Some houserules

bottg
Site Admin

Some houserules

Postby bottg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 pm

I am just testing something (watch this space) and will be playing in an AFF campaign very soon.

Although i am not running it, we have decided on at least 2 houserules that we will use.

Firstly, borrowing from Stellar Adventures, all characters can use the dodge armour protection tables. However, it only protects if the number generated is better than that of the armour. They don't add together. So if you have Dodge 2 and a leather cuirass, you get no benefit from the dodge. The Swashbuckler talent now adds +1 to the Dodge protection roll in the same way as Armour Training does for armour.

Secondly, a character cannot have a special skill rating higher than half his SKILL. So after 1 adventure a warrior (SKILL 7) can increase Swords to 3, but cannot increase it to 4 until SKILL goes up to 8. Knowledge special skills are limited by half SKILL or half MAGIC, whichever is higher and Magical skills are obviously limited by MAGIC. This way, a character cannot quickly become deadly with one weapon whilst ignoring everything else.

It will be run over Fantasy Grounds, and i am quite looking forward to it!
Nuvole!
Hero

Re: Some houserules

Postby Nuvole! » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:36 am

I suggest you playtest as well the rule for hitting with ranged weapons when you reach 15 (with modifiers) and not with opposed rolls like melee weapons.
In my experience it works better and it is in general more realistic.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:07 am

I like all these rules!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 am

I will playtest these definitely!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Hello all! Long time no see. I've been marking exams, writing textbooks and tutoring since April, but I love these ideas and I couldn't resist the idea of doing some numbers stuff. It will take a lot more xp to advance at first in the house rule, which will slow things down. It will also close the gap with player competence. Players can no longer get 6 points at 1 skill and be amazing but be terrible at everything else. This is good as you can make harder adventures where players aren't going to fall flat on their faces when they come across one situation they can't do. Since they have had to raise their SKILL, they have a better chance at succeeded at a skill they are untrained in.

The difference is most pronounced when you are trying to get an effective skill of 10-13 and then it levels off when both players have to improve their SKILL.

So, if you are a starting character, the highest "effective skill" (SKILL + special skill) you can have in something is 7 +2 = 9 (well 10, if you decide to put your 2 points into a racial skill, but no racical skill is a weapon skill or magic, so I'm not too interested in them.

So, to get an effective skill of 10, it costs 30xp in both the old and the house rule system.

To get an effective skill of 11, in the old system, you just need to improve your special skill by 2 points from 2 to 4. That costs 30 + 40 = 70xp
To get an effective skill of 11 in the new system, you need to improve your special skill from 2-3 points and then your SKILL from 7-8. That costs 30 + 160 = 190xp

To get an effective skill of 12 in the old system, all you need to do is to go from 2 points in a special skill to 5 points in a special skill. 30 + 40 + 50 = 120xp
o get an effective skill of 12 in the new system, you need to improve your special skill from 2-4 points and then your SKILL from 7-8. That costs 30 + 40 + 160 = 230xp

To get an effective skill of 13 in the old system, all you need to do is to go from 2 points in a special skill to 6 points in a special skill. 30 + 40 + 50 + 60 = 180xp
o get an effective skill of 13 in the new system, you need to improve your special skill from 2-4 points and then your SKILL from 7-9. That costs 30 + 40 + 160 + 180 = 410xp

To get an effective skill of 14 in the old system, all you need to do is to go from 2 points in a special skill to 6 points in a special skill and then take your SKILL from 7-8. 30 + 40 + 50 + 60 + 160 = 340xp
To get an effective skill of 14 in the new system, you need to improve your special skill from 2-4 points and then your SKILL from 7-10. That costs 30 + 40 + 160 + 180 +200 = 610xp

To get an effective skill of 15 in the old system, all you need to do is to go from 2 points in a special skill to 6 points in a special skill and then take your SKILL from 7-9. 30 + 40 + 50 + 60 + 160 + 180 = 520xp
To get an effective skill of 15 in the new system, you need to improve your special skill from 2-5 points and then your SKILL from 7-10. That costs 30 + 40 + 50 + 160 + 180 +200 = 660xp

To get an effective skill of 16 in the old system, all you need to do is to go from 2 points in a special skill to 6 points in a special skill and then take your SKILL from 7-10. 30 + 40 + 50 + 60 + 160 + 180 + 200 = 720xp
To get an effective skill of 16 in the new system, you need to improve your special skill from 2-5 points and then your SKILL from 7-11. That costs 30 + 40 + 50 + 160 + 180 + 200 + 220 = 880xp

To get an effective skill of 17 in the old system, all you need to do is to go from 2 points in a special skill to 6 points in a special skill and then take your SKILL from 7-11. 30 + 40 + 50 + 60 + 160 + 180 + 200 + 220 = 940xp
To get an effective skill of 17 in the new system, you need to improve your special skill from 2-5 points and then your SKILL from 7-12. That costs 30 + 40 + 50 + 160 + 180 + 200 + 220 +240 = 1120xp

To get an effective skill of 18 in the old system, all you need to do is to go from 2 points in a special skill to 6 points in a special skill and then take your SKILL from 7-11. 30 + 40 + 50 + 60 + 160 + 180 + 200 + 220 + 240 = 1180xp
To get an effective skill of 18 in the new system, you need to improve your special skill from 2-6 points and then your SKILL from 7-12. That costs 30 + 40 + 50 + 60 + 160 + 180 + 200 + 220 +240 = 1180xp
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm

bottg wrote:I am just testing something (watch this space) and will be playing in an AFF campaign very soon.

