simple initiative rules

shintokamikaze
Hero

simple initiative rules

Post by shintokamikaze » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:52 am

Simple rules for initiative that I have been using. Each player rolls one d6 and adds skill and awareness, the GM rolls one d6 for each monster and adds skill and each extra attack.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Re: simple initiative rules

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:47 am

Why do you feel you need a rule for initiative?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

shintokamikaze
Hero

Post by shintokamikaze » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:09 am

Nuvole! wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:47 am
Why do you feel you need a rule for initiative?
It makes things easier when I use terrain and minis or use roll 20. When you have ten tokers on the board things can get confusing.

Nuvole!
Archmage

Post by Nuvole! » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:05 pm

I see. I don't use minis (nor Roll20), so I don't use initiative.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land, making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 am

I'm not clear how you would use initiative roll results with the way the AFF combat round works. Maybe you should be able to tell who gets a missile or spell off first. But it makes no difference for hand to hand when the combatants are both attacking and defending each other at the same time, and over the whole length of the round.

In real life you wouldn't have one person swinging their sword once and then the other swinging theirs once in a 10 second round. It's going to be a series of blows and parries throughout the round, from both sides. So AFF2's melee system makes more sense than most. And if melee is lots of swings over the length of the round, who swings first doesn't matter.

With ranged combat, missiles always go first and then magic, before melee. For missiles, initiative only really matters if you shoot someone who's shooting. Then maybe you hit first and they die and don't get to attack. But most of the time they'll take the hit and shoot anyway. If you have spells being cast on both sides that have area effects you could have initiative that matters a lot, but again only if the first spell stops the second being cast.

Initiative seems like one of those things players have trouble letting go of, so it may be worth doing something just to keep them happy. You could just have people using missiles or magic rolling initiative, but even then the result won't always make a difference.