Monks

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Re: Monks

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 am

shintokamikaze wrote:The way I see Allansia would be like 18th century China on a much bigger and longer scale, old Allansia was once a great Asian like Empire but after the fall of the dynasty of swords split into many small countries and European like influences and settlers began to creep in from the Old World till you have a melting pot of cultures with many areas in the North retaining a strong Asian flavor.
Okay that's a take on it I hadn't even considered. So in that Blacksand would be a bit like Shanghai or Hong Kong? I don't think the published material really suggests this but I've got no doubt it'd work and be a fun background.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Sun May 14, 2017 11:52 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
shintokamikaze wrote:The way I see Allansia would be like 18th century China on a much bigger and longer scale, old Allansia was once a great Asian like Empire but after the fall of the dynasty of swords split into many small countries and European like influences and settlers began to creep in from the Old World till you have a melting pot of cultures with many areas in the North retaining a strong Asian flavor.
Okay that's a take on it I hadn't even considered. So in that Blacksand would be a bit like Shanghai or Hong Kong? I don't think the published material really suggests this but I've got no doubt it'd work and be a fun background.

Lol that's what happens when you have lots of people in the 80s making it up as they go along you get crazy of the wall cannon :lol: . And I would say that Vynheim would be more like Shanghai or Hong Kong with a strong Dwarven feel as they would be the main port to the Old World, with strong trade ties between Fangthane and the royals off Gallantaria ect. Blacksand would just be a crazy lawless pirate town.
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Just a thought could Chiang mai etc be similar to the Asian Steppsor decendants of the equvalent of something similar to Genghis Khan and the Mongol hordes who settled there after they had spread destruction etc? :shock: V
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sun May 14, 2017 7:36 pm

I am sure we have touched on this elsewhere but seeing as theres discussion trying to establish a few things around Monks and martial arts etc, there is a River Kok in Thailand which flows through Chiang Mai.

I like the Idea of refugees from elswhere settling in Allansia, but I also like the idea there is a definite Asian inspiration present in Allansia. How and why theres European stock a stones throw away in many directions is an interesting problem.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:16 pm

White Dwarf did a3 or 4 part article on Ninjas Think It was called Nights Dark Agents This might convert well. Not sure which WDs it was in though will try to find them 8)
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Sun May 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Robb 1 wrote:White Dwarf did a3 or 4 part article on Ninjas Think It was called Nights Dark Agents This might convert well. Not sure which WDs it was in though will try to find them 8)

O God yeah that was a great read, I feel like it might have been for RQ and D&D but that might be because we were in the process of crossing from D&D to runequest at about that point I think, or had recently done. This all makes me want to play Bushido...
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Mon May 15, 2017 12:17 am

SkinnyOrc wrote: [You could say the people of Chang Mai are refugees from elsewhere. They remember some of the old ways but there were never enough of them to have things like orders of martial monks and ninja. But there's a lot of other ways people can look at it. Personally I don't think an asian style region fits with the rest of NW Allansia at all, it's like plonking Thailand down where Belgium is.

I'm actually working on an amateur adventure / gazzetteer where I give my personal answers to these questions, joining a number of dots and loose ends in FF lore, but the end of this work might be very, very far away in the future. I have plenty of things to complete.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Mon May 15, 2017 3:01 am

shintokamikaze wrote: The way I see Allansia would be like 18th century China on a much bigger and longer scale, old Allansia was once a great Asian like Empire but after the fall of the dynasty of swords split into many small countries and European like influences and settlers began to creep in from the Old World till you have a melting pot of cultures with many areas in the North retaining a strong Asian flavor.

Well, ancient Carsepolis was clearly portrayed with an ancient Greek flavour... yes, there were Ellenistic kingdoms (with plenty of oriental flavour) in real world after Alexander the Great, but I'm not sure I'd subscibe to your point of view.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Dupont wrote:
Robb 1 wrote:White Dwarf did a3 or 4 part article on Ninjas Think It was called Nights Dark Agents This might convert well. Not sure which WDs it was in though will try to find them 8)

O God yeah that was a great read, I feel like it might have been for RQ and D&D but that might be because we were in the process of crossing from D&D to runequest at about that point I think, or had recently done. This all makes me want to play Bushido...

It was for both RQAnd D&D but the character class was D&D orientated.

Played Bushido once many moons ago on a break from RQ the edition in the purple box with a Dragonewt and female warrior in Greek style armour and strangely blue or green nail varnish ( odd that)

we played the Kwaidan adventure from WD :lol:
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon May 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Robb 1 wrote:
Dupont wrote:

It was for both RQAnd D&D but the character class was D&D orientated.

