Crown of Kings Error/Problem

Jay_NOLA

Crown of Kings Error/Problem

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:38 pm

In the Crown of Kings module it says that a you need Magic Lore to be able to read the spell to weaken the Time Serpent. What do you do if no characters have Magic Lore? The Serpent is too deadly.

Also, in the Appendix they have a picture of a scroll of writing with some roman numbers on it and a bunch of symbols, but the module doesn't indicate what this picture is for.
Dupont
Knight

Re: Crown of Kings Error/Problem

Postby Dupont » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:36 pm

You could have a side quest where someone has to learn it for some reason?
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Those runes are a puzzle in Khare if memory serves?

Edit - Yeah page 37, The House of Lortag :)
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:58 pm

In the game, a sima (good genie) turns up and translates the scroll if you are a warrior. Bit of a Deus ex Machina.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=409
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=579
you can find other comments and considerations related to that campaign.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Im looking forward to running it myself, but I will work it up a bit first. Pinching maps etc and fleshing out areas like Khare, and other zones too, making it a little more explorable and adding detailing here and there, allowing the adventurers to wander off a bit.

You could have a side quest where in order to complete a task the character has to learn magic lore. Maybe something along the lines of organising a Hermit's library in return for something the party want. That could be something like clues for the next part of the adventure or even a red herring dressed up as a clue they thought vital if you are feeling slightly mischievous. For something like that to work they will have had to heard of the NPC and his knowledge of something vital to their quest, however the source of that rumour wouldn't have to know they are on a quest at all - 'Ah, you want the quickest and safest route out of town, well if you head up that path you will eventually pass Old Grunkass's house, miserable old duffer he is, but he has a wonderful library of ancient books and he knows a lot about how to cross the Baklands and avoid its dangers they say. Not that he has left his house in years now. Anyway when you see his house turn off towards etc etc and be well on your way ( or some similar hook).

Then just have him exchange some clue in return for tidying his possibly magical library, I think it or something similar fits with the fairly surreal and odd character of the campaign, a flavour I actually really like.
Jay_NOLA

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks.

The Khare puzlze one isn't the handout I'm referring to. The one I'm referring to is a scroll with mystical /cryptic text (strange symbols, letters, etc.) it does have a roman number LIX (59) on the top of the scroll it that is sort of "hidden". All the other stuff I'm guessing that you were suppressed to find some sort of number in the handout.

Side note the Khare puzzle that was mentioned earlier calls the correct one "C" on the handout but note of those have any letters corresponding to them.

I also noticed mention of some player downloads for the module that are supposed to be on the website that I can't find too.

I've been prepping the module for Fantasy Grounds use. Did all of Chapter 1 & some of Chapter 2.

Was also think of peeping it in Realm Works.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Ooops, not sure then. I feel like it belongs in the Mampang section though. Thats gut feeling from years ago.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:14 am

It's the time serpent scroll.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”