House Rules: Sports Time!

HedgeWizard

House Rules: Sports Time!

Postby HedgeWizard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello,

I've been pondering for a long time about how to make some fun sports rules for my adventurers, either as an adventure in itself (championship) or as a break between jobs. Let me know what you think!

I tried making something like Bayes-ball but that didn't work so I've gone back to basics with something along the lines of American Football.

Rules:

Each team has 5 players and the game is split into rounds. Each round has one team attacking and one team defending. If you have less that 5 adventurers then the GM should give them an appropriate number of averagely capable players to make up the numbers.

The pitch is split into three zones: Near, Middle, Far. The Attacking team scores one point if they can get the ball past the Far zone.

The defender notes which zones their 5 players are positioned in and can put them in any order. The attacker notes down the actions of their players. They can either be the thrower or be told to run to a zone and either block or catch, if they catch they may attempt to run the rest of the pitch. If an attacker attempts to block and there are no defenders in that zone then they will continue to the next zone and attempt to block there.

Work through each zone in turn starting at the near zone, the defenders must first defeat any attackers blocking in that zone before attempting to block someone running or catching in that zone. Once all actions have been completed in a zone continue to the next until a point has been scored or a catch failed or a player with the ball is successfully blocked.

Blocking is conducted as a one round combat with the following scores used:

Defender blocking = Skill + Brawl
Attacker blocking = Skill + Brawl
Attacker running = Skill + Dodge
Attacker catching = Skill

The loser of the block takes damage as if hit by an unarmed opponent and uses an armour roll as if wearing a leather hauberk. If a player takes damage equal or excising half their Stamina score then they will leave the match (this isn't meant to be life or death!).

If a player attempting a catch has not been blocked then the thrower can throw to them performing an unopposed roll on Skill + Thrown. If passed it is assumed that the receiving player caught it. Throwing to the Middle Zone has a -2 modifier and throwing to the Far Zone has a -4 modifier.

Once a round is completed then swap sides with the defenders becoming attackers and vice-versa.

Go through a predetermined number of rounds and then the team with the highest number of points is the winner.

Each player gets their Skill + most important skill for the match multiplied by the number of points scored by their team in GP as a reward. In a draw the number of GP is also divided by half to avoid players fixing a match.
Nuvole!
Hero

Re: House Rules: Sports Time!

Postby Nuvole! » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Wow! I can see this topic potentially grow arms and legs!

As far as I remember, in The City of Thieves there is a game called Bays ball :roll: that may perhaps be recreated in a RPG game as well.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
HedgeWizard

Postby HedgeWizard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:52 pm

I hope so! :-D

It's been decades since I read that one so I'd forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder! Wonder if anyone else has been having ideas on this as well.

I was also thinking that players can try cheating by using magic (some of the minor magic could be really useful like Hold) and other appropriate skills to try and get an advantage. But this should have the appropriate risk of getting caught and then kicked off the pitch!
HedgeWizard

Postby HedgeWizard » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:55 pm

I've been having some fun with this so without further a-do I present to you the wonderful gentleman's game of Brugga!
Brugga page 1.JPG
Brugga page 1.JPG (95.23 KiB) Viewed 71 times

Brugga page 2.JPG
Brugga page 2.JPG (82.3 KiB) Viewed 71 times

Brugga page 3.JPG
Brugga page 3.JPG (84.65 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Ruffnut
Hero

Postby Ruffnut » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Love it!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.
HedgeWizard

Postby HedgeWizard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks! For running teams (league play?) I might change the rules to align them with the Holdings rules in the Hero's compagnion. So that you start with The lowest level (I.e. Similer to a small very amateur team with a patch of scrubby grass for a pitch). You need to buy it and pay maintenance on top of the player costs.

As you progress you have the chance to pay to go up the organisation levels. The higher costs coming from nicer equipment, pitches, stands and paying for the ever inflating egos of your players. But you also get higher incomes and can play equivalent teams for higher prize money.
Nuvole!
Hero

Postby Nuvole! » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Next up could be Bays' Ball ;)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
HedgeWizard

Postby HedgeWizard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Nuvole! wrote:Next up could be Bays' Ball ;)

Already have my mind at work on that :-). It was fun designing Brugga so I'm more confident that I can make something to give that feeling of utter confusion while at the same time giving some ability to apply strategy.
drbargle

Postby drbargle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm

HedgeWizard wrote:I've been having some fun with this so without further a-do I present to you the wonderful gentleman's game of Brugga!

Not much to add except a 'thumbs up'!

Return to “Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2”