Question about holdings - are the wages of staff included?

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Question about holdings - are the wages of staff included?

Postby Slloyd14 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Hello all. I'm just doing an adventure when you run a castle because that sort of thing is rarely covered in RPGs and I have a few questions about numbers. My castle is a level 10 holding which means that to get the profit for a month, you roll 2d6, add your Stewardship skill and multiply by 64. Lets say that you roll a 7 and have Stewardship 3. That's 640gp. Woooo! Except that a level 10 holding also needs 40 staff with a skill of 5 and a special skill of 2. This means that, according to the hireling rules, you need to pay each hireling 7gp a day, which is 280gp a day and 7840 a month.

Are the wages of staff deducted before the profit roll?

Also, if you buy a workshop such as a blacksmiths, do you need any level in Craft? Can the level of Craft skill of your blacksmith/you improve the profit? The default Skill level is 2 points so can every point over 2 give a bonus?

It's still a question that needs answering, but I'm going to try something else with this adventure.
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.
Lorian
Knight

Re: Question about holdings - are the wages of staff included?

Postby Lorian » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:30 pm

I always thought the Hirelings wages were part of the maintenance, but I like your way better!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:30 pm

I always assume that the staffs wages are paid for before income roll. Either that or it is in maintenance.
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
Dupont
Knight

Postby Dupont » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:14 pm

Pendragon and The One Ring have a lot of book keeping phases in their games, a lot of which deals with ( in different ways ) things like running holdings of various sorts and Manor Houses. In fact now I think of it, I recently saw a really complex fan made doc on the Cubicle 7 One Ring forum that dealt with castles, lands, all that maintenance stuff in massive detail - you might find it useful.
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:07 pm

The pendragon system does work this out quite well as far as I can remember and it's pretty simple to use with rolls for keeping your coin from your manors, horses, hounds hawks, children born etc. There's also the House creation system from from The Chronicle rpg system used in the Game of thrones RPG from Green Rhonin which might work quite well too.
bottg
Site Admin

Postby bottg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 am

The wages of general staff are covered before the income roll. However, for a castle, that would mean just about enough guards to man the gates and have a lookout. But you also have to pay maintenance from that.

What you also have to remember though is that you only get income from a building if it is used commercially. So if the King was paying the castellan/lord to guard the border, that would be income. If the castle is owned, then maintenance must be paid but the castle itself will not produce income.
Generally, if the heroes are lords, you would then have a nearby village (say a grade 10 Land holding). This would produce income, and once maintenance is paid on that, profits then go to pay for the castle maintenance. You may then need a couple of villages, plus a mine and logging forest to actually pay for a castle and garrison.

Also, 640 income sounds like a lot, but a grade 10 costs 8,000gc to buy outright...
Slloyd14
Site Admin

Postby Slloyd14 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:51 pm

bottg wrote:The wages of general staff are covered before the income roll. However, for a castle, that would mean just about enough guards to man the gates and have a lookout. But you also have to pay maintenance from that.

What you also have to remember though is that you only get income from a building if it is used commercially. So if the King was paying the castellan/lord to guard the border, that would be income. If the castle is owned, then maintenance must be paid but the castle itself will not produce income.
Generally, if the heroes are lords, you would then have a nearby village (say a grade 10 Land holding). This would produce income, and once maintenance is paid on that, profits then go to pay for the castle maintenance. You may then need a couple of villages, plus a mine and logging forest to actually pay for a castle and garrison.

Also, 640 income sounds like a lot, but a grade 10 costs 8,000gc to buy outright...

Thanks!
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”