Generating New Place Names

JoeDuncan

Generating New Place Names

Post by JoeDuncan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:38 am

Hey guys, I've written a simple proper noun Markov chain word generator script in python which takes a sample corpus and then produces similar sounding proper nouns.

I've fed it with all the samples I could find in canon of Elvish, Dwarfish, Khulian and Kakhabadian, and had it produce 10 new examples of each. Guess which grouping is which, and tell me what you think:

GROUP 1
cork
djirkuk
kelm
arather
yigennik
gomragad
tarru
tamurun
djimar
talagomragalik

GROUP 2
elmirien
caegrain
elemas
teinath
heledilemal
durien
relas
malas
ereth
thillinan

GROUP 3
khabak
xampus
throseus
sharn
vlana
natantainta
gorrepanva
scharé
shartananti
xampantag

GROUP 4
naggin
varkie
wrangarthan
brakalazathan
harlago
akulbaradill
brumble
urkul
kalhane
drokkallin

Lorian
Knight

Re: Generating New Place Names

Post by Lorian » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 pm

I use tolkiens elvish for mine.
Life is merely a speck of dust on the beach of time...

Ruffnut
Hero

Post by Ruffnut » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:24 am

I like using latin
He just sits there tapping away all day on a tiny screen. But he tells everyone that he is slaying Orcs.

JoeDuncan

Post by JoeDuncan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Tolkien's elvish I can understand, it seems to be what most of the Elvish names from Titan are based on, but Latin?

There's only a handful of (mostly Allansian) places that sound latin (Carsepolis, Salamonis etc...)

Tolkien's elvish does seem a bit more "lyrical" than Titan's elvish though, there's quite a bit of overlap between Titan's Elvish and Dwarfish, with the result that Titan's Elvish sounds a bit "harsher" than Tolkien's.

Anyways, I wrote the program because I was horrified at Myridon's awful place and people names in their Sorcery! remakes.

I realized immediately there was a trivial way to make proper sounding Kakhabadian names (I mean other than just cribbing from Nepalese like SJ did).

I thought there'd be a BIT more interest in this, but oh well :(

If anyone IS interested in using it to help make their own place names, I am perfectly happy to share the script. It accepts any arbitrary list of words and then creates similar sounding words based on the letter/syllable frequencies/orders.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 am

Carsapolis and Salamonis are Greek not Latin ;).

In North West Allansia I use Greek for old town names and the. English for newer settlements. I also use Greek for ancient Allansian as discussed elsewhere.

For other areas I use the nearby names as a guide for the style of town names, for example in the north East of Allansia it’s going to be Scandinavian town names.

It’s been a bit quiet of late on the boards so don’t take the lack of responses as a personal slight.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 am

Okay I'll take a stab; Khulian, Elvish, Kakhabadian and Dwarfish? I especially like the Kakhabadian names. Do you have a web page you can put it on? I'd offer to add it to my online name generators but my freebie web hosting doesn't support CGI scripts.

JoeDuncan

Post by JoeDuncan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 pm

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 am
Okay I'll take a stab; Khulian, Elvish, Kakhabadian and Dwarfish? I especially like the Kakhabadian names. Do you have a web page you can put it on? I'd offer to add it to my online name generators but my freebie web hosting doesn't support CGI scripts.
Bang on!

Thanks!

I don't have a website to host it at the moment. It's written in Python, but I could re-do it as Javascript if you have a place to host it. Alternatively, I could post the source on Github; it's easy to run from the CLI.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:40 am

Definitely a web interface would let the most people use it. If you can get it working as Javascript I'd be happy to do a pretty web interface and host it with the ones I did (the link on my sig, under Tools). The down side is anyone can see your code by looking at the source of the web page but as long as you're okay with that.