Shields and Helmets

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Shields and Helmets

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:55 pm

I’ve been mulling some alternative rules for helmets and shields and wanted your thoughts.

Imagining AFF as more of a dark age/early medieval setting I limited armour to chandail hauberk at the maximum. But at that time everyone had whopping great big shields (round shields, kite shields etc.). If a player takes a large shield then it does not give the usual bonus but instead counts like a breast plate when facing the attacker but gives no protection from other directions.

Helmets are also a major missing point for me so I count these like a small shield or large shield (big or small helmet) in the standard rules and allow the ignoring of certain critical hit results in the Viscera house rules.

Sukumvit

Re: Shields and Helmets

Post by Sukumvit » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 pm

I should think those mechanics will work just fine, yes; I was wondering, though, if you're dropping Titan in favour of a pseudo-Dark Ages setting, or re-imagining Titan? I've always liked the way that the tech level and culture of Titan seems to vary by quite a bit, depending on which region you're looking at (going from a lot of the artwork in FF/AFF books, a lot of villages and towns have that early medieval look, while many cities look practically Elizabethan - even including black powder weapons - and the Old World has more of an Ancient look and feel.) Are you cooking up a sandbox setting?

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:38 pm

It’s a sandbox reimagining Titan. I want to keep the variety of cultures but I’m modifying technology a bit and tweaking magic.

Just a bit of fun for the summer :)

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:10 pm

Ah, I see; sounds groovy. One of the best things about AFF is its adaptability; I quite fancy a Melnibone campaign, at some point (and Stellar Adventures has made the Dune campaign inevitable, now...)

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Sukumvit wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:10 pm
Ah, I see; sounds groovy. One of the best things about AFF is its adaptability; I quite fancy a Melnibone campaign, at some point (and Stellar Adventures has made the Dune campaign inevitable, now...)
Agree 100%, it’s one of the many reasons why I’m such a fan. I’m actually looking at blending SA and AFF, many ideas bobbing about in my head... now I just need to get things on paper.

What do you mean with Melnibone?

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Melnibone (a.k.a. The Dragon Isle) is from Michael Moorcock; it's the home of Elric. Chaosium produced an RPG called "Stormbringer" back in the 80's (it became "Elric" in the 90's,) and it was very good as far as source material is concerned, but the BRP system's combat mechanics are quite involved, and the Elric stories do involve quite a lot of battles. I always thought AFF's more cinematic, fast-moving combat would be a better fit.
The blend of AFF and Stellar Adventures sounds interesting. There's a lot more cross-over between fantasy and SF than people tend to think; just one (obvious) example would be a lot of the planets in the Star Wars mythos: they're essentially fantasy worlds with a sprinkling of hi-tech (Jabba's palace featured as many axes, pikes and staffs as blasters. Gamorrean Guards aren't entirely disimilar to Orcs, for that matter.) And in a Star Trek-style game, every time you land on a planet you could potentially find yourself in a quasi-medieval society.
I wonder if Arion's books will ever pursue the multi-genre possibilities of the system; Stellar Adventures could be the first in a series of off-shoots. I'd really like to see a horror version; it wouldn't be a massive task to cobble together something workable myself, but a proper handbook compiling the horror-themed spot rules, with a guide to classic horror tropes and different styles of horror game would be nice.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 am

I don’t know those settings/games so I’ll have to check them out. When I first read your message I saw Marlborough which brought images to me of the turn of 18th century: big wigs, big coats, big hats and lines of soldiers facing each other. That certainly would be a departure from the usual setting!

