How do you manage Tracking?

Nuvole!
Hero

How do you manage Tracking?

Post by Nuvole! » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:39 pm

In the list of Special Skills (unless I really missed something big and this would be a big blush on my side... :oops: ) Tracking (opponents, intelligent creatures... not animals) is not there.
There is Hunting, that may include tracking, but the description says, literally, that Hunting Special Skill "allows a Hero to find, stalk and trap prey animals in a natural environment". This description seems to be out of the scope of this topic as it mentions clearly "prey animals", so you couldn't use it to hunt even lions, eagles, wolves, snattacats etc.
Another option would be considering tracking under the scope of the Awareness tests (would Hunting be a bonus in this or not? just and Hawkeye?).

How do you manage this issue?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Re: How do you manage Tracking?

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:56 pm

When you hunt it doesn't matter if the animal you are hunting eats other animals as well. They are your prey.

I would say that hunting includes tracking of anything, if you've tracked and hunted wild boar or deer through a forest then tracking / hunting a person, troll or lion would not be that different. That's why they often use hunters to track most people in large wild areas.

JoeDuncan

Post by JoeDuncan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:40 pm

City Lore for the right city would help in tracking a target in an urban environment.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Depending on the creature and its intellect and how aware it is it's been tracked I give a target number to roll

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:03 pm

JoeDuncan wrote:City Lore for the right city would help in tracking a target in an urban environment.
I'd go as far as to say the appropriate terrain lore would help anywhere

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:43 pm

HedgeWizard wrote:
JoeDuncan wrote:City Lore for the right city would help in tracking a target in an urban environment.
I'd go as far as to say the appropriate terrain lore would help anywhere
Ditto
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:10 am

HedgeWizard wrote:I would say that hunting includes tracking of anything, if you've tracked and hunted wild boar or deer through a forest then tracking / hunting a person, troll or lion would not be that different. That's why they often use hunters to track most people in large wild areas.
I think it makes sense, but it is clearly not what the letter of the ruleset book says.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Nuvole!
Hero

Post by Nuvole! » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:51 pm

HedgeWizard wrote:When you hunt it doesn't matter if the animal you are hunting eats other animals as well. They are your prey.
So why the author wrote "prey animals" and not just "animals"? or "preys"?

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:27 pm

hunting could be used to cover this as noted.

if you don't like it I would use the appropriate terrain lore with awareness granting a bonus, versus the targets terrain lore with awareness granting them a bonus.

personally I use this in a lot of instances: player tracking NPC assassin through the woods
player has wood lore 2 and awareness 1
assassin has wood lore 3 and awareness 2

player rolls Skill plus 2 for wood lore and 1 for awareness, minus 5 (assassins total bonus) to be successful.
if player has Skill 7 their roll needs to be 5 or less due to the skill of their adversary.

the advantage of this over the opposing roll is they know how good they are, but no idea how good/bad their opponent is.
if they roll a 7 they may think they are successfully tracking the assassin....until it becomes clear they have lost them

the longer this takes the further away the assassin has got, although I wouldn't let this drag on too much, it should become apparent they have lost them when they find whatever they have been following instead!

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:47 pm

Eddie wrote:hunting could be used to cover this as noted.

if you don't like it I would use the appropriate terrain lore with awareness granting a bonus, versus the targets terrain lore with awareness granting them a bonus.

personally I use this in a lot of instances: player tracking NPC assassin through the woods
player has wood lore 2 and awareness 1
assassin has wood lore 3 and awareness 2

player rolls Skill plus 2 for wood lore and 1 for awareness, minus 5 (assassins total bonus) to be successful.
if player has Skill 7 their roll needs to be 5 or less due to the skill of their adversary.

the advantage of this over the opposing roll is they know how good they are, but no idea how good/bad their opponent is.
if they roll a 7 they may think they are successfully tracking the assassin....until it becomes clear they have lost them

the longer this takes the further away the assassin has got, although I wouldn't let this drag on too much, it should become apparent they have lost them when they find whatever they have been following instead!
I like this idea!

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Nuvole! wrote:
HedgeWizard wrote:When you hunt it doesn't matter if the animal you are hunting eats other animals as well. They are your prey.
So why the author wrote "prey animals" and not just "animals"? or "preys"?
True, but I always take rules as guidelines rather than absolutes :-)