FEAR stat rules

Advanced Fighting Fantasy discussion
FarsightBlogger

FEAR stat rules

Post by FarsightBlogger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi all - there's something I'm working on that might benefit from a FEAR stat, much like the stat from House of Hell but without the instadeath!

It's for horror games and the initial idea i had works like this:

A - To generate your FEAR score, add SKILL and LUCK together, halve and drop fractions.
B - If the character encounters anything that would terrify them, roll 2D6 and score equal to or below the FEAR score.
C - If they fail, they lose 1 point of FEAR and suffer one of the effects below on a roll of 1D6:

1 - Frozen to the spot; cannot make any actions for 1D6 rounds, lose 1 point of SKILL and LUCK for a further 1D6 rounds
2 - Lose 1 point of SKILL for 1D6 rounds
3 - Lose 1 point of LUCK for 1D6 rounds
4 - Lose 1 point of SKILL and LUCK for 1D6 rounds
5 - Lose 2 points of SKILL and LUCK for 1D6 rounds
6 - Roll twice, ignore sixes but count a six as a roll

If, at any time, the FEAR score reaches 2, then the character also loses 1D6 STAMINA points per roll on the table and if they reach 0 they have been literally scared to death.

All FEAR points are recuperated at a rate of 1 per hour after they have left the vicinity of the terror.

Too harsh, perhaps?

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: FEAR stat rules

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm

How about an option where you run away in panic, rather than freezing?
I'm the real Nowhere man, sitting in my Nowhere land, making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

FarsightBlogger

Re: FEAR stat rules

Post by FarsightBlogger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Nuvole! wrote:How about an option where you run away in panic, rather than freezing?
I can replace 6 with this:

6 - Run away in a random direction to escape the terror, and you will fight anyone who attempts to stop you including party members.