New to AFF2E & Have Some Questions

Jay_NOLA

New to AFF2E & Have Some Questions

Postby Jay_NOLA » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Hey I grabbed the bundle of holding and am new to AFF2E & all of FF stuff and have a few questions?

1.) The only one player friend of mine is a little familiar with the setting played the Sorcery books as a kid and I looked at them over 20 years ago.
The only ones I ever saw as a kid were the Sorcery ones. I did get to look for at Sword of the Samurai that was in real bad shape at a public it was in really bad shape, some pages had torn, etc.

So what are going to be the best books, etc. to read and way to get a good feel for the setting? I’m in the US and I’m not sure if reissues will be available of the book FF series or any of the related media.

2.) The Introduction to the Warlock of Firebrand Mountain says that PDF copies of the sample hero character sheets can be downloaded from the Arion Games website. Where can they be gotten? I couldn’t find a download link.

Also, slightly related the forum mentions a few things that could be download from the the site too but I can find no working or waybackmachine stored versions of these

Raiders of the Desecrated Temple
wp48bbac74_06.png

Anyone know where I can get them as well?

3.) After looking at the damaged library copy of Sword of the Samurai a few questions popped up for Asian themed games.

a.) Are any plans for an Oriental supplement in the works?

b.) How would you make a samurai with the core rule book? The core rules mention samurai as an Hero Creation chapter.

c.) One thing I noticed while spending 6 hours playing Sword of the Samurai is that it has some of the common errors that plagued oriental themed based RPG products like using incorrect names for things, confusing different monsters with others. Most of the oriental stuff that was done for RPGs iand the related used FGU’s Bushido to get info from or for inspiration and from some sources like Lafcadio Hearn's book had some errors. So would you use the correct name if you were using that in a game? For example the Rokuro-Kubi is actually a nukekubi.

d.) Do any other asian based FF stuff exist?

Thanks
Nuvole!
Hero

Re: New to AFF2E & Have Some Questions

Postby Nuvole! » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:01 am

First of all, welcome!!!

Jay_NOLA wrote:1.) So what are going to be the best books, etc. to read and way to get a good feel for the setting? I’m in the US and I’m not sure if reissues will be available of the book FF series or any of the related media.

Sorcery! is actually a great series to get a good feeling for the setting!
If you read Titan it would help too.
Other "superclassic" gamebooks that you may want to play and that are very cheap on the second hand market are The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (you may have the adventure conversion), The Forest of Doom, The Citadel of Chaos and The City of Thieves (although you may have Blacksand already).
There is also a dedicated wiki that is Titannica http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/S ... kiActivity

Jay_NOLA wrote:2.) The Introduction to the Warlock of Firebrand Mountain says that PDF copies of the sample hero character sheets can be downloaded from the Arion Games website. Where can they be gotten? I couldn’t find a download link.

I never checked that links, but it won't make a huge difference: there are several sample hero characters in the AFF Quickstart PDF (freely available here http://www.rpgnow.com/product/108092/Ad ... Quickstart )

Jay_NOLA wrote:3.) After looking at the damaged library copy of Sword of the Samurai a few questions popped up for Asian themed games...

Oriantal themes in AFF aren't huge and there isn't a specific supplement, although there are a couple other gamebooks with an oriental theme that I can remember (The Crimson Tide and Black Vein Prophecy - great gamebooks but difficult to find and fairly difficult to complete successfully).
Last edited by Nuvole! on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Welcome to the forum! I haven't read that many gamebooks, a lot of the guys here have though and I am sure will help you, the ones I have read and loved though and would stand by are exactly and Nuvole! says. Theres alot a lot of support info on these forums for things like running the Crown of Kings campaign conversion from Sorcery! to AFF2.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm

I think the titan atlas would be a good starter read, and it's free
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_xjUsly__KARERsQWtPbXlCQjg/view?usp=sharing
Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 pm

Isn't there a place called Hachiman (or something similar) on the continent of Khul? It's basically a mish-mash of Feudal Japan, Warring States China, Medieval Korea etc, I think.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 am

Baldrick wrote:Isn't there a place called Hachiman (or something similar) on the continent of Khul? It's basically a mish-mash of Feudal Japan, Warring States China, Medieval Korea etc, I think.

That's where the Sword of the Samurai is set.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Jay_NOLA

Postby Jay_NOLA » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks for the welcomes and information.

I stooped at a local bookstore yesterday and the only FF books they can get are the coloring ones and they had no information on if any of the books were going to be reissued. So I'll try some used book stores. I did see the new Scholastic one available on Amazon for pre-order that is due out in August.

I'll be reading the Atlas as I have time. That looks like it would be great to enter into Realm Works it and other stuff.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 am

On Amazon or ebay (etc.) you can find plenty of cheap second hand FF gamebooks.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”