AFF should be more popular

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Re: AFF should be more popular

Post by HedgeWizard » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks for the best wishes guys and The reminder to stay on topic!

Looking forward to hearing more news from you Graham!

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Hey, HedgeWizard. Hope everything's going well. Have you and your wife managed to get any sleep lately? And have you decided on a name?

Robb 1
Knight

Post by Robb 1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Apologies from me too sorry all even you sukumvit :wink: . Here here Hedgewizard congrats on your new offspring hope all are well. Most intrigued about Grahams upcoming news.

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:09 am

Just want to say I'm loving this thread - keep on going. I just thought the previous segway went a little far off kilter so wanted to reign it in a bit.

Congrats on the new gamer in your life, Hedgewizard!

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:40 am

Apologies, reminder noted.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks everyone I’m really touched, this is a great example of how friendly our little community is!

Everything is going wonderfully and we are getting a little sleep her and there.

But back to the matter in hand... any news Graham?

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Hey guys, going back to the fanzine idea... I've just remembered that TrollZine - the Tunnels and Trolls fanzine - was released free of charge on DriveThruRPG. Any reason why we couldn't do the same with our (hypothetical) AFF fanzine? I've no idea what's involved with getting publications made available for free on the website; anyone have any ideas whether we could do this?

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:14 pm

It certainly should be possible, yes, especially if there's a precedent like TrollZine; but it's something I don't have any technical knowledge of either, I'm afraid. Like you, Dawndeath, I think my contributions would be in the form of content. What we need is someone with a bit of e-publishing know-how to chip in. Anyone out there?

Perhaps, in order to draw more attention to this, we should...start a new thread? I'm told that's the appropriate way to handle things like this. What do you think?

As for Graham's news, I think it's looking like we'll have to wait until after FFF3, at the earliest. But good things come to those who wait, as they say!

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 am

Sorry guys, does anyone know how to access the new Fanzine forum? When I try to, I'm told I don't have permission to view or read topics on it. :cry:

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:56 am

I'm getting the same thing.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:06 am

Me too. When I log out I can read the forum thread, but not when I am logged..
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am

Please try now - I've copied the forum permissions for the AFF forum over to it (which I thought I had done in the first place....).

If it doesn't work I'll look into it at lunch or dinner time.

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:37 am

It works now, thanks!

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks Bifford.

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 am

So... the plans. Some of you may already know these if you were at FFF3...

Firstly is the Fanzine. You all know this anyway, but we now have formal approval to go ahead with that. I am hoping to get a few of these into games shops too to try and push things along.

Secondly, in conjunction with an experienced Software Engineer, we are working on a commercial Fantasy Grounds ruleset for AFF. This will allow you to play remotely and should have automation for combat, spellcasting, skill use etc. There will also be modules for Out of the Pit, BtP etc and the adventures and campaigns will also be converted to modules. This means that if you are playing over FG, you could open up the Crown of Kings campaign and see the maps, encounters, treasure, plot etc all in there and ready to go. The initial stages are the slowest, but within a few weeks we should be ready to push v0.2 to some testers!
FG has a new version of the base software coming out later this year with dynamic lighting and all sorts of other cool stuff and it has a very large user base. Having a ruleset for AFF should help expand our reach.

Thirdly, we will be collaborating with Robert Schwalb (one of the biggest names in gaming) on a new version of AFF, which should be a full colour glossy hardcover with new art and so on. The rules and text will be broadly the same (some tweaks, clarifications and rearrangement) but it will look very different. The plan is to KS this at the start of next year as a joint project.
This will not replace the existing softcover or Deluxe versions, although I may do a small revision of those at the same time to incorporate the minor changes, but will be an alternative format to own the game in.
The fantastic reputation of Robert, combined with the layout, art and design team he has will help the game reach a whole new audience, especially in the US and should drive sales of the whole line. If the core does well, it is possible other books will get the treatment too.

In addition to my plans, the brand new FF gamebook will also help raise the profile of the whole IP, and there are rumours that there are more in the works.

On the downside, I got very little traction about cross-promotion and cooperation between various licencees. I will keep banging that drum though!