Mauristatian Gazteer

Lorian
Knight

Mauristatian Gazteer

Post by Lorian » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm

I am currently writing a Mauristatian Gazteer and I want to ask the AFF community to help me out by posting what they know about Mauristalia and what they would want to see included in it. Thanks in advance!
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Robb 1
Knight

Re: Mauristatian Gazteer

Post by Robb 1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 pm

if memory serves me well isnt crypt of the vampire, revenge of the vampire and howl of the werewolf set in mauristatia? .

Also in the warlock magazine not sure which number but will check have a board game/ role play adventure set in jungles between mauristatia and the badu bak plains from sorcery? where many of the ape type creatures and from ootp and btp were first introduced

Maybe mauristatia is on a plateau surrounded by jungle but is an isolated culture similar to the gothic horror setting as seen in these books and the hammer and the black and white universal horror films of Boris Karlof bella lugosi and vincent price. dark forests looming castles and lots of the children of the night. :lol:

just a thought

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:45 am

I'll have to check the warlock magazine somehow! I own copies of vault and howl and have been heavily drawing on them for sources.

TheoOfSilverton

Post by TheoOfSilverton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm

I stumbled across PDF versions of the entire run of Warlock magazine online somewhere a year or two ago..

It's probably still out there...
In a time of fear and confusion, silence charging the air
The sunlight is gone, darkness lives on, in the heart of the dragon's lair

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:34 pm

when I get chance will check out my copies and let you know which number it was in. Of the top of my head i think it was either Warlock3 or 4 but i could be wrong. D and D Ravenloft stuff might be handy for ideas too. :D

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm

some of the older White Dwarfs might also be good for ideas especially the ones that featured different games sysems back in days of yore

TheoOfSilverton

Post by TheoOfSilverton » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:05 pm

The Warlock archive is still around...

annarchive.com/warlock.html
In a time of fear and confusion, silence charging the air
The sunlight is gone, darkness lives on, in the heart of the dragon's lair

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 pm

The adventure was called in search of the Mungies gold just remembered its in Warlock edition 5 8)

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks!

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 am

Mauristatia will be part of the Old World Gazetteer already in Arion Games plans...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Nuvole! wrote:Mauristatia will be part of the Old World Gazetteer already in Arion Games plans...
Lorian tells me his will be much more in detail, like Titan and Blacksand
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Robb 1 wrote: Maybe mauristatia is on a plateau surrounded by jungle but is an isolated culture similar to the gothic horror setting as seen in these books and the hammer and the black and white universal horror films of Boris Karlof bella lugosi and vincent price. dark forests looming castles and lots of the children of the night. :lol:
Yes, Jungle-Transylvania! However, perhaps the jungle of the MUNGIES could be made a bit more temperate? More a damp swampy forest, which would naturally be prone to mists. A bit like 'bayou' country in the American south - see the film Southern Comfort for an example of how a group of PCs might have a pretty miserable adventure like the one I remember from Warlock! In fact, quite a bit of 'Southern Gothic' fiction could be used as both a geographical inspiration AND the to flesh out the concept of a decadent, depraved, decaying aristocracy built on the blood and bones of human beings.

So, what I'm saying is that, if I send my players' PCs to Mauristatia, it'll be the pre-Civil War Louisiana swamps done up in Hammer Horror/medieval fantasy dress. Now you've got me thinking about it...

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 pm

drbargle wrote: Yes, Jungle-Transylvania! However, perhaps the jungle of the MUNGIES could be made a bit more temperate? More a damp swampy forest, which would naturally be prone to mists. A bit like 'bayou' country in the American south - see the film Southern Comfort for an example of how a group of PCs might have a pretty miserable adventure like the one I remember from Warlock! In fact, quite a bit of 'Southern Gothic' fiction could be used as both a geographical inspiration AND the to flesh out the concept of a decadent, depraved, decaying aristocracy built on the blood and bones of human beings.

So, what I'm saying is that, if I send my players' PCs to Mauristatia, it'll be the pre-Civil War Louisiana swamps done up in Hammer Horror/medieval fantasy dress. Now you've got me thinking about it...
I like this idea and it does fit into some of my current work!
Right now the gazteer is quite scrappy and in no state to be viewed but soon it will take shape!

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:10 pm

perhapse add a few undertones of Deliverence too squeel like a Mungie boy :mrgreen: sorry couldn't resist it :lol: didnt the original Mungies gold end with the pcs having to fight eachothr to get a canoe toget the safely home as some form of wood worm ate their canoes whilst they were looking for the gold. A nice way to trap them in a Mauristatian setting of your choice and have them hunted through the swamp too

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:47 am

Is deliverance in a Fighting Fantazine?