Special Skills
One Combat Skill At One Point
One Movement Or Stealth Skill At One Point
Jungle Lord
Animal Lore

One At Three
Two At Two
Five At One
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Re: Arrowhead Islands Gazetteer

Post by shintokamikaze » Thu May 31, 2018 8:33 pm

This is going to be epic, keep it up 8)

gloccus

Post by gloccus » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 am

I like what you've been doing here. In particular, I think that giving Wood Elves Hawkeye instead of Dark Seeing is more fitting, considering the background in the books. Apart from a throwaway line in FF28: Phantoms of Fear about how it's too dark for "even a Wood Elf" to see, I can't remember any suggestion that Elves (other than Dark Elves, who gained the ability after they started living underground) can see particularly well in the dark.
Ruffnut wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am
Dark Elves are not natives to the Arrowhead Islands, instead stranded here when Zustra The Pirate Queen’s invasion of the Arrowhead Islands backfired after conquering almost half the islands. As a result, all of the Dark Elves in the Arrowhead Islands once served in Queen Zustra’s fleet. Contrary to belief, Queen Zustra was also a Dark Elf, although since few have ever seen her and lived, she is presumed to be human by most people.
Since there hadn't been a major war in the Arrowhead Isles for two hundred years prior to FF43: Keep of the Lich Lord, does this mean that you're setting the book before 124AC, when Zustra invaded (or possibly after 324AC)? Or do you not consider conquering almost half the islands a major conflict?

An interesting take on it might be if Zustra were Mortis's piratical ally from the book and her invasion failed because the hero defeated him. I wonder whether that throws up any contradictions from other sources.

By the way, I notice that there are Amazons in the Arrowhead Isles. Perhaps Syrena of Kelados will find a home there after all!

Good luck with the Gazetteer.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:35 am

gloccus wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 am
I like what you've been doing here. In particular, I think that giving Wood Elves Hawkeye instead of Dark Seeing is more fitting, considering the background in the books. Apart from a throwaway line in FF28: Phantoms of Fear about how it's too dark for "even a Wood Elf" to see, I can't remember any suggestion that Elves (other than Dark Elves, who gained the ability after they started living underground) can see particularly well in the dark.
Ruffnut wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am
Dark Elves are not natives to the Arrowhead Islands, instead stranded here when Zustra The Pirate Queen’s invasion of the Arrowhead Islands backfired after conquering almost half the islands. As a result, all of the Dark Elves in the Arrowhead Islands once served in Queen Zustra’s fleet. Contrary to belief, Queen Zustra was also a Dark Elf, although since few have ever seen her and lived, she is presumed to be human by most people.
Since there hadn't been a major war in the Arrowhead Isles for two hundred years prior to FF43: Keep of the Lich Lord, does this mean that you're setting the book before 124AC, when Zustra invaded (or possibly after 324AC)? Or do you not consider conquering almost half the islands a major conflict?

An interesting take on it might be if Zustra were Mortis's piratical ally from the book and her invasion failed because the hero defeated him. I wonder whether that throws up any contradictions from other sources.

By the way, I notice that there are Amazons in the Arrowhead Isles. Perhaps Syrena of Kelados will find a home there after all!

Good luck with the Gazetteer.
I am setting it in the current year, and the bit about dark elves was just saying their origins, not what happened to them after the Invasion failed. They have now been on the Islands for centuries, and have whole family trees, although they are still considered an invasive species
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

gloccus

Post by gloccus » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 am

Ruffnut wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:35 am
I am setting it in the current year, and the bit about dark elves was just saying their origins, not what happened to them after the Invasion failed. They have now been on the Islands for centuries, and have whole family trees, although they are still considered an invasive species
So the "current year" for your gazetteer is around or after 324AC (centuries after Zustra's invasion)? That makes sense too.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:24 am

gloccus wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:43 am
Ruffnut wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:35 am
So the "current year" for your gazetteer is around or after 324AC (centuries after Zustra's invasion)? That makes sense too.
Yes it is set centuries after Zustra's invasion. This is so my players, who play in the current time, and so the Dark elves stranded by the invasion have now been here for centuries

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:37 am

Newt Lizard
Skill: 7
Large Bite
Large Claw (Tail)
Stamina: 18
Medium Monster
Attacks: 2

Special: If anybody is fighting it with a weapon shorter than a Shortsword, it gets a bonus attack which deals damage as per sword.

The Newt Lizard can grow up to 3 metres long and is a feared predator in the wild, because it's ribcage can puncture through specific spots on it's sides, which causes it no damage, yet is deadly to anybody who had gotten too close

Thanks to Jonathan Green for his twitter post suggesting that this creatures real life counterpart should be turned into a FF monster!