The Ciarensian Campaign

Andrew Wright

The Ciarensian Campaign

Postby Andrew Wright » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:39 am

Ciarensia
A Campaign in the Southern Lands
“Hopeless hope hopes on and meets no end,
Wastes without springs and homes without a friend.” (Clare, 1820)

Allansia copy.jpg
Allansia copy.jpg (115.57 KiB) Viewed 473 times

A MANIFESTO

We were living in a small community, on a marginal land between the mangrove-strewn edge of the Red Sea and a baking plain that stretched to distant pale hills upon the horizon. My friends wanted me to run an RPG campaign. We were bored, and had far too much time on our hands. I stalled for a year, maybe two, maybe more. By then, I’d started writing more RPG product, getting in a groove of sorts, and thought “Why not?” At the very least, I could DM a campaign for the very system I was writing for.

Once that choice was made, the next were “What?” and “Where?” Given I was writing for Arion Games’ second edition of the old gonzo British classic, Advanced Fighting Fantasy, that became the default system, and the setting was then obviously going to be the wide and dangerous lands of Titan, the world of Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. Narrowing it down further though was where things got tricky.

After some deep thought, and despite the awesomeness of the Kakhabad-based Crown of Kings campaign, I decided on the original continent of Allansia, and once that choice was made, the next logical step was to set everything where it first began, in the north-western corner, in the lands known as Old Allansia, or the Teeming Plains. There needed to be a further narrowing of scope though, and it was quickly apparent I still had some decision-making to do.

There was certainly plenty of new Advanced Fighting Fantasy material around if I wanted to use it. The Blacksand sourcebook contained a wealth of information to use this legendary city location as both a base and source of adventures. Brett Schofield’s conversion of The Warlock of Firetop Mountain likewise offered scope for many adventures and several small neighbouring villages as sanctuaries.

However, in the end, I went with something else. I decided I wanted to develop a less well-trodden location, where there were disparate scraps of information, but no over-arching theme. Hence I chose the dusty borderlands, where southern Allansia meets the Desert of Skulls. There had been works set here: Temple of Terror, Dungeon of Justice, Island of the Lizard King (at the start, where it all began at Oyster Bay), The Trolltooth Wars (where they visited the city of Shazâar). The threads were waiting to be gathered together.

And so, in a rugged outland that resembled the harsh wastes in which we actually resided in real life, the Ciarensian Campaign began…

DESIGN NOTES

The Ciarensian Campaign is an ever-growing, ever-expanding series of adventures set in southern ‘Old Allansia’. It is designed for a beginning party of adventurers, and features a series of villages and settlements as initial bases of operations, plus many surrounding ruins and dungeon complexes to explore, detailed lists of regional factions present in the area, location-specific encounter tables for both creatures and herbs, and a map of the overall area. Enjoy the adventures within, and may your STAMINA never fail!

REGIONAL OVERVIEW

The southern province of Ciarensia was once part of the old kingdom of Allansia that existed before the War of the Wizards. What follows is a regional overview looking at its geography, history and current political state.

Geography

The former province of Ciarensia covers the area currently known as the Southern Plain. To north it is bounded by the Whitewater River and to the south it disappears into the trackless depths of the Desert of Skulls. The sun sets over the Western Ocean washing upon rocky shores in that direction, and to the east it borders the dew-clad Vale of the Willow from whence the dawn arises. The main feature of the area is that it is largely featureless, unrelentingly flat, whose hazy horizon is broken only occasionally by rocky outcrops, small settlements, and the odd grove of T’annum Trees. In the north, along the banks of the Whitewater River, the plains are grassier, and dotted with farms and holdings taking advantage of the rich soil. Further south, it is more barren, both rockier and dustier, with thickets of Firebush and other thorny plants clumped around the few available sources of water. Beyond this we have entered the Desert of Skulls proper, whose stony wastes in the west gradually give way to wave upon wave of endless sandy dunes, finally breaking upon the uplands of the Craggen Heights in the east. Vegetation here is almost non-existent and limited to various types of spiny cacti, such as Barbthorn and Green Spikeballs.

Weather-wise, the summers are hot, with shimmering blue skies and the blazing sun beating down upon all from high above. Fall is a time of windy sand storms blowing clouds of detritus across the lands, cloaking everything in a fine layer of topsoil, and occasional bursts of rain that turn the surroundings into a muddy mess. Winter is still warmer than the rest of this corner of Allansia, during the day at least, with a dusty haze covering the horizon, but at night temperatures drop to extremely cold levels. Spring brings storm clouds and sudden showers, flooding the rocky gullies and turning the wilderness into a green carpet of flowering plants and herbs.

Aside from small villages, hamlets and farms in the northern areas, signs of human habitation are few and infrequent. A dusty and rarely used trail heads inland from Oyster Bay towards Shazâar, in parts using an even older paved road that dates from before the War of the Wizards. Most travellers prefer to use the Whitewater River, punting both downstream and also upstream on boats to Salamonis and the Vale of the Willow. At several points there are bridges, fords, and ferries across the river, leading north to cities such as Silverton and Chalice. At Shazâar, there are further roads east to Salamonis, as well as south-east, following a lonely path through and around the foothills of the Craggen Heights until it finally arrives at the distant stronghold of Warpstone. Finally, several trails lead south through the Desert of Skulls, reputedly to the lost city of Vatos, as well as the Arantian mining colony known as Sapphire City, which lies on the far side of the desert’s sandy dunes.
Lorian
Knight

Re: The Ciarensian Campaign

Postby Lorian » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:46 am

Wow!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Love it!
My games were mostly based in Arantis (see Rimon gazetteer, that will be followed sooner or later by Halak, Kaynlesh-Ma and... also Shazâar)
Hopefully our adventures will prove to be compatible enough to be able to exchange our material! :)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Andrew Wright

Postby Andrew Wright » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:39 am

History
The history of the Ciarensian region can be described in four distinct stages: the ancient Irritarian Time of Heroes, the rise of civilization and the Age of Wizards that followed the Splitting of the Lands, the great War of the Wizards and the aftermath of that sorcerous cataclysm, and the New Age, After Chaos, which brings us to where we are now in 284 AC.

The Irritarian Time of Heroes
Back when the three continents were united as the lone supercontinent of Irritaria, this region was a dusty rocky wasteland, blocked to the north and east by the immense One Forest. As such it fell under the influence of the small desert kingdom of Djarat to the south, whose leaders established outposts and settlements here and there in the wastes, as bases from which to subjugate the local barbarian tribes. Because of this, Djaratian language and culture spread far and wide throughout this region, and its influence can still be seen today in the broken pyramids and rock tombs that dot the Desert of Skulls, inscribed with the hieroglyphic symbols that make up the Djaratian script.

Also at this time, the coastal region south of the One Forest was a very pleasant area of gentle hills and valleys, teeming with tribes of Orcs who lived off the land. This was also the end point of the heroic nomadic migration of the human Halfhand chieftains, Rerek and Myzar, who had led their tribes for over two thousand leagues from what is now central Khul. What followed was a predictable epic of carnage between the Orc warriors and the human nomads, where the latter forcibly drove the former from their ancestral lands. While this event spawned numerous epics such as the ancient folk-poem Riding With Halfhand, it produced other tales too. One such was the legend of Ruritag Half-Orc, allegedly the first Man-Orc on Titan and product of a doomed tragic love story between an Orcish warrior-princess and the son of a human nomad under-chief.

Eventually the gods grew angry at the actions of the evil maritime Atlantean Empire to the west, and its vassal-states such as Kelios and Djarat, which at the time was held in thrall by the tyranny of its mad king Akharis, a worshipper of the Demon Lord Sith. The continent of Irritaria was torn asunder, the One Forest burned, and this region started to become the barren plains and scorching desert that it is today. Djarat was destroyed, though it would inspire successor states, and a few ragged tribes of Orcs hid in the western hills on the coast. The nomads adapted to the desert, or fled east, to the Flatlands.

The Rise of Civilization and the Age of Wizards
Following the devastation of the Splitting Lands, this region, like the rest of Titan, began the slow crawl back to civilization. Complicating things however, was the rise of the Caarth, the dreaded Snake People of the southern sand-dunes. They had not been present on Titan during Irritarian times, but instead were placed here by the Demon Lord Sith during the confusion of the Splitting. In the baking expanse of the Desert of Skulls they made their home, attacking all others in a relentless quest for power and domination. The last of the human settlements to be destroyed by the Caarth was the long lost city of Vatos.

In the aftermath of the Splitting, some semblances of Djaratian culture remained in the region and remodeled themselves into an endless succession of small squabbling lands and cities, dotted about the margins of the desert and its criss-crossing caravan trails. Vatos was the last and most powerful of these, a city growing up around a series of oases in the northern reaches of the desert, controlling the trade routes between the kingdom of Allansia to the north, and the strange southern nation of Arantis. Lasting for many centuries, Vatos eventually succumbed to unrelenting series of attacks by the Caarth armies, not too long before the second major global conflagration that would be known elsewhere in Allansia as the War of the Wizards but here in this corner of the land as the Burning of Ciarensia.