Played Bushido once many moons ago on a break from RQ the edition in the purple box with a Dragonewt and female warrior in Greek style armour and strangely blue or green nail varnish ( odd that)

we played the Kwaidan adventure from WD :lol:

I have that RQ boxed set still :D

Thats also the only Bushido adventure I played but I loved it. I bought the PDF of Bushido about a year ago and am toying with lifting elements of it for a Warhammer adventure. I'm thinking a Magician from Far Cathay employs the party, Think Big trouble in Little China... Loved how magic worked in Bushido and I feel it can cross over to WFRP with a bit of tinkering
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Sadly traded my RQ many years ago along with Cults of Prax the red cults griffin mtn and the scorpion hall solo :cry: seemed like a good idea at the time had just got back into D&D 2nd so bought loads of modules and supplement settings as it was worth a pretty penny even then sort of regret it now as it was adamn fine system never got into the later RQs as they seemed to lack that certain something. The WHFRP Kwaidan sounds interesting could be fun though cant remember how the macic worked I was a Samurai :D .

As noted in other posts I sent my WHFRP pcs all over and through time too the new york bit was hysterical as was the arabian knights via dune bit and the mysterious cities of gold, miragliano via the God Father (sort of) and the Slaine temple from 2000AD diceman adventure. The parravon bit which climaxed at a blood bath at a nobles ball was messy and very non strictly come dancing :lol:
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon May 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Robb 1 wrote:Sadly traded my RQ many years ago along with Cults of Prax the red cults griffin mtn and the scorpion hall solo :cry: seemed like a good idea at the time had just got back into D&D 2nd so bought loads of modules and supplement settings as it was worth a pretty penny even then sort of regret it now as it was adamn fine system never got into the later RQs as they seemed to lack that certain something. The WHFRP Kwaidan sounds interesting could be fun though cant remember how the macic worked I was a Samurai :D .

As noted in other posts I sent my WHFRP pcs all over and through time too the new york bit was hysterical as was the arabian knights via dune bit and the mysterious cities of gold, miragliano via the God Father (sort of) and the Slaine temple from 2000AD diceman adventure. The parravon bit which climaxed at a blood bath at a nobles ball was messy and very non strictly come dancing :lol:

O Jesus your games sound mental! :D Mysterious Cities of Gold was a great cartoon, I started watching them and stoped half way recently, I must get back to them. Yeah RQ2 seemed to have more charm than 3 , but we played 3 a lot. I think they remastered RQ2 recently unless I am losing it - pretty sure though.

I was thinking of having the characters being in the employ of a crazy looking Cathayan alchemist in Marienburg and see if the Bushido influenced magic works nicer than 1st edition magic. I always felt magic should be rarer, slower to gain and more subtle more often than not in WFRP. Balancing that and keeping the wizard character potent would be the key, I think they would need some ability to call down occasional more powerful versions of spells though if they are rarer. I dunno something like that.
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:25 pm

O Jesus your games sound mental! :D Mysterious Cities of Gold was a great cartoon, I started watching them and stoped half way recently, I must get back to them. Yeah RQ2 seemed to have more charm than 3 , but we played 3 a lot. I think they remastered RQ2 recently unless I am losing it - pretty sure though.

I was thinking of having the characters being in the employ of a crazy looking Cathayan alchemist in Marienburg and see if the Bushido influenced magic works nicer than 1st edition magic. I always felt magic should be rarer, slower to gain and more subtle more often than not in WFRP. Balancing that and keeping the wizard character potent would be the key, I think they would need some ability to call down occasional more powerful versions of spells though if they are rarer. I dunno something like that.[/quote]

Do you have the Hogs head supplement sold down the river The Marienburgh supplement theres a cathayan npc think he may be a wizard but he is also a tsin tsin cultist Tzeench to us westerners would be a nice twist for you. If not let me know and will pm the stats to you.

Yup mysterious city's of gold the pcs grabbed the condor It was actually a heavy bomber used napalm it bellonged to the villains of the piece till p cs nicked it there were also golden eagle fighters and solar weapons pistols rifles end lances had a great air to air battle bombing runsstraifing runs you name it and a were eagle the adventure came to me in a dream believe it or not called it Mountains of Madness and set it in the WH new world Alzak Onkar and Almek tribes and blood sacrifice at tehotehuokan the living mountain
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Robb 1 wrote:Just a thought could Chiang mai etc be similar to the Asian Steppsor decendants of the equvalent of something similar to Genghis Khan and the Mongol hordes who settled there after they had spread destruction etc? :shock: V
That would work pretty well to explain why they're there. Only thing is where would they invade from? Seems like there's plenty of room in the eastern part of the Allansian continent to fit an oriental region but of course it'd be a kind of large addition to the world of Titan. The reason I thought refugees is it seems more likely that'd work with them coming from the known oriental regions on and around the south east part of Khul. If they sailed north east from there you get to NW Allansia, although it's still a hell of a long way!
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Robb 1 wrote:Just a thought could Chiang mai etc be similar to the Asian Steppsor decendants of the equvalent of something similar to Genghis Khan and the Mongol hordes who settled there after they had spread destruction etc? :shock: V
That would work pretty well to explain why they're there. Only thing is where would they invade from? Seems like there's plenty of room in the eastern part of the Allansian continent to fit an oriental region but of course it'd be a kind of large addition to the world of Titan. The reason I thought refugees is it seems more likely that'd work with them coming from the known oriental regions on and around the south east part of Khul. If they sailed north east from there you get to NW Allansia, although it's still a hell of a long way!

Good point will have to think about that one :oops:

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”