Some houserules

User avatar
SkinnyOrc
Knight
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:53 am
Contact:

Re: Some houserules

Postby SkinnyOrc » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:55 am

Slloyd14 wrote:they have luck as an attribute and sometimes luck tests can be modified by other attributes.
Good to have a mechanic for where it's mostly about luck but a bit of skill comes into it too, like the library example.

I can only see Dodge applying (tested directly or modifying a luck test) where it's something you got at least a moments warning of and had a chance to react to. So avoiding being hit in a rock slide definitely. A trap where a large stone ball was rolling at them down a steeply sloped corridor, bouncing off the walls, sure.

With a trap shooting a missile, Dodge might come into it if you can tell you've triggered it (a trip wire or pressure plate you can feel or a noticeable click maybe) and there's a moments delay before it shot. Then you might be able to throw yourself aside and hope that took you out of the way. The cruder the trap the more true that would be, so orc traps might be a full Dodge test but dwarf made ones pure luck to avoid, with everything between. But most IMO would be a Luck test with modifiers at best.

What about a Sixth Sense talent that gave you a chance to dodge what usually couldn't be? It might also give a bonus to awareness tests to avoid being surprised?
Ruffnut
Hero
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:17 am

Re: Some houserules

Postby Ruffnut » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:06 am

I am now using a sixth sense talent in my games.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
User avatar
dcpchamber
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Re: Some houserules

Postby dcpchamber » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:57 am

shintokamikaze wrote:
bottg wrote:I am just testing something (watch this space) and will be playing in an AFF campaign very soon.

Although i am not running it, we have decided on at least 2 houserules that we will use.

Firstly, borrowing from Stellar Adventures, all characters can use the dodge armour protection tables. However, it only protects if the number generated is better than that of the armour. They don't add together. So if you have Dodge 2 and a leather cuirass, you get no benefit from the dodge. The Swashbuckler talent now adds +1 to the Dodge protection roll in the same way as Armour Training does for armour.

Secondly, a character cannot have a special skill rating higher than half his SKILL. So after 1 adventure a warrior (SKILL 7) can increase Swords to 3, but cannot increase it to 4 until SKILL goes up to 8. Knowledge special skills are limited by half SKILL or half MAGIC, whichever is higher and Magical skills are obviously limited by MAGIC. This way, a character cannot quickly become deadly with one weapon whilst ignoring everything else.

It will be run over Fantasy Grounds, and i am quite looking forward to it!


The second rule should be added into the book, it should be an official rule


Agreed. It should definitely be in the book.
Slloyd14
Site Admin
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Some houserules

Postby Slloyd14 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:19 am

bottg wrote:I am just testing something (watch this space) and will be playing in an AFF campaign very soon.

Although i am not running it, we have decided on at least 2 houserules that we will use.

Firstly, borrowing from Stellar Adventures, all characters can use the dodge armour protection tables. However, it only protects if the number generated is better than that of the armour. They don't add together. So if you have Dodge 2 and a leather cuirass, you get no benefit from the dodge. The Swashbuckler talent now adds +1 to the Dodge protection roll in the same way as Armour Training does for armour.

Secondly, a character cannot have a special skill rating higher than half his SKILL. So after 1 adventure a warrior (SKILL 7) can increase Swords to 3, but cannot increase it to 4 until SKILL goes up to 8. Knowledge special skills are limited by half SKILL or half MAGIC, whichever is higher and Magical skills are obviously limited by MAGIC. This way, a character cannot quickly become deadly with one weapon whilst ignoring everything else.

It will be run over Fantasy Grounds, and i am quite looking forward to it!


I've just realised that you might have to make an exception for language skills as you need 4 in a language to speak it fluently. I'm sure even a skill 5 human can speak fluent common.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
User avatar
dcpchamber
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Re: Some houserules

Postby dcpchamber » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:I've just realised that you might have to make an exception for language skills as you need 4 in a language to speak it fluently. I'm sure even a skill 5 human can speak fluent common.


I never liked this system of having to place skill points in order to be fluent in an language. Here, we made the language skill some kind of a hybrid of skill-talent: for every point spent on languages special skill, you learn how to read, write and speak a language in addition to common (and your natural language, if the hero is not a human).
User avatar
SkinnyOrc
Knight
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:53 am
Contact:

Re: Some houserules

Postby SkinnyOrc » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 pm

It's probably better to only apply the SKILL based cap to Weapon Special Skills. Here's the thing, a strength of the AFF2 character system is you can write up a NPC that has low SKILL and STAMINA (no adventuring/combat experience) but is very strong in one or more special skills. That lets you have the overweight merchant who can sell ice to yetis and the frail scholar who's an expert on Carsepolian chamber pots. It's a very flexible system.

dcpchamber wrote:I never liked this system of having to place skill points in order to be fluent in an language.
It does seem unnecessary to have to track your skill with your native language. But for additional languages you've learnt it makes more sense.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest