AFF should be more popular

Sukumvit

Re: AFF should be more popular

Post by Sukumvit » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:44 pm

By the way, Dawndeath, is your username a reference to Evil Dead 2? (I do hope so... :twisted: )

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:34 pm

I would love to see a FF fanzine of the kind drbargle was suggesting - short, 'sweet', and almost entirely dedicated to FF. Don't get me wrong, I think Fighting Fantazine is great, but it would be kind of nice to have a little something to call our own. It could be a neat place to start gathering all the awesome fan-produced material we have here on the forum.

Graham's mention of joined-up marketing is definitely a good way to go for getting the AFF brand to people's attention. When I worked in the bookshop back in the UK, I was always recommending the FF gamebooks to customers, and most of them liked what they saw. If there were something in the gamebook marketing that also pointed readers towards AFF, we'd be sure to find a few more players. I remember coming across the original FF rpg through the gamebooks (and (not-so) patiently waiting the bookshop to order it for me) as my route into role-playing in general. No reason why it couldn't work again.

And Sukumvit, as much as I love the Evil Dead franchise, I'm afraid I can't cite that as the source of my username. It's actually from ICE's Middle-earth Role Playing, in which they (non-canonically) named one of the ringwraiths Indur Dawndeath. Been using it as a username all over the place ever since. No need to ask where your username comes from... :P 8)

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:46 pm

My "username?" Username? I AM SUKUMVIT!!! I DRINK BLOOD-WINE FROM THE HOLLOWED-OUT SKULL OF MY IDIOT BROTHER!!! ONE DAY, I SHALL RULE THE ENTIRE...

Got to go - mum's just called me in for my tea... :evil:

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:52 am

Mum just found out that I slightly "encouraged" that guy to kill my brother a bit, so now I'm grounded. Rats. I'm a very bad little baron. :evil:

I think I might re-design the dungeon again. And it's gonna be chock full o' crazy satanic weirdness, this time. Yep, I feel a dungeon coming on... :twisted:

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:14 am

"SUKUMVIT IS A WORM!" :P

But you do build good dungeons, so carry on! :mrgreen:

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:03 pm

From the super-secret diary of Sukumvit Charavask, Baron of Fang:

Stormsday: mum's still mad at me over this business of Carnuss being deaded and stuff. If I'd known I'd be in this much trouble, I would've killed him myself. I've been grounded for an entire week! Life sucks, sometimes. Spent the morning pulling the wings off flies, then got bored. Spent the afternoon doodling the layout of my new dungeon, then got bored again. Might as well tidy my room, I'm so bored. This is going to be a long week...

Moonsday: completed the design of the first room in the dungeon! First, they get hit by a shower of rancid honey, then they get swarmed by killer bees, then the whole sticky, buzzy mess gets rinsed off by a cascade of boiling oil, then they fall into a pit full of sewage; then, just as they're climbing out of the pit, the zombie clowns burst into the room...
Sweet! I am a clever little Baron. But I need to think of something that they have to collect to complete the dungeon. I've done the "gem stones" thing, and the "gold rings" thing, so...I'm considering a full deck of playing cards. If you don't find them all, you can't win. Dig it.

Fireday: bored again. Forests Golden is drawing near, and the trees are already doing that orangey-brown thing. Soon the leaves will be falling. But my bonsai are evergreens, so I don't care.
My bonsai are dead good. Sometimes, I talk to them, which is a bit weird. Sometimes, they talk back, which is even weirder.

Earthday: mum said we're having a pizza tonight! Sweet! Life is good, sometimes. Meanwhile, I'm too bored to keep a diary today, so I'm not going to bother and nobody can make me.

Windsday: ironically, it is actually windy today. Gives me an idea for a trap, but I need to work out how to install five giant fans in the dungeon. Not sure where to get a giant albino octopus, either. Bob and Mickey visited today; said planning permission for the new dungeon levels could be tricky. Finding builders might also be a challenge, as word's got around that I keep having them killed when they complete the job. Mickey calls it my "pharaoh shtick," whatever that means. I just like having them killed; where's the harm in that?

Seaday: this morning, one of the neighbours' kids spent over an hour running around below my window, shouting "Sukumvit is a worm!" Now, every kid in the street is doing it. In the afternoon, they started singing a weird song about rivers, for some reason (couldn't hear most of the words, but they kept mentioning the Kok.) So I dropped an axe out the window. Now I can work on my bestest-ever dungeon in peace. Tomorrow is the last day of my house-arrest, and then I can go out again! Sweet!

Highday: the parents of the kid who got hit by the axe spoke to mum last night; I'm grounded for another week. Life sucks, sometimes.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Sukumvit wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:03 pm
From the super-secret diary of Sukumvit Charavask, Baron of Fang:

Stormsday: mum's still mad at me over this business of Carnuss being deaded and stuff. If I'd known I'd be in this much trouble, I would've killed him myself. I've been grounded for an entire week! Life sucks, sometimes. Spent the morning pulling the wings off flies, then got bored. Spent the afternoon doodling the layout of my new dungeon, then got bored again. Might as well tidy my room, I'm so bored. This is going to be a long week...

Moonsday: completed the design of the first room in the dungeon! First, they get hit by a shower of rancid honey, then they get swarmed by killer bees, then the whole sticky, buzzy mess gets rinsed off by a cascade of boiling oil, then they fall into a pit full of sewage; then, just as they're climbing out of the pit, the zombie clowns burst into the room...
Sweet! I am a clever little Baron. But I need to think of something that they have to collect to complete the dungeon. I've done the "gem stones" thing, and the "gold rings" thing, so...I'm considering a full deck of playing cards. If you don't find them all, you can't win. Dig it.

Fireday: bored again. Forests Golden is drawing near, and the trees are already doing that orangey-brown thing. Soon the leaves will be falling. But my bonsai are evergreens, so I don't care.
My bonsai are dead good. Sometimes, I talk to them, which is a bit weird. Sometimes, they talk back, which is even weirder.

Earthday: mum said we're having a pizza tonight! Sweet! Life is good, sometimes. Meanwhile, I'm too bored to keep a diary today, so I'm not going to bother and nobody can make me.

Windsday: ironically, it is actually windy today. Gives me an idea for a trap, but I need to work out how to install five giant fans in the dungeon. Not sure where to get a giant albino octopus, either. Bob and Mickey visited today; said planning permission for the new dungeon levels could be tricky. Finding builders might also be a challenge, as word's got around that I keep having them killed when they complete the job. Mickey calls it my "pharaoh shtick," whatever that means. I just like having them killed; where's the harm in that?

Seaday: this morning, one of the neighbours' kids spent over an hour running around below my window, shouting "Sukumvit is a worm!" Now, every kid in the street is doing it. In the afternoon, they started singing a weird song about rivers, for some reason (couldn't hear most of the words, but they kept mentioning the Kok.) So I dropped an axe out the window. Now I can work on my bestest-ever dungeon in peace. Tomorrow is the last day of my house-arrest, and then I can go out again! Sweet!

Highday: the parents of the kid who got hit by the axe spoke to mum last night; I'm grounded for another week. Life sucks, sometimes.
Stuff like this would be perfect for a fanzine... Just sayin'. 8)

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm

I’ve been following this discussion with interest but a new born baby has been keeping my hands occupied preventing me replying.

That said a couple of things which are coming up and which I agree with:

Community, Community, Community! There is nothing in AFF’s or indeed any RPG’s mechanics which makes it uniquely superior to all others. It is the community around the rules which makes them live. This forum is critical and as has already been said needs to be kept active but I also like the idea of a fanzine.

If we do a fanzine it will be by fans and free, but should look great. If we want to bring people in we need to invest the time in it as a community. This would be a great opportunity for us to show our passion and be a living advert for AFF. There has to be people in our community who have some great skills which could be put to good use here.

Cross pollinate with our international brethren. As Graham has already pointed out there is a big AFF world out there of which we are a part. Let’s build some bridges (the internet gives us a communication means which was not available in the 70’s/80’s) and share ideas, adventures... make people see how big this is!

Linking up with other FF franchises where possible such as the books, series etc. Would be great if possible but that all depends on what contracts allow and how the other parties are willing to help. All we can do is cross our fingers for Graham et al.

