Whips

Jay_NOLA

Whips

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm

I had these questions question about whips.

What is the damage. any special, rules, etc. for a whip? A few of the Creatures like the Fire Demon in Out of the Pit are listed as using it, but I can't find stat for it in the core rule book or in Out of the Pit. Also, what Special Skill is used for one?
Lorian
Knight

Re: Whips

Postby Lorian » Mon May 08, 2017 6:57 am

I use any suitable damage tables, and I use a whips special skill.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Mon May 08, 2017 7:04 am

Lorian wrote:I use any suitable damage tables, and I use a whips special skill.

I use damage as per club and the whips special skill. If they roll a double and win, they make an opposed strength test, and if they win their opponents weapon is flung 1D3 Metres away.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Mon May 08, 2017 7:52 am

Ruffnut wrote:

I use damage as per club and the whips special skill. If they roll a double and win, they make an opposed strength test, and if they win their opponents weapon is flung 1D3 Metres away.

I give a bonus for climbing and swinging, jumping, Doctor Jones style.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 am

shintokamikaze wrote:
Ruffnut wrote:

I give a bonus for climbing and swinging, jumping, Doctor Jones style.

Good idea :P
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
LordArioch

Postby LordArioch » Mon May 08, 2017 3:35 pm

My modest proposal:

THE WHIP (a.k.a BULLWHIP)

A whip can be employed to either ENWRAP or HIT the target. One of these two options must be announced by the player before any rolls or referee adjudications.

To enwrap: (armour damage reduction does not apply)

To enwrap, the range to target must be a few feet shorter than the total length of the whip. E.g. if a 20 ft. whip, the target should not be farther away than 15 ft. If a 30 ft whip, the target should be no farther than 25 ft., and so on.

targets: wrist, arm, neck, leg(s).

If arm/wrist or neck are selected and enwrapped, the target is pulled forward (prone); if legs/ankles are selected and enwrapped, the target falls supine.

If the intent is to enwrap the torso (pinning one or both arms to the sides of the torso), the target must be no farther than half the length of the whip.

roll 1d6:

1-3...one arm pinned (1-3...weapon arm; 4-6...other arm).
4-5...both arms pinned
6.....torso alone enwrapped; no arms pinned

If the neck is enwrapped, the target begins to strangulate, taking 2 pts. damage per combat turn.

Strength Sp. Sk. is needed to properly deploy a whip of 20 ft. in length or longer.

Disengaging a whip which is wrapped around a target requires Whip Sp. Sk.

To hit: (armour damage reduction applies)

1d6roll:1234567
---------------
result: 2333445

If the hand/wrist/arm bearing a weapon is struck, the weapon is automatically dropped (1-3), or violently flung away (4-6) out of reach.

Anyone attempting to use a whip without the Whip Sp. Sk. will injure themselves on any direct roll of 6 (30.56 percent chance). This self-inflicted damage is 1d6+1.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Mon May 08, 2017 5:30 pm

LordArioch wrote:My modest proposal:

A whip can be employed to either ENWRAP or HIT the target. One of these two options must be announced by the player before any rolls or referee adjudications.

To enwrap, the range to target must be a few feet shorter than the total length of the whip. E.g. if a 20 ft. whip, the target should not be farther away than 15 ft. If a 30 ft whip, the target should be no farther than 25 ft., and so on.

If arm/wrist or neck are selected and enwrapped, the target is pulled forward (prone); if legs/ankles are selected and enwrapped, the target falls supine.

If the intent is to enwrap the torso (pinning one or both arms to the sides of the torso), the target must be no farther than half the length of the whip.

roll 1d6:

4-5...both arms pinned

If the neck is enwrapped, the target begins to strangulate, taking 2 pts. damage per combat turn.

Strength Sp. Sk. is needed to properly deploy a whip of 20 ft. in length or longer.

---------------

If the hand/wrist/arm bearing a weapon is struck, the weapon is automatically dropped (1-3), or violently flung away (4-6) out of reach.

Anyone attempting to use a whip without the Whip Sp. Sk. will injure themselves on any direct roll of 6 (30.56 percent chance). This self-inflicted damage is 1d6+1.

Nice.
Last edited by shintokamikaze on Mon May 08, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Mon May 08, 2017 9:27 pm

shintokamikaze wrote:
LordArioch wrote:My modest proposal:

roll 1d6:

4-5...both arms pinned

---------------

EPIC
Jay_NOLA

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sat May 13, 2017 9:53 pm

I was looking through the other books I didn't look in and found this:
1.) In Beyond the Pit the Hellfire Spirit has a Flaming Whip (which just says damage as Morning Star)
2.) In Beyond the Pit in the Ogre entry For the Half-Ogre it has some whip rules, but these appear to be for nine tailed whips.
3,Titnica has some whip , damage how it works, etc. info in the Fire Demon's description. Which is supposed to be from Out of the Pit. I don't see that info in my Arion Games version.

http://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Demon

Really, like LordArioch's whip rules. They are the best.
LordArioch

Postby LordArioch » Sat May 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Jay_NOLA wrote:I was looking through the other books I didn't look in and found this:
1.) In Beyond the Pit the Hellfire Spirit has a Flaming Whip (which just says damage as Morning Star)
2.) In Beyond the Pit in the Ogre entry For the Half-Ogre it has some whip rules, but these appear to be for nine tailed whips.
3,Titnica has some whip , damage how it works, etc. info in the Fire Demon's description. Which is supposed to be from Out of the Pit. I don't see that info in my Arion Games version.

Thanks for that helpful link. I've spent hours perusing the content on Titannica. It is truly a great resource! :)
The Fire Demon entry said that the whip only does 1 pt. STAMINA damage(!). I'm pretty sure that a whip -- and one wielded by such a fearsome demon -- would mete out a tad more damage than a mosquito bite. :roll:

Now that I ruminate a bit more upon whips, I think that it would be a good way to use the entangle application to keep a spellcaster from completing any spell that requires a somatic component (hand/arm gestures, certain stances, etc.).
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Sun May 14, 2017 9:05 am

LordArioch wrote:
Jay_NOLA wrote:I was looking through the other books I didn't look in and found this:

Thanks for that helpful link. I've spent hours perusing the content on Titannica. It is truly a great resource! :)
The Fire Demon entry said that the whip only does 1 pt. STAMINA damage(!). I'm pretty sure that a whip -- and one wielded by such a fearsome demon -- would mete out a tad more damage than a mosquito bite. :roll:

Now that I ruminate a bit more upon whips, I think that it would be a good way to use the entangle application to keep a spellcaster from completing any spell that requires a somatic component (hand/arm gestures, certain stances, etc.).

I have used whips in the adventure Arazma Starwanderer, and I think that if, using those rules if the special effect happens on the same turn a spellcaster is casting a spell, it would cancel the spell, or at least give it a -4 modifier.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sun May 14, 2017 12:15 pm

This kind of disruption effect is what I see the unsung benefit of things like shiruken and thrown weapons too
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Jay_NOLA

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sun May 14, 2017 8:38 pm

One thing reading the disruption effect is that for some it may be greater or lesser depending on what is being used. Some shiruken are made to hurt enemies and not kill them and disrupt them and not do as much damage as other types.

Dupont wrote:This kind of disruption effect is what I see the unsung benefit of things like shiruken and thrown weapons too
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sun May 14, 2017 11:01 pm

Jay_NOLA wrote:One thing reading the disruption effect is that for some it may be greater or lesser depending on what is being used. Some shiruken are made to hurt enemies and not kill them and disrupt them and not do as much damage as other types.

Dupont wrote:This kind of disruption effect is what I see the unsung benefit of things like shiruken and thrown weapons too

Yeah we tend to visualise Shiruken as stars, but often they were more like sharpened metal spikes like pencils that I would certainly not want thrown at me, and then you have the whole improvised caltrop/scattered sharpened objects thrown on the floor that are very unpleasant
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”