Stellar Adventures

shintokamikaze
Knight

Stellar Adventures

Postby shintokamikaze » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Just want to start the page so people can post their ideas for SA settings.

I was thinking a few settings.
First up would be based on the 1987 Eagle comic strip called survival,I loved this story as a teen, decades before the walking dead Eagle did a post apoc zombie story

Another one from my teens would be tripods, I loved this show back in the day, it's a pity the BBC refused to make the final book, but I hear Disney are now in pre production for a movie.
Ruffnut
Hero

Re: Stellar Adventures

Postby Ruffnut » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Maybe the movie After Earth?
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm

The Last Legionary Series by Douglas Hill. I read it as a youngster and years later I found them on Ebay or something in one volume and read them again. Individually they are called Galactic Warlord, Deathwing Over Veynaa, Day of the Starwind and Planet of the Warlord. Its not hard Scifi, its pulpy and fun but its got a strong story arc and good characters. I also think the draw of possibly being the last of your kind will lend itself to decent mood and investigation elements. I would like to give it a go, time and energy permitting. Characters could be Legionaries or helping one single legionary. I could see the former with replacements to dead characters being found among allies.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Tripods....

How about Day of the Triffid then?

Thats got that post apocalyptic feel too, plus big rubbery man eating plants!
LordArioch

Postby LordArioch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Flash Gordon (the Alex Raymond strip and the Buster Crabbe movie serials)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979-1980)
Battlestar Galactica (1978)
The Dumarest novel series by E. C. Tubb (Traveller isn't the only game in town!)
Basil Wolverton's comic Spacehawk (1940-1942)
Barbarella (comic or movie)
Logan's Run movie (1976). Eventually I'll get around to reading the original trilogy of novels.
It would be interesting to see how easily one could adapt the game to suit Star Trek:TOS.
Dr. Who
The Tomorrow People
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?/Blade Runner

For those who can stomach extreme camp: Galaxina, Starcrash, Battle Beyond the Stars.

Looking over the list, I guess I'm unapologetically Old School in my preferences.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 pm

LordArioch wrote:Flash Gordon (the Alex Raymond strip and the Buster Crabbe movie serials)
The Dumarest novel series by E. C. Tubb (Traveller isn't the only game in town!)
Logan's Run movie (1976). Eventually I'll get around to reading the original trilogy of novels.
It would be interesting to see how easily one could adapt the game to suit Star Trek:TOS.
Dr. Who
The Tomorrow People

For those who can stomach extreme camp: Galaxina, Starcrash, Battle Beyond the Stars.

Looking over the list, I guess I'm unapologetically Old School in my preferences.

Ooo theres some interesting things there! Logan's Run sounds fascinating, I wonder if I could run it without devolving into Paranoia :P I hope so, that makes me think of Planet of the Apes too. I Didn't know there were novels for Logan's Run, I will have to check those out.

Original Star Trek is something I hadn't even thought about, sounds great though. Maybe even Star Trek Enterprise would work.

Battle Beyond the Stars, what a weird weird ship that was...

What about Blake's Seven?
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:17 pm

LordArioch wrote:Flash Gordon (the Alex Raymond strip and the Buster Crabbe movie serials)
Dr. Who
The Tomorrow People

Logan's run would be good, do you know they made a TV show based on the movie? also westworld would be a good one
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Perhaps the best option would be something like Star Trek TOS, you could have a totally new world every session, only limited by your imagination, or something like the other great 1960s scfi show the time tunnel.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 pm

shintokamikaze wrote:
Dr. Who
The Tomorrow People

Logan's run would be good, do you know they made a TV show based on the movie? also westworld would be a good one

Yeah I remember liking it, I don't think there was much of it though, maybe one series or something?
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 pm

For the totally wierd how about Hitch Hikers Guide to The Galaxy.

Battle of the planets would make an interesting setting quite fancied flying the firey pheonix as a kid even built it out of Lego :D
LordArioch

Postby LordArioch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pm

shintokamikaze wrote:
Dr. Who
The Tomorrow People

Logan's run would be good, do you know they made a TV show based on the movie? also Futureworld would be a good one
Corrected.

Space: 1999

Gerry Anderson's U.F.O. would be brill. :)

Spacey silliness: Quark

For a great setting, but agonisingly bad writing: The Starlost

The Black Hole (1979).

Invaders from Mars (the original -- not the pointless remake)

Flight to Mars

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers

This Island Earth

The Muppets' Pigs in Spaaaaaaaacccceeee!!! :lol:
Last edited by LordArioch on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 pm

several 2000 Ad and Star lord strips could be interesting Strontium Dog, sam slade Robohunter, Mach 1 Or even Judge Dredd himself .

The Many coloured Land series by Julian May could provide an interesting Titan origins setting or a further oddity Bucky o Hare and the Toad wars
gallowglacht

Postby gallowglacht » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 am

highCrusade.jpg
highCrusade.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 960 times

I feel like High Crusade is a good bet for a crossover AFF/SA game.
LordArioch

Postby LordArioch » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 am

A retooled, greatly-simplified version of Space Quest. That may actually be a worthwhile pursuit.
*scratches chin pensively*
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:21 am

"Zardos" This would bring new meaning to the Zed spell, and would make for a very strange game.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”