Does smite work in this way?

edoreld

Does smite work in this way?

Postby edoreld » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am

From Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2nd Edition:
Smite
This power allows the Priest to do greatly increased damage against the enemies of the God, specified for each deity. The power will last for a number of combat rounds equal to the Priest's Devotion and will allow the Priest to roll 2 separate D6’s for damage. The results of each damage roll are both applied to the target, and indeed any bonuses to the damage roll are applied to both rolls.

How it's currently used in my table:
"For a number of combat rounds equal to the Priest's Devotion, the priest can choose a target that is an enemy of their god, and then he can roll 2d6 damage against that target without having to try to hit"

What I can understand is:
"For a number of combat rounds equal to the Priest's Devotion, whenever the priest succeeds in hitting their target with their weapon, and if that target is an enemy of their god, then he can roll 2 instead of 1 dice for damage from his weapon's damage table".

Which interpretation is correct?
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: Does smite work in this way?

Postby Slloyd14 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:43 am

I assume it's the second one. The priest has to hit the monster to get the benefits.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
edoreld

Postby edoreld » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:49 am

Slloyd14 wrote:I assume it's the second one. The priest has to hit the monster to get the benefits.

Yeah, that's what I assume too, but it would be good to have an official ruling to confirm.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 pm

The text says that for that number of rounds it allows two separate rolls for damage (instead of one) on the damage table (so you'll make a damage equal to the sum of the results of the two rolls), but the hit roll is not mentioned and therefore it should't change from normal.
Of course I'm not an official commentator, but that's what I always read in it.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
edoreld

Postby edoreld » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Had my question answered by a user with the handle Graham Bottley on Stack Overflow.
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/105519/is-the-way-my-gm-is-using-smite-correct/105539#105539

Therefore, if it's legit, the correct answer is that smite works in the following way:
For a number of combat rounds equal to the Priest's Devotion, whenever the priest succeeds in hitting their target with their weapon, and if that target is an enemy of their god, then he can roll 2 instead of 1 dice for damage from his weapon's damage table. The STAMINA damage inflicted will be read from the weapon's damage table and added up before being reduced by amor and applied to the target. If the priest has a power or spell that grants a +1 to their damage roll, this will apply to both D6's

The ruling by alleged Graham Bottley:
The way it works is that when the power is triggered, the Priest causes extra damage against enemies of his or her God. Because damage is determined by a D6 roll on the specific weapon combat table, a normal hit will roll one D6, the STAMINA damage inflicted will be read from the table and that applied to the target. Armour may reduce that damage. With this power active, the priest can roll two separate D6's. Both of these are read on the weapon combat table and both STAMINA damages added together before being reduced by armour and applied to the target. If the priest has a power or spell that grants a +1 to their damage roll, this will apply to both D6's.
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:46 am

Thats me!!

Essentially it allows the Priest to inflict more damage to enemies of his God when he strikes them in combat.
edoreld

Postby edoreld » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Aha, makes sense, I think the way we were using was way overpowered, as it allowed a new character to deal massive damage with basically no effort.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”