Moria version 2 - with a lot less rolling!

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Moria version 2 - with a lot less rolling!

Postby Slloyd14 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 am

Hi all! After starting to pregenerate a Moria dungeon for Fighting Fantasy Fest, I realised that it takes a lot of rolling and takes up a lot of time, so I changed the generator and made an excel spreadsheet to spead things up.

First, there are no quest treasures and normal treasures any more - I tidied up the table. You can no longer get superior weapons and armour - just magic items. This means one less table to refer to.

I made the excel spreadsheet to randomly generate the rooms and say what each room is and a number next to it with xd6 where x is the level which can determine the contents of the room. I also have a table which says which room has the stairs etc. So you take the random table and print it out. Then, since the quest room overtakes the contents of the room, shade the quest rooms in blue (for example level 1 room 4, level 2 room 3, level 3 room 1 etc.).

Then look at the relevant table to see the contents. For example, on level 10, you might get a hazard and 38, so you go to 38 on the hazards table. If it was an encounter, you go to the encounters table.

Most of the encounters involve more dice rolls, which is why I have also made another sheet on the excel spreadsheet which is just a long list of dice rolls, from d2, d3 and d6 all the way up to 22d6. When you need a number, you go to the column for the relevant dice, use the first number on the list and shade it with a pencil to show it has been used. There are 48 numbers per roll, but if you need more, just hit return to generate a load more and print that one out too.

All I need now is a random dungeon generator that can make a map with exactly 6 rooms in it every time (seems hard to find). If anyone can suggest one, I will be very grateful.

Here is the link to the new adventure and spreadsheet - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw3nC ... mhLM3gtQVU

If you come to FFF2, this might be what we will be playing!
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: Moria version 2 - with a lot less rolling!

Postby Slloyd14 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:39 am

After some fiddling with the Donjon instructions, I have managed to find a setting that sometimes gives 6 rooms. I guess if there's more than 6 then there can be more encounters - you will just know that the stairs, recall stone and quest room is not in rooms 7 or more. And since you get xp per level and not per room, it is making it more difficult.

To get a different map, you just change the random seed.

The generator is here: http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/dungeon/

The screenshot of the instructions is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw3nC ... zRoblZHaE0
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 am

Really nice job!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 am

AMAZING
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:11 am

Great!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Great, I will be there
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:51 pm

shintokamikaze wrote:Great, I will be there

Same!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Ruffnut wrote:
shintokamikaze wrote:Great, I will be there

Same!

Same!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Me too :)
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”