FEAR stat rules

FarsightBlogger

FEAR stat rules

Post by FarsightBlogger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi all - there's something I'm working on that might benefit from a FEAR stat, much like the stat from House of Hell but without the instadeath!

It's for horror games and the initial idea i had works like this:

A - To generate your FEAR score, add SKILL and LUCK together, halve and drop fractions.
B - If the character encounters anything that would terrify them, roll 2D6 and score equal to or below the FEAR score.
C - If they fail, they lose 1 point of FEAR and suffer one of the effects below on a roll of 1D6:

1 - Frozen to the spot; cannot make any actions for 1D6 rounds, lose 1 point of SKILL and LUCK for a further 1D6 rounds
2 - Lose 1 point of SKILL for 1D6 rounds
3 - Lose 1 point of LUCK for 1D6 rounds
4 - Lose 1 point of SKILL and LUCK for 1D6 rounds
5 - Lose 2 points of SKILL and LUCK for 1D6 rounds
6 - Roll twice, ignore sixes but count a six as a roll

If, at any time, the FEAR score reaches 2, then the character also loses 1D6 STAMINA points per roll on the table and if they reach 0 they have been literally scared to death.

All FEAR points are recuperated at a rate of 1 per hour after they have left the vicinity of the terror.

Too harsh, perhaps?

Nuvole!
Hero

Re: FEAR stat rules

Post by Nuvole! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm

How about an option where you run away in panic, rather than freezing?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

FarsightBlogger

Re: FEAR stat rules

Post by FarsightBlogger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Nuvole! wrote:How about an option where you run away in panic, rather than freezing?
I can replace 6 with this:

6 - Run away in a random direction to escape the terror, and you will fight anyone who attempts to stop you including party members.