Occupations

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Occupations

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:40 am

This is a new option for AFF2 character generation. Every player character has a past and that includes some sort of occupation that kept them fed before they took the path of the adventurer.

The occupation can be used just to add some extra background to the character, or it can be taken a little further and provide some of their initial Special Skills. This has some obvious similarities to the career system from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying. The difference is this only defines what the character has already done, it doesn't restrict what advances they can take after it's generated.

For now I’ve just done human City/Town and Village/Country occupations, but Elf and Dwarf occupations are on their way. Some of the occupations use names that are no longer in common use. I'm thinking of putting together descriptions of each one but until then a web search will explain anything unfamiliar.

You can download this from here now and I'll add it properly to my website later in the week. Any suggestions to improve it would be welcome.

[Updated link to latest file]
Last edited by SkinnyOrc on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

dcpchamber

Re: Occupations

Post by dcpchamber » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:49 pm

I liked it very much. The Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG has a nice random table to determine backgrounds, it is very fun. It also determine the starting possessions of the characters. Maybe you could check it out for some ideas.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Really like this! I'll be using this for players and NPCs which I meet randomly.

I've used the WFRP tables for occupation, background, description, names etc on numerous occasions for AFF. 1st edition (don't know 2nd edition and I'm not going to fork out the cash for it) remains the reference for giving detailed background to characters and a realistic economic system. I still enjoy looking through career descriptions.

For descriptions I now use a much simpler and faster 2d6 system but for the careers I'd not found an alternative until now.

This could also combine well with the alternative skills assignment (Geleos) which we developed separately.

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 pm

LOVE IT!!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 pm

HedgeWizard wrote:Really like this! I'll be using this for players and NPCs which I meet randomly.

I've used the WFRP tables for occupation, background, description, names etc on numerous occasions for AFF. 1st edition (don't know 2nd edition and I'm not going to fork out the cash for it) remains the reference for giving detailed background to characters and a realistic economic system. I still enjoy looking through career descriptions.

For descriptions I now use a much simpler and faster 2d6 system but for the careers I'd not found an alternative until now.

This could also combine well with the alternative skills assignment (Geleos) which we developed separately.
WFRP2 is very similar to WFRP1 if thats any help?

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:06 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:This is a new option for AFF2 character generation.
This is great. Are the people on this board aware that Kevin Dale posted a list of WFRP-based AFF careers on Google+? I'm sure some of you are - they assigned starting Special Skills and Equipment ('trappings'). Every time I come back to this board I am impressed by all the activity.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Come back more often! :)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Nuvole! wrote:Come back more often! :)
Well then I won't have all this good stuff saved up for me! But yeah, keeping places like this lively is very important. If people considering picking up AFF visit this forum, I hope they'd get the (correct) impression that there is a lively and active community.

[And with AFF, the level of system mastery required to make sensible, usable suggestions is so low that they can become an active participant shortly after they've finished reading the book!]

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:27 pm

drbargle wrote:
SkinnyOrc wrote:This is a new option for AFF2 character generation.
This is great. Are the people on this board aware that Kevin Dale posted a list of WFRP-based AFF careers on Google+? I'm sure some of you are - they assigned starting Special Skills and Equipment ('trappings'). Every time I come back to this board I am impressed by all the activity.
Are you able to post the link? Perhaps there are things which can be useful additions to the excellent work of SkinnyOrc

drbargle

Post by drbargle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:40 pm

HedgeWizard wrote:Are you able to post the link? Perhaps there are things which can be useful additions to the excellent work of SkinnyOrc
Took a little digging, but found it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_xML7 ... FJdGs/view

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks!

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Robb 1 wrote:
WFRP2 is very similar to WFRP1 if thats any help?
Thanks Robb! Yes that does help, I ow know that I don't need to shell out for a new rule book :-)

Lorian
Knight

Post by Lorian » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 pm

This has inspired me to make an occupations table for my Gazzteer
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Lorian wrote:This has inspired me to make an occupations table for my Gazzteer
Cannot wait to see it!
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 am

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement.
dcpchamber wrote:The Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG has a nice random table to determine backgrounds, it is very fun. It also determine the starting possessions of the characters. Maybe you could check it out for some ideas.
I definitely will, thanks.
drbargle wrote:Are the people on this board aware that Kevin Dale posted a list of WFRP-based AFF careers on Google+? I'm sure some of you are - they assigned starting Special Skills and Equipment ('trappings').
Well I am now :) That might have saved me some work but in a way it's always good to start clean slate. I'll see if I can squeeze anything to add out of it.

What I did was take the basic career list from WFRP 1, including a load of fan made ones, and removed some that didn't seem to make sense as starting occupations (who gets to be a bodyguard as their first job?). Then I went though changing things to match what I've picked up watching too much History Channel. The end result is hopefully distinctive from where it came from.