Knight

Re: Eye of the Serpent

Postby SkinnyOrc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 am

That is one very snake like river :)
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 am

I think this could easily be part of the river and further off, across lands fading to the sun you finally see that glimmer of the eye upon a distant island. Beautiful colours in that pic!
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Only thing is if the river looked like that you wouldn't need to climb the mountain to see the resemblance, so the turns must be on a much larger scale. Plus what's on the mountain doesn't really fit it being in a desert region. But it's an amazing picture with those colours.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:47 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:I've finally gotten my AFF2 conversion of Eye of the Serpent ready or close enough to it.

Please upload it to Titannica once it's complete.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:04 am

Updated with where to locate the adventure, experience award guidelines and more places where LUCK is tested or awarded. Thanks particularly to Nuvole! for his suggestions around LUCK and the idea of using a STAMINA test for the ghoul's paralysis ability.

The new download link is here.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:20 am

Looks great and very much into AFF spirit!
I'd award 1 LUCK also at successful exit to the forest after exploring the mountain.... after all the Characters have completed an important part of the adventure.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Fri May 05, 2017 3:03 pm

You're right they should all get a Luck point making it off the mountain. It's an achievement worth marking. Plus they may need it for the final confrontation with Flowmane. I'll also mention they get a good nights sleep on the journey back to the village.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:You're right they should all get a Luck point making it off the mountain. It's an achievement worth marking. Plus they may need it for the final confrontation with Flowmane. I'll also mention they get a good nights sleep on the journey back to the village.

Lol my players NEVER use luck, they probs forgot about it by now :roll:
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Fri May 05, 2017 3:47 pm

A real shame as one of my players has a very high luck score :P
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat May 06, 2017 4:07 am

In combat where it's the player's choice sure. But it's up to the Director to include situations where they ask the player to test their LUCK. The book says "The Director may ask a Player to test the LUCK of their Hero in certain circumstances, primarily where the SKILL of the Hero has little bearing. Avoiding traps, having a specific person walk past the Hero, or finding a particular item in stock in a shop are all circumstances where LUCK is required." (page 47). So I went through the module and found all the traps and natural hazards fitting that and noted they were LUCK tests.

The book also says in the trap section (page 54) that "An undetected trap can only usually be avoided by a successful test against LUCK or the Dodge Special Skill". Dodge is a modified SKILL test so for me it can only be used where their experience adventuring would make a difference. You can't dodge a crossbow flying at you from point blank range with no warning, that's just about luck. So for me most traps are LUCK test only with Dodge as an exception, judged by the Director case by case.

LUCK tests can also "be taken as an alternative to any test against SKILL (no bonuses that would normally apply to the SKILL test would apply to the test for LUCK)". Resisting or avoiding a lot of the spells is a SKILL test so it means the player can choose to rely on luck for those too. It's worth pointing that out to them because especially early on in their career it may be the better option.

Like Nuvole! pointed out, luck is something that's very Fighting Fantasy. But it's only interesting if the player's need to use it so they get worried they might not have enough next time!
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Sat May 06, 2017 8:43 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:In combat where it's the player's choice sure. But it's up to the Director to include situations where they ask the player to test their LUCK. The book says "The Director may ask a Player to test the LUCK of their Hero in certain circumstances, primarily where the SKILL of the Hero has little bearing. Avoiding traps, having a specific person walk past the Hero, or finding a particular item in stock in a shop are all circumstances where LUCK is required." (page 47). So I went through the module and found all the traps and natural hazards fitting that and noted they were LUCK tests.

The book also says in the trap section (page 54) that "An undetected trap can only usually be avoided by a successful test against LUCK or the Dodge Special Skill". Dodge is a modified SKILL test so for me it can only be used where their experience adventuring would make a difference. You can't dodge a crossbow flying at you from point blank range with no warning, that's just about luck. So for me most traps are LUCK test only with Dodge as an exception, judged by the Director case by case.

LUCK tests can also "be taken as an alternative to any test against SKILL (no bonuses that would normally apply to the SKILL test would apply to the test for LUCK)". Resisting or avoiding a lot of the spells is a SKILL test so it means the player can choose to rely on luck for those too. It's worth pointing that out to them because especially early on in their career it may be the better option.

Like Nuvole! pointed out, luck is something that's very Fighting Fantasy. But it's only interesting if the player's need to use it so they get worried they might not have enough next time!

I personally do not leave much to luck, because I usually decide what is in stock before the adventure etc.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat May 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Put those bits and pieces in, new download link here.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sun May 07, 2017 2:29 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:Put those bits and pieces in, new download link here.

Nice, I'm working on converting gallery of evil, it's set in the Garden district of Blacksand.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”