For horror it’s not my cup of tea but have had a look at Maelstrom, both the original and Doomsday? If you were to pick and mix from both of these (and Rome as well come to think of it) you could get some good ideas.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Sukumvit wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:38 pm
I wonder if Arion's books will ever pursue the multi-genre possibilities of the system; Stellar Adventures could be the first in a series of off-shoots. I'd really like to see a horror version; it wouldn't be a massive task to cobble together something workable myself, but a proper handbook compiling the horror-themed spot rules, with a guide to classic horror tropes and different styles of horror game would be nice.
Multi-genre resources would 100% get my vote. Something I always look for in a role-playing system is the potential for adaptability. One of the things (other than growing up with the original FF books) that really turned me on to AFF2 was that, by the time I discovered it, Stellar Adventures was already out. So here was a simple but effective RPG system that would allow adventuring in both fantasy and sci-fi genres. And that "sci-fi" ruleset also allowed for a whole range of sub-genres, from post-apocalyptic a la Mad Max, to cyberpunk, to grand space opera. With just those two models, we already have an enviably adaptable system.

But I'm always hungry for more. Horror is a fantastic suggestion. When I was a kid, one of the most thrilling features of the FF gamebooks was their ability to scare me just a little bit more than other gamebooks I'd played. (To be honest, Creature of Havoc still gives me the willies.) I would love to see that emotion explored further in AFF2 gaming materials. I'm already toying with the ideas of doing something either Cthulhu-esque or Ravenloft-related with the Unknown Land hinted at in the south-west corner of the Titan map. Survival horror is also something that could be explored - All Flesh Must Be Eaten's Dungeons and Zombies expansion caught my attention as allowing multi-genre play, before I found AFF2.

In short, multi-genres for AFF2: Yay!

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Hello again, peeps. HedgeWizard's suggestion of looking at the Maelstrom books is uncanny in its timing - I've recently been thinking of checking them out (particularly the Gothic variation, natch.) I agree with Dawndeath that the original FF books were a lot more committed to scaring us unsuspecting chidlers - and we loved it. In an era (mid-80's) when horror films were either on T.V. way past our bedtimes, or on VHS tapes that we couldn't legally obtain/see (assuming that they hadn't been flat-out banned,) FF was a reliable source of shocks and shivers. "House of Hell" was pretty full-on for its intended audience (in fact, I've got a feeling that W.H. Smith refused to stock it; and we all know about the banned "sacrificed woman" illustration.) "Beneath Nightmare Castle" is absolutely dripping with Lovecraftian horror (and more than its fair share of downright icky moments; a barrel full of severed heads, anyone? Yikes!)
I think multi-genre AFF books would have an eager audience; the Gamebooks happily strolled into a variety of genres, so there's no reason why the RPG shouldn't...

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 pm

Oh, and you're right about "Creature of Havoc;" double-yikes. And a holy-moly.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Sukumvit wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:42 pm
Hello again, peeps. HedgeWizard's suggestion of looking at the Maelstrom books is uncanny in its timing - I've recently been thinking of checking them out (particularly the Gothic variation, natch.)
Do! an excellent series (although I haven’t yet purchased Gothic). It’s been a real source of inspiration for me and I love the very unusual approach to magic. I’ve also used it for pure historical games.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Dawndeath, spot on with the comment about the breath of possibilities with SA. With AFF and SA you can do high fantasy, historical, modern, sci-fi of any description... if you can imagine it then you have the tools to do it. I’ve tried lots of different systems but nothing has beaten these ones for adaptability in my mind (ok with the exception of veeeery simple systems like RISUS but I don’t put that in the same group).

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:02 am

HedgeWizard wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:10 pm
Dawndeath, spot on with the comment about the breath of possibilities with SA. With AFF and SA you can do high fantasy, historical, modern, sci-fi of any description... if you can imagine it then you have the tools to do it.
Yipes! I didn't even think about the variety of fantasy play the AFF2 system - and especially inspirational material from the gamebooks - offers. I need to go back and expand my horizons a little. :lol: Time to pull out some of the old Fighting Fantasies again!
Sukumvit wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 pm
Oh, and you're right about "Creature of Havoc;" double-yikes. And a holy-moly.
I guess House of Hell gets an unholy-moly... :twisted:

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 am

I'll see your unholy-moly and raise you a Great Googly-Moogly! :shock: