Cost of Living

HedgeWizard

Cost of Living

Postby HedgeWizard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:43 pm

Hello everyone,

My first post so I first of all thank you for reviving a key part of my childhood and for all the further developments!

As a solo player (combining with Mythic) I've been struggling a bit with the prices and economics of AFF. Tracking the daily cost of food, lodgings, clothing etc is a bit of a headache when you are doing everything yourself. Also no matter if you are a knight or a pesant you are paying the same amount for your day to day needs which strikes me as odd.

My solution to these two issues is to replace all basic needs (I.e. Basic clothing, food, lodging) as well as the necessary additional costs in line with your status (e.g. Better/worse food, additional sets of clothing, gambling, getting the inn's servants to carry your bags etc.) as a combined cost of living.

Cost of Living = 1gp per point of social level.

Can be paid per day, per week or per month depending on the scenario and situation (e.g. an adventurer passing through a village would pay on the day, a noble in their home town might send a man to settle their debts once a month...).

Anyone who fails to pay their full Cost of Living drops two social levels for twice the time which they did not pay. If they fail to pay again then they will drop two levels again until reaching zero. To regain their position they must pay twice their normal Cost of Living for the time which they did not pay.

Anyone who wishes to climb the social ladder by paying can have a higher social level by paying the Cost of Living squared AND passing a skill test. This test can be modified by any appropriate skills (Ettiquete, Con etc.). Just because you have the money doesn't mean you have good taste and know how to use it.

Anyone who pays less than 5sp per day suffers the negative stamina effect as detailed in the rules. Well unless they can get food by some other means when nobody else is looking.

Any other expenses (weapons, armour, mounts, bribes, domains, special clothing etc.) are on top of these daily costs.

Any thoughts?
HedgeWizard

Re: Cost of Living

Postby HedgeWizard » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Clarification Cost of Living = 1gp per point of social level per day. Payable daily, weekly or monthly depending on the situation.
Nuvole!
Hero

Re: Cost of Living

Postby Nuvole! » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 am

Sounds like a fair rule of thumb.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”