Expanding adventures by asking questions

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Re: Expanding adventures by asking questions

Postby SkinnyOrc » Mon May 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Dupont wrote:Seeing as Kobolds have a history going from reptilian D&D things to dogheaded goblinoid things in mythology, you could transform them into a bunch of mismatched things
It was more household/mines fairy to dog headed goblinoid to reptilian but yeah it's a bit confused ;) Making them some sort of mini-mutant would work to. If I was writing up KotB I'd only ever stick with how they were in the module (dog headed goblinoid) or replace them with the nearest AFF2 creature, for me the wingless gremlin. It's less about how they look and more about playing the same role, smaller than a goblin but making up for it with traps and cunning. There's more imaginative options but I'd try and stay as close as possible to the module.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon May 29, 2017 12:44 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Dupont wrote:Seeing as Kobolds have a history going from reptilian D&D things to dogheaded goblinoid things in mythology, you could transform them into a bunch of mismatched things
It was more household/mines fairy to dog headed goblinoid to reptilian but yeah it's a bit confused ;) Making them some sort of mini-mutant would work to. If I was writing up KotB I'd only ever stick with how they were in the module (dog headed goblinoid) or replace them with the nearest AFF2 creature, for me the wingless gremlin. It's less about how they look and more about playing the same role, smaller than a goblin but making up for it with traps and cunning. There's more imaginative options but I'd try and stay as close as possible to the module.

I get that completely, I'm just thinking out loud now and then and I saw something that reminded me of some visual images from some gamebooks :D
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Mon May 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Like ape-dog and dog-ape? :D
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Mon May 29, 2017 4:43 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:Like ape-dog and dog-ape? :D

NEVER!

Maybe...

What sent my mind there was watching a stream where kobolds were desrribed as crocodile like humanoids and the looser mutant thing in AFF for creatures like that just fell into place.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 pm

quote="Robb 1"]I think its fasinating that rpg games create images of mythical creatures like goblins as sword fodder when they were very magical beings akin to the fair folk[/quote]Yep RPG conventions are so ingrained they've taken over the meanings. Looks like goblins, hobgoblins, kobolds and bugbears were all fairy type creatures or even spirits. Tolkien made goblins a race you could fight and orcs came from him too as another name for goblin. But! That's in line with the Scandinavian sagas where trolls, giant's, dwarves and elves were often dealt with at the pointy end of a sword. What I read somewhere was Tolkien wanted to write a heroic saga style myth for the Anglo-Saxons. Of course Gygax made his own changes and some were a bit random...[/quote]

Very true with the Norse myths the gods seem to get to the pointy end or big splatty hammerhead of business more than talking this comes over alot in the Neil Gaiman retelling and Crossley Holland's book too.
I guess gods and giants etc just don't get on :D such is life.

Cheers for reminding me of the correct catalogue no for Into the unknown. Not having read or had the module for many years my memory has become vague :oops:
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Into the Unknown is one I looked at years ago to remap it to be more like a castle and less like two a4 pages of grid mapped dungeon, but I could never make it work. This got me thinking about it again and I had a great idea on the bus this morning about how to do it! Like Dupont said a bit of inspiration can come from anywhere. So cheers for bringing B1 up!
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:29 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:Into the Unknown is one I looked at years ago to remap it to be more like a castle and less like two a4 pages of grid mapped dungeon, but I could never make it work. This got me thinking about it again and I had a great idea on the bus this morning about how to do it! Like Dupont was saying, a bit of inspiration can come from anywhere. So cheers for bringing it up.

No probs my pleasure don't know if you're interested but just got a basic D &D bundle from Drive thru games basic rules cyclopedia and all the various world gazeteer s for a song just over £11 loads of stuffto plunder for AFF will be interested in seeing your upgrade of Into the unknown :D

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”