The whole Arion team have/are doing a fantastic job producing content for AFF but if we want this to be populaire then we need to do some of the heavy lifting. I have no doubt that we can do this!

HedgeWizard
Adventurer

Post by HedgeWizard » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Another point on the forum: Keeping it as the friendly, welcoming and exceptionally polite place which it is. A closed group with lots of in jokes, snearing about others and being short tempered and rude is an absolute killer for any ruleset.

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:42 pm

Just got in and need to hit the hay, so I'll keep this brief. First things first: congratulations on the new baby, HedgeWizard! Boy, girl or Thing? I bet their first words will be "critical hit!"... :lol:

The zine idea is something we need to have a serious think about. I don't think there'll be a shortage of potential contributors; the logistics will be the tricky bit. But I think it's entirely do-able.

Totally agree about the necessity of keeping the forum friendly and respectful. Anyone who's spent any time on Star Wars fan-sites over the last few years will know how ugly fandom can get. The Call vs Trail of Cthulhu wars weren't pretty, either. Play nicely, children!

Nighty-night.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:16 am

Agree with HedgeWizard 100%. (Also congrats by the way. :mrgreen: )

I don't consider myself to have any particular skills relevant to producing a zine, but I'm happy to contribute what I can. Might be able to russle up a few home-grown monsters or house rules, some articles, maybe even an adventure or two, depending what people think should be included. I know it will be hard work and challenging organisationally speaking, but I'm keen for this. Like I said, I think it would be really special and maybe even a bit of a draw to new players if we have something to show from the community that is uniquely ours - something distinctively Fighting Fantasy. Maybe if we could capture something of the atmosphere of the old Fighting Fantasies, where you really felt like you were a part of the world, and not just playing another RPG. That was what kept me coming back for more.

Sukumvit

Post by Sukumvit » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:19 pm

Following on from what drbargle was saying the other day, we would need to establish if the zine being non-profit would free us from copyright issues; would providing acknowledgements be sufficient? This also leads into the question of canon vs. non-canon; if the content wasn't considered "official," presumably it would free contributors to experiment a lot more?
How Titan has developed over the last four decades is something I've always wondered about, in a more general sense. As Andrew Wright said in "Beyond the Pit," one of the strengths of the setting has always been its "gonzo approach" to world-building; every time a new gamebook was published, a new district or region was added, along with new monsters, personalities, items, magic, etc. It all became canon by virtue of being published. Now, did Ian and Steve have a veto over what was and wasn't allowed to be added to the world, or did they take a hands-off approach, allowing authors a free reign? I know that Runequest suffered from Greg Stafford's tight control of Glorantha, to the point where writers despaired of submitting scenarios and source-books because Stafford was continually changing his mind about aspects of the world, over-ruling their ideas (a practice that became known as "being Gregged.") I'm not aware of this being the case with Titan, but I don't really know what Ian and Steve's position is. But hopefully, as long as nobody was making money from a zine, it wouldn't be a problem anyway.
Last edited by Sukumvit on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:53 pm

I would hope the Powers That Be wouldn't have any issues with a 100% unofficial and not-for-profit fanzine, and would be okay with granting us a bit of freedom to explore, experiment and expand, as it were. But in the spirit of keeping the community (which includes the creators themselves) friendly and open, I think it's definitely right for us to look for confirmation before we proceed too far. Perhaps it's something Graham could talk to Ian and Steve about at FFF3 at the end of the month, as well as the joined-up marketing ideas.

In the meantime, I'm going to start scribbling down some ideas. If the fanzine doesn't work out, I can always post them here instead. :mrgreen:

bottg
Site Admin

Post by bottg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:35 pm

I will post a much longer email shortly about this, and will try and collate some of your thoughts before FFF3 so I can speak to Steve and Ian there.

But I have also just had an email which might solve much of the problem... I just can't say any more at the moment.

Dawndeath
Adventurer

Post by Dawndeath » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:13 pm

bottg wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:35 pm
But I have also just had an email which might solve much of the problem... I just can't say any more at the moment.
How intriguing... :shock: