The ComeBack Inn, a Blackmoor campaign on RPoL

Nuvole!
Hero

The ComeBack Inn, a Blackmoor campaign on RPoL

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:09 pm

In case you are interested, I am running this campaign on RPoL (i.e. Role Play on Line) http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=70496&date=1512838697

It is a campaign in the classic fantasy setting of Blackmoor, run with AFF2 (with some minor house rules and adaptations to the specific setting) and made of a number of ofe-off adventures that can be played in different order. Some adventure can be run more than once for different groups and more than one adventure can be running at the same time for different groups.
As a player, you will join the game, then you can create your characters and join the specific dventures that you like.

Check it out!

PS I know that RPoL at first sight may look weird under graphsic and interface point of view, but usually after a short time people learn how to customize it for personal needs (in practice, remove everything that you don't need) and everything falls in its place.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Dupont
Knight

Re: The ComeBack Inn, a Blackmoor campaign on RPoL

Post by Dupont » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Not sure I've seen RPol before, what are its strong point for you over something like Roll20 etc? Does it handle all aspects of online gaming or do you use skype or something too?
"Bright the Hawk's flight on the empty sky"

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 am

It is a play by post that allows you having shared maps, character sheets, dice roller etc.
Being a play by post and not a live game, you don't skype etc. but just type in your move and roll dices in the dice roller and update your character sheet, then wait for the other players to do so. In my game I request at least one post a day, but other game have much slower or faster paces.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:12 pm

I have two sites that I use for PbF (Play by Forum). The biggest I use is RPGGeek, but I have also run and played in games on RPoL too. I like it, but nowhere near as much as the Geek.

Where RPoL does excel is the ability to have threads in your game viewable by only certain people.

So you would have an OOC and an IC thread that everyone playing can see.
If you then need to split the party you can have "Side-Quest for Ranger, Dwarf and Dragonborn" and another "Side-Quest for Hobbit, Elf and Human Mage". You assign each player to the relevant thread and they can only see their thread.

You can also do something similar but WITHIN a post. So you could very easily have something like this:

"Party group intro blurb here describing the scene and what everyone sees"

[Dwarf Sees this]"With your Dwarven eye for architecture you notice that the stonework here is finely crafted and actually you recognise the mason's mark as someone who loved secret passages!"

[Ranger Sees this]"Your keen Ranger hearing notices the low murmur of water from.... somewhere..... "

Obviously only the player indicated would see that text. They can also post things only for some other players to see too. So you can whisper to each other effectively.

Overall I find RPoL a bit .... soul-less. It doesn't have the friendship bonds the Geek has, however it does have some lovely features. And some not great ones. I recently had a game deleted because no one had posted to it for over a year. All that work gone from that site! I think I did a backup (literally a copy and paste of all text and images) but I need to find it. I think that behaviour - to delete such works is a bad bad thing. But hey ho.

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm

We tried his on Facebook once...
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Lorian wrote:We tried his on Facebook once...
*this
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm

The feature allowing you to run multiple adventures with different characters (and everyone can see only the right threads etc) is what I'm heavily using right now in this campaign.