Deadly arrows optional rule

darksoul
Knight

Re: Deadly arrows optional rule

Post by darksoul » Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 am

HedgeWizard wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:38 pm
Great idea with making missile weapons more deadly, there is something off with the fact that you cannot kill more than a small dog with a single shot. You might want to be careful with how you apply it to the hero’s being shot, the chance of sudden death the moment you enter the fight is not what people are looking for in AFF.

Perhaps use one of these options when the hero’s are shooting and give enemies a little bonus when they are shooting (but without the sudden death).

Who knows perhaps throwing knives will cause more damage than a scratch on the cheek!

I think you've hit it on the head right here in your first paragraph. We need to be careful with how to apply this.

I've been going through the FF game books and archery/ranged attack situation usually ends up as a deadly result 75% of the time.

In the case of the outright kills the reader or enemy either
1. Doesn't have armour.
2. Isn't aware of the attack.
For example
You get killed by Blackhearts in Masks of Mayhem simply because he sees you in a tunnel and you don't see him and are not even aware of him. He feels like being malicious.
Sword of the Samurai lets you one-shot kill two guards at a gate (arrow to the eye. Neither knows you are there) in quick order before they can even sound the alarm.(This seems to infer two very quickly drawn and fired shots)
Sword of the Samurai lets you move in the shadows form building to building in an enemy base making one-shot kills so the soldiers aren't alerted. (none are aware of you. Seems the samurai has played some first person shooters. This makes for a pretty cool scene though.)
In Sword of the Samurai you are instantly killed by a thrown trident if you don't have armour. (You are aware of the enemy. A test of luck is needed and on a failure you are instantly killed.)

Situations where someone is being shot and not outright killed have the target
1. aware of the archer
2. the possibility of being shot(bot not their location)
These situations usually tell he reader "You can make X number of ranged attack before engaging into melee combat" or something to that degree.
Sword of the Samurai allows this option when you encounter a creature(despite letting you one-shot enemies before)
Master of Chaos does the same thing.
City of Thieves turns you into a pin cushion when several archers who are hidden from you all shoot you. (Roll a dice and then roll than many dice for damage)

Even when facing an archer/ranged attacker, the damage will vary. It can be 2 STAMINA loss or loss 1 SKILL point.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Wed May 22, 2019 3:14 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:39 am
As far as I can tell standard fantasy elves are based completely on Tolkien's elves, even if they're not always exactly the same as them. Way back I read some Norse myth and from what I remember elves varied a lot but were sometimes smiths who lived under the mountains. So I believe Tolkien took that mythology and made separate and distinct identities for elves and dwarves. I'm not aware of anyone doing that before him. I remember Gygax complained in Dragon Magazine that it wasn't true that LotR had much influence on D&D. But he certainly used standard fantasy elves and dwarves... and those had been defined by Tolkien.

So are shortbows described in LoTR? Tolkien's research for his fantasy world was his life's work, I'd expect he'd have known that shortbow in English just meant a normal sized bow of the same shape and construction as a longbow. The Titan elves largely fight and hunt in the forest where range isn't that much of an issue. So it'd make sense that many of their bows have shortbow draw weight (power).

As you say the elves would have very good bows, they're renowned craftsmen and archers. It's not that obvious what that means though. With a bow draw weight and range are linked, so you can't change a bows damage without changing its range. It'd also take more strength to draw which doesn't seem very elven. Superior arrows might get +1 to the damage roll though. I suggest elven bows (both shortbow and longbow) are lightweight and accurate with a plus to AS.
The book Titan says that elves are good archers because of their relationship with the trees of the forest. This relationship lets them use bows better.
I'm not sure about this next part, but I recall something in TItan saying that orcs or other evil creatures will pick up an elf's bow thinking it's magical only to find out that they can't use it as well as the elf.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 am

I'm segwaying slightly because I think we can discuss this on the same topic at the same time. The very first Fighting Fantasy multiplayer book(The one with the Were-tiger on the cover) has a dragon encounter in the second story and there was a small chart to roll on with the possibility of instant death.
The Dragon would target a player and roll on the chart with a 1 in 6 chance of instantly killing that player. Adding this to Dragons would make them really dangerous.

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 pm

darksoul wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:14 am
The book Titan says that elves are good archers because of their relationship with the trees of the forest. This relationship lets them use bows better.
I'm not sure about this next part, but I recall something in TItan saying that orcs or other evil creatures will pick up an elf's bow thinking it's magical only to find out that they can't use it as well as the elf.
It's good to have you and your Titan/FF knowledge back on board. :)

I found the passage (Titan page 55) and it says the bows are enchanted and attuned only to elvish minds. From the way elf bows are described they never miss in the hands of an elf. Which sounds like a pretty big bonus to AS, but you could say that was talking about the most enchanted bows in the hands of their best archers and they start at +1 AS. I suggest in my AFF Occupations doc (website on my sig) that the elves have Treeshapers who can guide trees to grow into useful shapes, so maybe that's part of how they're made.
darksoul wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 am
The very first Fighting Fantasy multiplayer book(The one with the Were-tiger on the cover) has a dragon encounter in the second story and there was a small chart to roll on with the possibility of instant death.
The Dragon would target a player and roll on the chart with a 1 in 6 chance of instantly killing that player. Adding this to Dragons would make them really dangerous.
It's an interesting example because it's AFF in it's first form, rather than from the solo FF gamebooks where you could argue occasional insta-death goes with the territory. I would like to see AFF2 dragon breath be more dangerous.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 am

SkinnyOrc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 pm
It's good to have you and your Titan/FF knowledge back on board. :)

I found the passage (Titan page 55) and it says the bows are enchanted and attuned only to elvish minds. From the way elf bows are described they never miss in the hands of an elf. Which sounds like a pretty big bonus to AS, but you could say that was talking about the most enchanted bows in the hands of their best archers and they start at +1 AS. I suggest in my AFF Occupations doc (website on my sig) that the elves have Treeshapers who can guide trees to grow into useful shapes, so maybe that's part of how they're made.
My friends all wanted to play D&D5e so I ran a long campaign for that for the longest while so I had to focus on that. I always wanted to come back to Aff though. I might have the chance to run it again so I've been scouring the books for some info on questions I had. I'll put another post on some interesting thing I found. Could be. Let me read your doc. It'd mean that the elves don't cut down trees.
SkinnyOrc wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:19 pm
It's an interesting example because it's AFF in it's first form, rather than from the solo FF gamebooks where you could argue occasional insta-death goes with the territory. I would like to see AFF2 dragon breath be more dangerous.
Me too. I get the feeling only hardcore players would want to play a game with such a high risk of death. I think those types of players would play in a way that doesn't put their characters in such a deadly spot as well.

darksoul
Knight

Post by darksoul » Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 am

@Skinnyorc

lol, first roll on your Characteristics generator and I got this :D

Personality Traits : Nymphomaniac
Noteable Features : Tells racist jokes, hook nose

SkinnyOrc
Hero

Post by SkinnyOrc » Sat May 25, 2019 8:05 am

darksoul wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 am
It'd mean that the elves don't cut down trees.
Yep that was my take on it. They use fire for crafts that need it such as weapon and armour smithing, jewellery and glasswork, but it's limited because they use only dead wood for fuel, although that would sometimes include whole trees that had come down naturally. As a result such items produced by the elves are only of the highest workmanship.

I also had it they'd take branches from live trees for woodworking that the Treeshapers had guided into particular shapes. I glossed over whether those are sawn off or the trees are persuaded to drop them. But either way it's a bit like pollarding but with the branches already perfect for the intended purpose.
darksoul wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 am
lol, first roll on your Characteristics generator and I got this :D

Personality Traits : Nymphomaniac
Noteable Features : Tells racist jokes, hook nose
Now that's an interesting character! :D