Ciarensia was the southern-most province of the Allansian kingdom, occupying the narrow strip of arable land south of the Whitewater River. It was not fully independent, like the kingdom of Salamonis, which it bordered in the east, but it was afforded more agency by the Allansian capital of Carsepolis owing to the trading riches generated by its two cities, Cutsilver and Balkash. Balkash was a prosperous port, south of what is now Oyster Bay, ferrying trade from Carsepolis itself further south to Arantis. Cutsilver was another oasis town, in the middle of the baking plains, trading with both Vatos to the south and Salamonis to the east. Both of these cities were fine stone-walled settlements, however, during the War of the Wizards all of this apparent prosperity would be completely destroyed.

This was the age of wizards, and of knowledge. Influences from Yore to the east meant that both cities had wizard academies, training up magi and sorcerers from promising apprentices. Like Carsepolis, the language of instruction here was Ancient Allansian, and inscriptions in this tongue can be found all over the ruins of Cutsilver and Balkash today. Further south, Vatos, before its destruction, had developed its own language and script, Vatosian, which was both a derivation and a simplification of the old Djaratian language on which it was based. Scholars and adventurers thus exploring the varied ruins of Ciarensia and its environs have to be well-versed in several ancient tongues if they are to make any sense of the stone tablets and inscribed cenotaphs they may find.
Andrew Wright

Postby Andrew Wright » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:44 am

Nuvole! wrote:Love it!
My games were mostly based in Arantis (see Rimon gazetteer, that will be followed sooner or later by Halak, Kaynlesh-Ma and... also Shazâar)
Hopefully our adventures will prove to be compatible enough to be able to exchange our material! :)

Awesome! I think my adventurers will be starting in Oyster Bay, before poking around some ruins in the vicinity. Shazâar would be definitely somewhere they would want to go and spend their hard-earning Gold Pieces because I don't think there's that much to do in Oyster Bay!

I've read your Rimon gazetteer and really like it, and look forward to your other developments. :)
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:56 am

Does this mean that i should bring near the top of the list my gazetteer of the City of Madness and at least share with you some advanced drafts? I hope you won't move forward too fast... :roll:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:37 am

Can't wait to send my heroes here!
shintokamikaze
Knight

Postby shintokamikaze » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Sounds amazing
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 am

By the way, Stuart's Meraki is not far from Oyster Bay, if I remember well... 8)
Andrew Wright

Postby Andrew Wright » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 am

[Thanks for the Meraki tip - I'll check that and other AFF adventures out]

The War of the Wizards and the Burning of Ciarensia
The main events of the War of the Wizards in Allansia are well-known. A Chaos horde erupted out of the Icefinger Mountains and destroyed the ancient kingdoms of Gar-Goldoran and Allansia, and razed their respective capital cities Goldoran and Carsepolis, before being slaughtered by an allied force of Dwarfs and Elves sent to relieve the human defenders at the final Siege of Carsepolis.

Less well known is that there were other conflicts at that time, involving other forces of Chaos clashing with the smaller kingdoms and nations. In these southern lands, a dread host of evil creatures slithered out of the Craggen Heights, intent on pillage and destruction. Led by a powerful warlord on an iron chariot, they avoided the Forest of Yore and Salamonis and instead headed west towards Ciarensia, and its cities of Balkash and Cutsilver. These cities, forewarned by their mage guilds and wizard academies, raised a joint army led by their twelve most powerful warriors and sorcerers, and marched out to battle the Chaos creatures on the plains east of Cutsilver. But it was not enough.

The Chaos warlord had made demonic pacts with the lords of the Pit, and his forces were too strong for the allied armies of Ciarensia. He personally slew all the heroes of the cities in single combat, binding their souls in a chain of skulls around his neck, creating the powerful artefect now known as the Twelve Images of Ciarensia. Thus began the Burning of Ciarensia as the Chaos horde tore both Cutsilver and Balkash apart. The creatures of Evil were then about to pounce on the long lines of refugees desperately attempting to flee from the devastation. However, the Grand Wizard of Yore and a contingent of Salamonian knights arrived just in time, having been delayed by their own battle against the main Chaos Horde in Trolltooth Pass.

The Grand Wizard succeeded where the heroes had not, and slew the Chaos warlord in a sorcerous duel that wracked the land with crackling magical energy, while the knights destroyed the now-leaderless Chaos rabble. Some of the refugees settled in small villages on or near the coast, as their cities were too tainted with Chaos to rebuild, while the majority of them travelled back east with the Salamonian army, founding a new city at an oasis called Shazâar.

