Bringing out your inner snob

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Bringing out your inner snob

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:45 pm

It has been written of the British that "The upper classes hate the lower classes, the Lower classes hate the upper classes, everyone hates the middle classes but not as much as they hate themselves." This is true but is only a shadow of how things are in Allancia. Most people in Titan are snobs and know exactly where they are in the social pecking order; and more importantly who is even slightly below them. The aim of these little suggestions is to allow players to unleash their inner snob and bring some good old class friction to interactions.

1. The impact of social scale on interactions.

When dealing with someone from a different social class it may be appropriate to include the difference of social class into the equation. When a character tries to persuade another character from a different social level then add a modifier of the difference between the social scales -1. Subtract the targets social scale from the pursuaders social scale.

This can also be applied when the player is trying to talk themselves into an event or location which is different to their class. A blacksmiths apprentice can try smiling all he likes, he ain't getting into the Court ball!

2. Living costs

Living costs per day equal social scale in GP (or SP if you are using the copper pieces rule).

If the players are somewhere with a limited number of establishments (a village, a specific quarter of a city) then living cost is equivalent to the usual social level of the area. Players with a higher social level are free to sniff in distaine at the conditions they must endure while poorer ones may end up homeless fast!

Living costs include all the necessary costs such as lodging, food, tips, low level gambling etc.

3. Clothing

The clothes make a man! Divide all original clothing costs by 2 and then multiply by the players social scale. This is the cost of clothing to fit their social standing.

Players with higher level social classes should also be expected to maintain several outfits for the right occasion or be able to get hold of replacements fast!

4. Living below your standing

If a player consistently skimps on clothing or lodging costs then the Director should start reducing their social level. Sluming it is acceptable now and again but none likes someone who's cheap!

Sorry it's a bit of an essay but let me know what you think!

Ruffnut
Hero

Re: Bringing out your inner snob

Post by Ruffnut » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:02 am

So my Lizardman player is supposed to go naked as the only free clothes are no clothes?
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Re: Bringing out your inner snob

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 am

Ruffnut wrote:So my Lizardman player is supposed to go naked as the only free clothes are no clothes?
I don't think Lizerdmen are really big on the wearing of clothes :-).

On a more serious note I assume that each player starts with a suitable outfit. If they loose them then they need to go shopping or cover themselves by some means or other.

Of course these are more focused on the civilised people... I don't think Goblins, Trolls etc really care that much.