Although i am not running it, we have decided on at least 2 houserules that we will use.

Firstly, borrowing from Stellar Adventures, all characters can use the dodge armour protection tables. However, it only protects if the number generated is better than that of the armour. They don't add together. So if you have Dodge 2 and a leather cuirass, you get no benefit from the dodge. The Swashbuckler talent now adds +1 to the Dodge protection roll in the same way as Armour Training does for armour.

Secondly, a character cannot have a special skill rating higher than half his SKILL. So after 1 adventure a warrior (SKILL 7) can increase Swords to 3, but cannot increase it to 4 until SKILL goes up to 8. Knowledge special skills are limited by half SKILL or half MAGIC, whichever is higher and Magical skills are obviously limited by MAGIC. This way, a character cannot quickly become deadly with one weapon whilst ignoring everything else.

It will be run over Fantasy Grounds, and i am quite looking forward to it!

The second rule should be added into the book, it should be an official rule
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:40 pm

I always use that rule!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Jay_NOLA

Postby Jay_NOLA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:41 am

I like the 2nd rule.

Is the testing AFF extension for the ore Core rule set or a new version of the old AFF2e rule set and libary .mod file for Fantasy Grounds. I did a a few .mod files for the AFF2e set to cover some of the stuff from other books and covered some stuff that aren't in the AFF mod file.
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

The FG is a new one based on MoreCore. Send me an email and i will share it with you for your thoughts.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:46 pm

bottg wrote:all characters can use the dodge armour protection tables. However, it only protects if the number generated is better than that of the armour... The Swashbuckler talent now adds +1 to the Dodge protection roll in the same way as Armour Training does for armour.
Yes nice. I started thinking about something along these lines after typing up all the traps in my last adventure conversion. I'd come to the conclusion most traps should be LUCK tests, not dodges. Which got me wondering what the Dodge special Skill then should be good for.

bottg wrote:a character cannot have a special skill rating higher than half his SKILL.
I believe this is a good step forward and stops players increasing AS too quickly. I do think the problem is not only that but also that the upper limit of AS is too high compared to the SKILL of the monsters in the Pitt books. But it would now at least take a long time for a character to get there.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:51 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
bottg wrote:all characters can use the dodge armour protection tables. However, it only protects if the number generated is better than that of the armour... The Swashbuckler talent now adds +1 to the Dodge protection roll in the same way as Armour Training does for armour.
Yes nice. I started thinking about something along these lines after typing up all the traps in my last adventure conversion. I'd come to the conclusion most traps should be LUCK tests, not dodges. Which got me wondering what the Dodge special Skill then should be good for.

bottg wrote:a character cannot have a special skill rating higher than half his SKILL.
I believe this is a good step forward and stops players increasing AS too quickly. I do think the problem is not only that but also that the upper limit of AS is too high compared to the SKILL of the monsters in the Pitt books. But it would now at least take a long time for a character to get there.

I prefer to not use luck whenever a special skill can be used.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Ruffnut wrote:I prefer to not use luck whenever a special skill can be used.
Fair enough, so ask yourself this. Why would it be possible to avoid a bolt from a crossbow trap with a Dodge test, but you can't avoid a bolt shot at you by an enemy like that? You have more warning of the second (there's someone aiming a crossbow at you) and it's probably coming from further away. Then consider a poison needle shot out of a chest from a foot away. So I'd suggest that with most traps there is no special skill that could be used, either you're in the wrong place or you're not. But you can of course spot a trap before its triggered with a special skill roll.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:09 am

Guess so
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:10 am

Maybe you get a bonus to the luck test if you pass a Dodge test?
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:17 am

There is a game system called Low Fantasy Gaming (which you can get a free pdf of at https://lowfantasygaming.com/) where they have luck as an attribute and sometimes luck tests can be modified by other attributes. For example, if you are dodging a lightning bolt, it is a Luck (Dex) test. Maybe if a situation is down to luck but could be modifed by a skill (such as you spring a crossbow trap), then you could test for luck, but add your dodge bonus to it. This would be different than seeing someone fire a crossbow at you as you are able to work out where it might go and so that is more down to skill than luck.

I suppose that draws a fine line between pure luck rolls, luck with a special skill and pure skill.

Not being struck by lightning - pure luck

Finding a particular book in a library written in Ancient Allansian - luck (to find the book) + Languages (Ancient Allansian) (because you can elimniate the books you aren't looking for)

Deciphering a book written in Ancient Allansian - pure skill.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”