A few suggestions for rules changes

Slloyd14
Site Admin

A few suggestions for rules changes

Postby Slloyd14 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Local Lore
Instead of City Lore, can you expand it to be (Named area) lore which covers not just cities but also areas of countryside or wilderness so that people get a bonus in that area for its people, for navigation for hunting and for finding things of use. For example, you could have Local Lore - Moonstone Hills or Local Lore - Flatlands or Local Lore - Fire Island. This is different from terrain lore as the local lore might cover several terrains but it would only be appropriate for that area. Fire Island has a jungle, swamp and mountain, so Local Lore - Fire Island would work for all of them, but it would not work in the Icefinger Mountains or Scorpion Swamp.

No Swashbuckler talent
This is redundant now. It can be replaced with the Light Footed talent. EDIT: I just noticed bottg mentioned this in this post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2230

Armour for unarmoured people
Unarmoured people get to reduce damage by 1 on an armour roll of 7+. This has no effect most of the time, but if they have a bonus to armour rolls (such as from the Light Footed talent), it gives them a chance of reducing damage even without armour. This is effectively like having a Dodge skill of 0.

Special skill points
Special skills can only go as high as half maximum skill, round down. I know this has been done before, but it's so imortant, I thought I might repeat it. Mentioned in this post: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2230

Languages
Instead of having points for languages and needing 4 points to be fluent, maybe the languages skill can be more of a “decipher” skill where the hero can decipher written and spoken languages that they don’t know. Learning a language to a fluency level could cost 100xp (which is 10 points less than getting 4 points in a skill). The Natural Linguist talent could give a +2 bonus to language rolls and also allow the hero to learn languages for only 50xp.

Silver-Tongued
In Stellar Adventures the Silver-Tongued talent gives a +2 bonus to four skills. In AFF2 it gives a +3 bonus. I would prefer a +2 bonus as a +3 bonus for four skills is a bit strong, making the hero a bit of a social game breaker.

Damage for masterwork weapons and damage from enchanted weapons
In the original rulebook, a sword of sharpness gives a bonus to damage rolls. However, in the Sorcery! book (and somewhere else but I can't remember where), sharpening a sword or getting a superior weapon gives a +1 to damage rolls. Also, SkinnyOrc sent me this as a message (but I don't know if it is public) that maybe superior weapons should get a +1 to damage rolls and enchanted weapons should get a +1 to actual damage. Inferior or damaged weapons could have a -1 to damage rolls.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
dcpchamber

Re: A few suggestions for rules changes

Postby dcpchamber » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:35 am

Hopefuly one day we'll have a rules cyclopedia with these house rules 8)
Now that you mentioned, we use a similar rule for masterwork and enchanted weapons/armors.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”