New Rules

Post Reply
Keith Fyans
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 pm

New Rules

Post by Keith Fyans » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:39 pm

Any info upon how has the game has been changed?

Ta,
Keith.

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Post by bottg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:46 pm

A few bits.

We have revamped Hero creation, such that starting characters are a bit more balanced.

We have completely re-written the priest rules

We have tweaked combat a bit, and added proper armour rules

We have added in Sorcery

Otherwise the rules have been revised and cleaned up a bit

Slloyd14
Site Admin
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:39 pm
Contact:

Post by Slloyd14 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Will there be any rules for converting 1st Edition heroes to 2nd edition heroes?

Will there be any characters from Fighting Fantasy?

I'm glad that you are revising the minor magic rules, the armour rules, the priest magic rules and the hero generation rules.

The difference between having a skill of 7 and having a skill of 12 was huge.

Also priests were just sorcerers with smaller spell lists and limitations to their actions. The priest magic and the sorcerer spell lists were too similar.

Also, as in most Fighting Fantasy, armour wasn't really done in depth.

I'm looking forward to it!
http://virtualfantasies.blogspot.com/

A blog about writing gamebooks. My musings on how to write a gamebook and what makes a good gamebook.

J
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Post by J » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:The difference between having a skill of 7 and having a skill of 12 was huge.
I think this was my groups biggest complaint about the original AFF rules. The difference between a character with a good Skill roll and a bad one was massive. If that is the only thing that has changed I'll still be happy with this new edition.

Looking at some of the changes that are being planned I definitely think this will be a big improvement, hopefully without making the system too much more complex. The simplicity of the Fighting Fantasy system is one of it's best points.

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Post by bottg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Slloyd14 wrote:Will there be any rules for converting 1st Edition heroes to 2nd edition heroes?

Will there be any characters from Fighting Fantasy?
We havn't included any conversion rules, because most Heroes should take about 60 seconds to convert. A talent will need to be added to the 1st Ed character. Wizards will need to have Magic points added, and a few spells have changed. Otherwise, they are almost the same.

We havn't put any classic Characters into this book.

Slloyd14 wrote: Also priests were just sorcerers with smaller spell lists and limitations to their actions. The priest magic and the sorcerer spell lists were too similar.
Again, Priests are totally different from Wizards now in feel and mechanically. I also never really liked the similarity.

Slloyd14 wrote: Also, as in most Fighting Fantasy, armour wasn't really done in depth.
The Armour rules now make it worthwhile, but not mandatory, to wear armour.

User avatar
bottg
Site Admin
Posts: 1260
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 pm

Post by bottg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:40 pm

J wrote:
Slloyd14 wrote:The difference between having a skill of 7 and having a skill of 12 was huge.
I think this was my groups biggest complaint about the original AFF rules. The difference between a character with a good Skill roll and a bad one was massive. If that is the only thing that has changed I'll still be happy with this new edition.

Looking at some of the changes that are being planned I definitely think this will be a big improvement, hopefully without making the system too much more complex. The simplicity of the Fighting Fantasy system is one of it's best points.
I agree that with a 2D6 mechanic, the difference was indeed massive. And it was compounded by the fact that a SKILL 12 character had 12 Special Skill points, whilst a SKILL 7 hero had only 7 Special Skill points.

Dr Magister
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Milton Keynes, UK
Contact:

Post by Dr Magister » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:58 pm

When I ran an (unintendedly) long AFF campaign, I ended up tweaking the rules anyway, and dividing Skill in Mental and Physical. I also gave wizards and priests Magic Points that they bought with Stamina at character creation (at a rate of 2 MP per stamina point sacrificed). I also gave everyone a flat 10 skill points to spend, to avoid the 7/12 problem.

The lack of armour rules always bothered me though so it's good to see those revised.

The similarity between priests and wizards though I never saw as an issue.

Seeing some stats for core NPCs (especially the three Star Pupils) would be awesome, and a revised Riddling Reaver would be excellent.

Post Reply