Module Conversion

Nuvole!
Hero

Re: Module Conversion

Postby Nuvole! » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:05 am

I think you may find something useful for D&D->AFF2 conversions here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=512&p=2715&hilit=conversion#p2715
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:59 am

Torus wrote:STAMINA: Same as Hit Points
SKILL: 5 + the average of (9 - Armour Class) and Attack Bonus
Damage: Determined by weapon used
Attacks: 1 unless particularly big or dangerous
Armour: Use the following equivalences:
9: none
8: Monster Light Armour
7: Leather Hauberk
6: Monster Medium Armour
5: Chainmail Hauberk
4: Monster Heavy Armour
3: Plate Armour
Interesting to see it was heading in such a similar direction.

STAMINA equals Hp gives you numbers that are too big like we were just taking about. SKILL I think you have to base on the D&D stat that decides chance to hit, which is HD. But we both had AC can affect SKILL, which in AFF is both offensive and defensive so that makes sense. Damage as weapon used only works for creatures using weapons of course so you need to cover natural attacks too. For armour I noticed that in the rulebook the OotP monsters only use monster armour. But Beyond the Pit uses normal armour types for creatures wearing armour and monster armour only where it's natural armour, which makes more sense to me.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:26 am

Eye of the Serpent is still underway, mainly because I keep thinking of more ideas to add. Right now it's some stuff about surviving the mountain environment. I want there to be some challenges besides things to fight but keeping it simple.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:46 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:Eye of the Serpent is still underway, mainly because I keep thinking of more ideas to add. Right now it's some stuff about surviving the mountain environment. I want there to be some challenges besides things to fight but keeping it simple.

I am really looking forward to this....
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Dupont wrote:
SkinnyOrc wrote:Eye of the Serpent is still underway, mainly because I keep thinking of more ideas to add. Right now it's some stuff about surviving the mountain environment. I want there to be some challenges besides things to fight but keeping it simple.

I am really looking forward to this....

Ditto
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Shevek

Postby Shevek » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:09 am

I just purchased these AFF materials in the bundle. At first, I was mostly interested in the setting. But the system seems nice too. I think Dungeon Crawl Classics modules would fit the feel of the setting really well.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:42 am

Shevek wrote:I just purchased these AFF materials in the bundle. At first, I was mostly interested in the setting. But the system seems nice too. I think Dungeon Crawl Classics modules would fit the feel of the setting really well.

I have been peering as some of the DCC stuff for a while now, also Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea have some really fun looking adventures I fancy trying with AFF
Andy Bartlett

Postby Andy Bartlett » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Shevek wrote:I just purchased these AFF materials in the bundle. At first, I was mostly interested in the setting. But the system seems nice too. I think Dungeon Crawl Classics modules would fit the feel of the setting really well.

That is something I've been thinking too. It's not just the Russ Nicholson art in the core book, which is lavishly illustrated. While quite a few DCC RPG adventures are a bit too linear for my taste, they have that Fighting Fantasy flavour of a gritty and grim fantasy world that doesn't end up going down the pseudo-historical route - there's still lots of magic, weirdness, and... I dunno.., whimsy(?) in them.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:37 am

I was sold at "Russ Nicholson art" and "lavishly illustrated"! DCC is an OSR clone right? Anything based on the old editions of D&D should be easy enough to convert, but as I've found out there's a difference between getting something ready to run for yourself and for other people. I'm going to confidently predict having one to share this week, but I think I said that a couple of weeks ago.
Andy Bartlett

Postby Andy Bartlett » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:47 am

Yeah. Not sure how much Russ there is in the modules, I'll have to check. A significant proportion of the core book is taken up with tables for the variable effect of magic spells.

Indeed, the corruption and patron bond mechanics seem to me to suggest a way to produce the archetypal Fighting Fantasy wizard/sorcerer - powerful, but with specific weaknesses (curtains Balthus? I'd fit shutters at least).
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:53 am

I cant remember seeing a game with as much art in it as the Dungeon Crawl Classics, theres tons of it!
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:54 am

SkinnyOrc wrote: I'm going to confidently predict having one to share this week, but I think I said that a couple of weeks ago.

Cant wait
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm now writing up a UK4 When a Star Falls conversion seeing as it's the next most done already. It's also another that can fit lots of locations so it's easy to make use of. I won't be trying to rework it the way I did Eye of the Serpent, it'll be pretty much a straight conversion. Which means it shouldn't take as long!

I remembered I did an expansion (for D&D) of another old favourite, I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, where I merged B4 The Lost City into it. I called the end result The Lost and Forbidden City. There was a plan to do a Yuan Ti stronghold using a multi level Dyson Logos map as a finale, but it hasn't gotten past sketching out what's in each area of the maps. It'd be nice to get the combo adventure out for AFF2.

Does anyone have any favourites from AD&D or BX/BECMI D&D that they think would be good in Titan? Here's a few more of mine that'd be great to see for AFF2:

I6 Ravenloft - Best vampire castle adventure ever
I3 Pharaoh - Best Egyptian style pyramid adventure ever
C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan - Best Mayan style pyramid adventure ever :)
N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Fun town based investigation
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:00 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:I'm now writing up a UK4 When a Star Falls conversion seeing as it's the next most done already. It's also another that can fit lots of locations so it's easy to make use of. I won't be trying to rework it the way I did Eye of the Serpent, it'll be pretty much a straight conversion. Which means it shouldn't take as long!

I remembered I did an expansion (for D&D) of another old favourite, I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City, where I merged B4 The Lost City into it. I called the end result The Lost and Forbidden City. There was a plan to do a Yuan Ti stronghold using a multi level Dyson Logos map as a finale, but it hasn't gotten past sketching out what's in each area of the maps. It'd be nice to get the combo adventure out for AFF2.

Does anyone have any favourites from AD&D or BX/BECMI D&D that they think would be good in Titan? Here's a few more of mine that'd be great to see for AFF2:

I6 Ravenloft - Best vampire castle adventure ever
I3 Pharaoh - Best Egyptian style pyramid adventure ever
C1 The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan - Best Mayan style pyramid adventure ever :)
N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Fun town based investigation

I would love to see UK7 Dark Clouds Gather, or really any/all/most of the UK modules I would love to see

Caves of Chaos might be interesting though as a straight Dungeon even if it lacks by way of story it probably has a lot of memories for many people too.

Would you consider converting some of the White Dwarf scenarios out of interest? Lone and Level Sands holds fond memories too, among many others.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:18 pm

I think that a good Ravenloft conversion, well pitched somewhere in Mauristatia instead of a domain in a strange dimension, would be great!
After that, I3 could be staged in the dead city of Djarat (Desert of Skuls), that we encountered for the first time in Jon Green's Curse of the Mummy.

I also love very much The Temple of the Frog (DA2), by Dave Anderson, and, with some minor modifications, it could be played in Aratis, not too far from Rimon, as I suggested in the gazzetteer.
I also guess that X3 The curse of Xanathon can be moved a bit anywhere almost easily and could be another fair candidate. The same can be said of the In search of adventure super-classic adventure cycle.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”