bottg
Site Admin

A new (non-AFF) Arion Games Kickstarter

Post by bottg » Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Slloyd14
Site Admin

Re: A new (non-AFF) Arion Games Kickstarter

Post by Slloyd14 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:30 pm

i'm not authorised to view it but I did find it on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... viking-rpg
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun May 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Vikings! A lot of what's standard in sword and sorcery fantasy came from Scandinavian myth, it's great material. I don't really need another RPG but that's never stopped me.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Sun May 13, 2018 2:11 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 1:33 pm
Vikings! A lot of what's standard in sword and sorcery fantasy came from Scandinavian myth, it's great material. I don't really need another RPG but that's never stopped me.
Well...don't let me stop you backing it!!

Seriously though, there is a lot in the hundred pages or so, and it looks nice too.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun May 13, 2018 2:48 pm

I believe it, I was really impressed with the presentation in the Maelstrom Domesday book. Well written with great setting material too.

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:17 am

I backed this and so did a lot of other people, it's currently over 3 times the target! I got PDF only but I'm curious what the story is with print copies with them being print on demand. If you're paying for printing and shipping on top of the Kickstarter pledge what are you getting for the extra 4 pounds? Is it an advance on the book and comes off what you later pay?

I found it a bit off putting not knowing how much a physical book was going to cost me, especially with being so far away. But I can see the hassle it takes off you not needing to worry who wants softcover or hard or dealing with the printers and sorting out postage.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:34 pm

So if you back at just PDF you get just the pdf. If you then want to buy a soft/hardback copy at a later date you would have to pay full cost for it, plus postage. This would be the retail price. If you pay the extra few pounds on the kickstarter then you get the pdf and a "at-cost" dead tree copy (plus postage). So the print cost comes down - the Kickstarter says this should be approx £4 softcover or £7.50 hardcover.

I can easily prove its worth. The "human(ish)" Kickstarter meant that these were the costs for me on DriveThruRPG:

PDF £12.53
Softcover B&W Book £14.92
Hardcover B&W Book £18.65

PDF + Softcover B&W Book (Was £27.45) Now £14.92
PDF + Hardcover B&W Book (Was £31.18) Now £18.65

Quite the saving!

I hope that helps! :)

SkinnyOrc
Knight

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:15 am

Thanks for the info. Maybe another time the level description could say something like "This level will get you the pdf copy as above, but will also get you a code to enable you to order a print copy at cost price from RPGNow as soon as the printers have approved that". But I guess a lot of people are already familiar with POD Kickstarters and would assume it.

I need to be pretty keen on something to go past PDF because postage down-under is likely to be as much as the book. So I haven't tried any sort of POD yet. I guess I could pretend to buy some POD from DTRPG just to see what they cost all up, don't have to go through with it.