The New Age After Chaos
In this New Age, as civilization has attempted to rebuild itself once again from global destruction, progress has been slow. On the coast there are a few small fishing villages such as Oyster Bay, but they do suffer the ravages of both Lizard Men slavers from Fire Island and scurvy pirates from the Skull Coast further south. Heading inland, Shazâar is now a thriving place, though its people appear somewhat addled from their inherited trauma, and not for nothing is it known as the City of Madness. Strange cults and exotic sects flourish in its dusty streets, while darker rumours hint of Chaos Mutants, born from the taint of the War of the Wizards, who lurk in the hidden corners of the city.

Surprisingly, in the Desert of Skulls, there are rumours that Vatos is being rebuilt under a mysterious High Priestess known as Leesha. Apparently having entered into an alliance with the Caarth, she controls an army of slave warriors and several priesthoods devoted to dark and depraved gods. Even more bizarrely, she is patron of a yearly competition, where starving artists make the dangerous trek through the dunes to the ruined city to create a masterpiece that will enable them to win the grand prize of three hundred Gold Pieces. Needless to say in such a den of debauchery, the losers are all executed – sacrificed in honour of the Dark One.

Finally, the Chaos warlord who destroyed these lands nearly three centuries ago has been reborn as a Prince of Undead, the Doom Demon, a skeletal harbinger who rides a flaming chariot drawn by a two-headed Devil Dog, hunting for victims whose souls he steals for his evil masters in the Pit. During the day he resides in his Castle of Black Steel, on the fiery edge of Hell, riding out only at night-time, crossing the magical Planes to arrive in the wastelands of Ciarensia, terrorizing the populace once again with the tread of his chariot’s iron wheels.

Politics
The political situation in this region is both diverse and rudimentary. The main entity is the city-state of Shazâar, a Barony ruled by Lord Tanneth, that sits on the site of an old oasis on the road between the coast and Salamonis, and whose people were originally refugees from the destroyed cities of Cutsilver and Balkash. The agents of Lord Tanneth extract minimal annual tribute from the various small villages and hamlets in the area, such as Oyster Bay, but for the most part each village is a tight-knit independent settlement usually ruled by a hereditary head-man or woman. Many other factions are present however, and what follows is a look at the various powers-that-be in the area, that will likely have lively interactions with adventurers during the campaign.

These factions can be further split into various groups, such as human political and mercantile units, non-human tribes and chiefdoms, religious orders and cults (which may be human or otherwise), and powerful monsters with their own servants and followers.
Andrew Wright

Postby Andrew Wright » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 am

Human Factions

Shazâar Rangers
Under the control of Lord Tanneth of Shazâar are forces totaling two hundred soldiers, a four hundred strong part-time militia, around one hundred and fifty town guards, and fifty elite Shazâar Rangers. The latter are most likely to be encountered away from the city, either on official business for their lord, such as accompanying officials who are tax-collecting or census-taking, or on routine patrols to ensure the safety of the caravan trails on whose wealth Shazâar depends. From time to time they may also undergo clandestine missions to root out pockets of Chaos and Evil that are deemed a threat to the future of their city-state.

Shazâar Rangers are experienced soldiers, armed with swords, spears and longbows, clad in chainmail armour, and usually mounted on horses for rapid travel across the plains. A Ranger is typically clad in a grey or brown cloak and the device on their shield is eight red arrows radiating from a central point upon a grey field. As natives of the City of Madness they are also followers of one of the weird sects that hold sway in that town; roll a die on the table below for each Ranger to determine their cult allegiance.

Roll Cult Allegiance and Sphere of Influence Notes
    1 Osmani, God of Mercenaries: Has Greatsword as a weapon
    2 Fourga, God of Pride: Body is dyed black or dark grey
    3 Logaan, The Trickster: Have no money
    4 Sindla, Goddess of Luck: Use dice to make decisions
    5 Telak, God of Courage: Hair is dyed gold
    6 Hamaskis, God of Learning: Tattooed with holy scripts

SHAZÂAR RANGER
SKILL: 8
STAMINA: 12
WEAPON: Sword, Spear or Longbow
ARMOUR: Chainmail Cuirass and Small Shield
NUMBER ENCOUNTERED: 2-7
REACTION: Neutral

Riding Horses (SKILL 7 STAMINA 9, Hooves (as per Large Claw)
Andrew Wright

Postby Andrew Wright » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:43 am

Desert Nomads
(Abridged and expanded from Beyond the Pit (p. 96))

Some historians say that all NOMADS are descended from the Halfhand brothers, those legendary chieftains who cut a bloody swathe through the steppes and plains of Irritaria, the First Continent. When Irritaria was torn asunder into Allansia, Khul and the Old World, the Nomads settled widely among the flatlands and the deserts, their lifestyle unchanging and ever wandering. They are famous for their riding ability, whether their steeds be camels or horses, and are experts at performing all kinds of tasks while on the move, from shooting arrows to patching tents. Nomads are usually armed with spears, curved sabres, and short bows, using lacquered leather armour for protection along with small shields. They may be encountered as bands of one to six hunters or scouts, or more rarely, a settlement of tents and tethered riding animals with four to twenty four warriors (both male and female) and the same number of non-combatants, including the elderly, children and slaves. Aside from this however, they vary greatly depending on their chosen homeland.

Desert Nomads ride both camels and horses, and are found in arid, barren wastes. In Allansia this means the Desert of Skulls, where the Nomads eke out a living by roaming the desert’s fringe and trading camel-hides and more precious goods with towns like Shazâar, where the townfolk call them Sand Trackers. They wear yellow or white robes and follow holy men known as sufi, who worship the Sand God Assamarra. Nomads from the Desert of Skulls are famous for hunting Giant Sandworms by camel-back, using barbed harpoons to slay the gargantuan beasts. A dead Sandworm will prove a great boon to the Nomads, for the meat is edible, the thick skin is used to craft sturdy tents, and the teeth make excellent ivory daggers.

There are several different tribes of Desert Nomads in the vicinity of Ciarensia and the northern fringes of the Desert of Skulls. The tribes depend on trade and Sandworm-hunting for their livelihood and take a dim view of banditry and raiding. As a result, their code of honour demands that hospitality and generosity must be shown to every guest, regardless of creed. These rules apply to some non-humans, such as Black Elves or Desert Elves, but not to others, like Felinaurs, Centaurs, Rhino-Men and the hated Caarth. They are thus not averse to attacking these latter races if the opportunity permits. Some of the tribes of Desert Nomads are named on the following table (which can be rolled upon to determine which tribe an adventuring party of Heroes has encountered):

Roll Tribe & Translation
1 Ab Shumus: Children of the Sun
2 Yunfakir: Riders of the Wind
3 Al Sahra: Lords of the Desert
4 Al Jamajim: Leavers of Skulls
5 Abu Katib: Masters of the Dunes
6 Al Ramal : Trackers of the Sands

DESERT NOMAD

SKILL: 8
STAMINA: 7
WEAPON: Sabre (as per Sword), Spear or Short Bow
ARMOUR: Leather Cuirass and Small Shield
NUMBER ENCOUNTERED: 1-6 or 4-24
REACTION: Neutral

Riding either Horses (SKILL 7 STAMINA 9, Hooves (as per Large Claw) or Camels (SKILL 7 STAMINA 8, Hooves (as per Large Claw)
Lorian
Knight

Postby Lorian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:53 am

Wow! So much information!
Robb 1
Knight

Postby Robb 1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm

This is Amazing 8)
Andrew Wright

Postby Andrew Wright » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:58 pm

The Cult of the Spider God
This region of Allansia has long been a centre of worship for Arhallogen the Spider God. His cult was strongest in ancient Djaratian times, and its successor states such as Vatos, and spread to the natives of the southern jungles as well as to more cultured lands such as Arantis and the city-states of the Glimmering Sea. Here it exists as an underground sect, no doubt owing its practice of sacrificing unbelievers by feeding them to packs of Giant Spiders! The influence of Arhallogen is strong in non-human form as well, from the dual races of Spider Men and Spider Kings to the foul demonic creatures such as Death Spiders and Ishkarim.

In Ciarensia, the Cult of the Spider God is largely confined to Shazâar, where it exists in the shadows as one of the more powerful of the forbidden sects, though bands of worshippers may be out there in the wastes, clustering around an old ruined shrine dedicated to Arhallogen. Cultists are usually clad in thick cloaks often cut to resemble an eight-legged spider, and wield poisoned daggers in combat. Their skin is tattooed with spider-like designs in red and black ink, and some sharpen their teeth into fangs. The head of the cult will be a priest of Arhallogen (see Advanced Fighting Fantasy, p. 97), and there will also be Giant Spiders and other arachnoid monsters present as guardians and attack-creatures.

CULTIST OF THE SPIDER GOD
SKILL: 6
STAMINA: 6
WEAPON: Poisoned Dagger (does 4 STAMINA damage)
ARMOUR: None
NUMBER ENCOUNTERED: 3-18
REACTION: Hostile

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”