Port of Peril

Robb 1
Knight

Re: Port of Peril

Postby Robb 1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 pm

still not started to play it properly yet only skimmed the first couple of paragraphs. As I said before I like the description Of Chalice I recon theres enough in the description to build it into an AFF2 campaign some unusual characters too like the Cyclops Weapons/blacksmith Cy and a mix of other races elves man works Striders gnomes etc. Will hopefully make the book on holiday and have a bash at it.

Any one seen the reprints of the others yet has the art been changed for them?
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 am

Robb 1 wrote:Any one seen the reprints of the others yet has the art been changed for them?

Unfortunately it has... I am not a fan of the art at all. It did surprise me somewhat as i understood that the nostalgia market was their intention to get the interest going.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:22 am

Just got mine as well!
I think the cover is good, the internal full-page images are OK (although not ideal for greyscale) but the small repeated images filling the gaps between paragraphs are really very bad. They give a very unprofessional first impression.
Often the historical FF gamebooks were a bit the other way around: several poor covers and remarkable internal images made for black and white.
Happens... :roll:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
SkinnyOrc
Knight

Postby SkinnyOrc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 am

Yep agree the small images are the worst of it. Pen and ink illustrations just look better for black and white than something done in colour and then greyscaled. Don't know what they were thinking.
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:14 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:Yep agree the small images are the worst of it. Pen and ink illustrations just look better for black and white than something done in colour and then greyscaled. Don't know what they were thinking.

I might have to ask them at FFF next weekend! On that note, anyone who is going should ask them as well. You never know, the second printing might have better art!
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:37 am

True and true
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:46 am

On the other hand, I think that The Port of Peril is approximately on par with The City of Thieves under quality point of view (and I love The City of Thieves, as it was my very first FF gamebook), that is not the peak of Ian's production (that is of course Deathtrap Dungeon), but it is a very good standard (for sure above Blood of the Zombies, for example...)

Overall I would like to thank Ian very much for this gamebook and also for the extra (very RPG friendly) detail provided about Chalice, as I made this town in practice the starting point of most of my adventeures...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”