots of of juicy Gothic horror elements to work with like House of Strahd & Night of the walking dead. I also remember one called Howls in the night, it reminded me of The Hounds of Baskerville, but the hounds were clay golems coming out of a bog. I am getting very excited thinking about converting some of this stuff, I love this kind of horror elements in my RPGs :lol:

Sounds good to me!
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Dupont wrote:
shintokamikaze wrote:What do you think of the Ravenloft modules, I think some of them could fit easy in Mortvania with Count Strahd von Zarovich becoming Count Heydrich, lots of of juicy Gothic horror elements to work with like House of Strahd & Night of the walking dead. I also remember one called Howls in the night, it reminded me of The Hounds of Baskerville, but the hounds were clay golems coming out of a bog. I am getting very excited thinking about converting some of this stuff, I love this kind of horror elements in my RPGs :lol:

Sounds good to me!

And the great thing about Mauristatia is their is very little canon not even a map, so I will have a near free hand to develop towns and other locations, I wont even have to change names, but I'm sure I will :lol:
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:27 pm

shintokamikaze wrote:What do you think of the Ravenloft modules
I played the original Ravenloft module way back and enjoyed it a lot. It'd slot right into Mauristatia no problem. The Ravenloft campaign world and all the material for that I know about but haven't read.

shintokamikaze wrote:I love this kind of horror elements in my RPGs :lol:
Yeah I noticed :lol:

Dupont wrote:Greame Davis blogged about this Warhammer conversion for Night's Dark Terrors yesterday.
I had to download this straight away and see how they fitted it into WFRP. Thing is Warhammer has quite a limited set of humanoid races and there's a reluctance to add more so so I wondered what they'd do with the jackal headed Hutaakan. The answer is they swapped them for lizardmen and it works well seeing as those usually take a "lost civilisation" role in Warhammer.

But even with that neatly solved I can't see it being too popular with the WFRP community, they tend to be anti anything that's not an investigation scenario. Which was one of the reasons I switched from WFRP to AFF2 as my main system, I like investigation in adventures but also variety.

Interestingly I've read an interview where Graeme Davis (I think it was) said WFRP was intended to be the UK D&D when the rulebook was written, but then they were told to make it into "fantasy Call of Cthulhu" and wrote The Enemy Within campaign that set the tone to what the game is now known for.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Dupont wrote:Greame Davis blogged about this Warhammer conversion for Night's Dark Terrors yesterday.
I had to download this straight away and see how they fitted it into WFRP. Thing is Warhammer has quite a limited set of humanoid races and there's a reluctance to add more so so I wondered what they'd do with the jackal headed Hutaakan. The answer is they swapped them for lizardmen and it works well seeing as those usually take a "lost civilisation" role in Warhammer.

But even with that neatly solved I can't see it being too popular with the WFRP community, they tend to be anti anything that's not an investigation scenario. Which was one of the reasons I switched from WFRP to AFF2 as my main system, I like investigation in adventures but also variety.

Interestingly I've read an interview where Graeme Davis (I think it was) said WFRP was intended to be the UK D&D when the rulebook was written, but then they were told to make it into "fantasy Call of Cthulhu" and wrote The Enemy Within campaign that set the tone to what the game is now known for.

Yeah I have read that, I loved the Fantasy Cthulhu feel of WFRP and it should be there but there is also room for more as you say. Warpstone used to provide a lot of quality content for that setting too ( I used to illustrate it ) before GW filed their cease and desist a year ago or so. I wonder what Cubicle 7 will do with it, we will see. In a way it doesn't matter, between 1st and 2nd ed theres a really strong game and plenty of material for it if we need it and I plan to play something there fairly soonish - I'm quite looking forward to that. Some of my best gaming memories are from playing a very average adventurer and somehow surviving some horrible punch ups ( In sewers the majority of the time probably )

I think while the choice of Lizardmen is true to the WFRP setting and anything animal headed in WFRP is probably going to be considered dodgy/mutated, I still find the original really evocative ( Slightly R.E.Howard-ish). Actually its a really atmospheric adventure, ( I wonder if we can see glimpses here of what these guys would write in The Enemy Within etc) I'm reading through it at the moment in anticipation :P I would play this in a WFRP setting, it has the right mood for sure but I am pretty sure I will run your conversion for AFF2. ( Maybe I can run it as WFRP for another group )

Glad my post was useful for you, I was unsure whether to link it or not as I didn't want to muddy the waters.
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:35 am

Loved WFRP was my game of choice for many years. My campaign had very little to do with chaos etch but I used the world. my party went to A central America inspired area with a mysterious cities of gold theme ( Remember that cartoon?) New York city in the 80s armoured pcs wandering round central park was hysterical especially when they saw a car broke into a museum and let loose a Liche in mo
fern America :oops:
Also went to Miragiliano and paravon, there was an Arabian knights desert adventure too. The wholle campaign lasted about 15 years but was never played to it's conclusion, though it is fully written the main protagonists were twin gods who hated each other and the 7 Daggers of Miragliando ( spot the Omen reference there) needed to kill them plus rival cults.

other wonders involved time machines elemental foot ball matches with pcs as the balls golden condor
bombers and transdimentional temples and the nastiest undead pirate ship your ever likely to meet powerex by the same liche from New York a live Necromancer thousands of years prior to him endin up in new york before the pcs killed him and turned him into the Combined with magical pieces of armour with their own personalities and an Animated pacifist sword and his loud arrogant brother who fought better on his own than when is owner held it.Maybe I should convert it to AFF 2 for a new group :lol:
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:30 am

Dupont wrote:I loved the Fantasy Cthulhu feel of WFRP and it should be there but there is also room for more as you say.
It was a smart move to do something different and it's probably why it has such a hard core fan base even today. I'm sure loads of people don't play it only that way anyhow, to do that is just a bit limiting.

Dupont wrote:Warpstone used to provide a lot of quality content for that setting too ( I used to illustrate it ) before GW filed their cease and desist a year ago or so.
You contributed to one of my favourite things then :) I have Warpstone 10-30 plus the Best Of and used to look forward to every issue. Hadn't heard that was why it stopped but guessed. I can imagine the corporate types at GW seeing it as representing the old guard and getting in the way of their plans to use WFRP as a Warhammer Fantasy Battle promotional tool.

Dupont wrote:between 1st and 2nd ed theres a really strong game and plenty of material for it
Yeah with hindsight WFRP 2nd edition was great (except for GW attempts to insert their latest WFB campaign into it) and filled in loads of gaps. You can take and leave what you like between the two editions. Just a shame the elf book never got published but we have it as a PDF anyway.

Dupont wrote:I still find the original really evocative ( Slightly R.E.Howard-ish). Actually its a really atmospheric adventure, ( I wonder if we can see glimpses here of what these guys would write in The Enemy Within etc) I'm reading through it at the moment in anticipation :P
It is and I agree you can see the style developing at TSR UK that later went into WFRP. The first part of Night's Dark Terror, the house siege and then searching the surrounding wilderness, at the time would have been an innovative mix of set piece and sandbox. Agree it's got a lot of atmosphere, almost Brothers Grimm like with the deep, dark forest. The second part in the valley with the lost civilisation is very Howardesque and gives the players some interesting choices to make.

The presentation on that WFRP conversion is very nice with the professional looking layout and lots of art. I wouldn't expect anything to that standard from me appearance wise! :) Mine is also a little way off, I only have the forest wilderness part done (and even that not written up nicely). But I should have Eye of the Serpent ready in the next week.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:28 am

When I was looking for the old article I remembered floating around about the "Known World" for the Other Settings thread I found some interviews that explain a lot of what went on at TSR UK and how it fed into Games Workshop (but after the Steve and Ian GW era of course). Both have links back to more interviews with other early RPG writers.

From the now MIA Random Wizard blog:
https://www.kirith.com/random-wizard/articles/phil-gallagher-interview.html

From the Realm of Chaos blog:
http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/d-wfrp-and-birth-of-fictional-god-short.html
http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/imagine-interview-with-paul-cockburn.html

I was hoping to see one with Graeme Morris, the guy with his name on most of the TSR UK modules but also the one who dropped most completely out of the game industry afterwards. It was interesting to read he considered going to GW when the rest of them did but decided he wanted to stay in Cambridge. I used to get him confused with Graeme Davis who worked with Morris's ex-colleagues at GW. Didn't help there was also gamebook designer Dave Morris, who's name is a combo of the two of them! :lol:
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:58 am

I saw someone call Graeme Davis 'Morris' on a thread I read this week - he took it in good humour I think. All this Module conversion stuff has had me reading so much nostaligic material this week its an overload lol.

I bet I have mistaken them without realising.

I will look at those links properly tomorrow, Don't think I have heard too much from Phil Gallagher over the years so that looks interesting.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:37 pm

How do we work out Stamina :?: says here 64 hit points? if I convert this to Stamina the fight would last a week :lol:
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Base Stamina is the same as the Skill you got converting the HD and then a few things can adjust both. If you want to post the D&D stats we can convert it here. Or if you'd rather keep it under your hat we can go through this one on the side. It's a whopper though!
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:14 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:Base Stamina is the same as the Skill you got converting the HD and then a few things can adjust both. If you want to post the D&D stats we can convert it here. Or if you'd rather keep it under your hat we can go through this one on the side. It's a whopper though!

I might just base it on AFF monsters for now :oops: you can have a quick look before I post it
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:27 pm

The thing was in D&D Hit Dice decides both chance to hit (Skill) and hit points (Stamina). Plus if you look through the pit books most creatures have around the same Skill and Stamina. So they're both converted from the HD.

Then some AC might end up adding to Skill and if it's physically big some Skill can be converted to Stamina. So you often don't get matching Skill and Stamina in the end.

I admit it's not the simplest system ever worked out. But you can just use the bits you want and do the rest by judgement.

Robb 1 wrote:Loved WFRP was my game of choice for many years. My campaign had very little to do with chaos etch but I used the world.
Wow you definitely did, your group really got around! :D
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:32 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:The thing was in D&D Hit Dice decides both chance to hit (Skill) and hit points (Stamina). Plus if you look through the pit books most creatures have around the same Skill and Stamina. So they're both converted from the HD.

Then some AC might end up adding to Skill and if it's physically big some Skill can be converted to Stamina. So you often don't get matching Skill and Stamina in the end.

I admit it's not the simplest system ever worked out. But you can just use the bits you want and do the rest by judgement.

Robb 1 wrote:Loved WFRP was my game of choice for many years. My campaign had very little to do with chaos etch but I used the world.
Wow you definitely did, your group really got around! :D

They sure did its a shame we never completed it sadly every one went their separate ways but the ones I still see still talk about it. When you read back through it you can see the influences miragliano was waring crime familes the pepperamis and the fetuchinis ( and they were the better pun s) the twin gods were zavlone And his sword Domeztoz and his brother was Hugamaag and his sword Gamyril. And the battle where they stabbed each other was fought at Harpeak and they will never forget the Gambies like zombies but much worse might stat them for AFF see what every one thinks :D Also fantasy pcs in a rock night mosh pit was well worth the effort :D

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”